mmk...when playing with distortion sometimes when I strike a high D (15 on B string), the open D string rings softly...and I didn't even touch it.

Does this have something to do with harmonics?

2ndly - is there any way to ...nvm...ok lets say youve got the guitar slung around your neck and you've got your pointer finger on a fret, any fret, so that if you were to strike it it would sound.

is there any way to take your finger off the string without having the open string sound??

Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Kinda, the vibrations are going through your string, into your bridge, and vibrating the other strings.

I dont understand your second question sorry.
Been away, am back
i think you're talking about tapping on your second question? i would say palm mute. and it wont make much of a sound. but any movment at all is gonna cause some vibrations, which equate to sound. a heavy palm mute when you pull off should do the trick though.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
Are you saying that when you take your finge roff after playing a note?

If so try pulling off more slowly so that you finger is still in contact with the string even after leaving the fret this will deaden any sound and don't "flick it off as that will make a sound

ALso lightly mute the strings to stop the ringing
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
ok the first question is simple. the string you are plucking is causing the others to ring not much to do about it.

second question is a no. you cannot take your finger off the string and have it keep the same note that you plucked.
the first question has already been answered....for the second one, try to lift your finger softly, if you lift it at once really fast it will make some sound, kind of like a pull-off
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by tamargoguitar
the first question has already been answered....for the second one, try to lift your finger softly, if you lift it at once really fast it will make some sound, kind of like a pull-off

you do realize that if you pick your finger up softly that it will instantly mute the string. you have to do it fast so you dont mute the string. thats the only way to do it. and a pull of is done fast.
Quote by rocknrollgod
you do realize that if you pick your finger up softly that it will instantly mute the string. you have to do it fast so you dont mute the string. thats the only way to do it. and a pull of is done fast.

isnt that what he wants, to not make the string sound when he lifts his finger?

maybe i didnt get the question?

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
1. I rest my palm on the bridge of the guitar. This prevents any sympathy ringing from occuring. Just make sure it's not fixed; when you go down a string your picking hand should move as well. From the arm, not the wrist in other words. So many sure it's lightly rested and that it moves.

2. As others have stated, it's definently an acquired skill and takes grace. Just play it right everytime and when you can speed it up, go for it. But don't sacrafice technique for speed.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
1st- yeah, the string is vibrating, so the open tone kinda comes out. That happens all the time to me.

2. Well...just lift it off. I never had a problem with that :X

Try making sure you are lifting off and not pulling off/sliding off. That should help.
ur first question is caused by something called resonance..when the freq of one string meets the freq of another it will cause that one to vibrate..try using diff strings ...and second question...just palm mute them or pull off slower
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun