When most guitarists solo, they go over the whole fretboard. Do you somehow link scales together? When I solo I just go up and down one scale in one key which is like 12 or so notes. The solo is bland and is just repeated lics after about 30 seconds. I know this is a strange question and I had a hard time wording it but if you can help, thanks.

by the way, i use pentatonic scales, if that helps at all.
yeah. if u start on the second note of the minor penmtantonic and play a major pentantonic shape, all the notes will be oin the scale. u then gotta learn modes or jst learn the scale on one string, then the next,. etc etc etc
I used to write the scale (every note in it) out over the entire fretboard(24 frets) on a piece of paper. next make little exercises for yourself using just one mode and/or just one string at a time
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I kind of get what you guys are saying, but I can't really practice it at all...can anyone help me further? The site reccomended above doesn't work.

thanks
dont always stick to one scale when soloing....man i should write an article about this........

well if you ARE going to stay in one scale......

learn in the 7 8 9 fret region, under the 12th fret, and in the 15 16 17 fret region, really if you do that you should have no problem.....of course everytime you solo you are not always going to sound like vai

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by _Buxton_
I kind of get what you guys are saying, but I can't really practice it at all...can anyone help me further? The site reccomended above doesn't work.

thanks

sorry about the link

http://www.visualguitar.com/vg-1-0.php

second box down on the site, Launch Visual Guitar, it opens a thing where you can choose a key and see the notes on the fretboard

if the link fails just go to visualguitar.com
BUXTON,
If you listen closely to solos that have been recorded fast or slow a majority of them use scales, but they select notes from the scale to make phrases. Example: your first riff is the statement phrase the second riff is the answer phrase. When you take a solo think of it like you are telling a story you will find that the end result will be more interesting. If you are moving up and down the fret board you can always take the scale up two or three octaves in a horizontal direction for more movement. If you want a simple example of what I am taking about listen to ?Smells Like Teen Spirit? a classic example of statements & answers.
so if i m***rize this:

F.1 F.2 F.3 F.4 F.5 F.1
|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|
|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|-|o|-|-|o|

if that is the whole fretboard, i can improvise on that based on the lesson/the guy in the video?
try not to think of scales as shape 1 shape 2 etc, try octaves instead. eg

e----------------------------5
b----------------------5--8
g----------------5--7
d-----------5--7
a------5--7
e-5--8

the 1st position scale minor pentatonic contains 3 roots. use the root notes as checkpoints to map out a run through the scale. so instead of moving through one shape or playing a few licks in one shape, (which theres nothing wrong with) when you hit a root slide into the next shape

e-----------------------------------8/12--------------------------15--17vvvv
b----------------------------8--10------13--------------15--17--------
g--------------------------9-----------------14--12/14-----------------
d-----------------5/7--10------------------------------------------------
a---3h5p3----7---------------------------------------------------------
e-5--------5/8-----------------------------------------------------------

a simple example i made up just this second using simple arpeggios
it does help to learn where you roots are amongst the shapes and know where your b3 5 and b7 notes are aswell

e e
b b------------8-10
g g----------9----
d-----------5--7 d--7--10--------
a--------7----- a
e--5--8------- is the same as e

the second is the same notes just an octave higher, the positions of the notes are always the same except on the b string where they move up a semitone.

hope this give you a new look on things trigs
f**k the computer messed up my second example but just think about it and it will make sense
I'm having the same problem.. I have like no theory knowledge so I don't understand what you guys mean by roots, keys, octaves, phrases, etc.
ive just submitted a lesson covering all the above in the basic section please check it out when its listed