Ok, Guitars for blues, hollow bodies and solid bodies, which are best?
i'm talking price, pick-ups and wood, i just need to know some good ones to see for saving up

I hear
LPs
Strats
and gibson acoustics are good but are there any slightly cheaper ones that are good quality?

(also dont bother asking about budget, just post a good set, but i need to know cheaper ones that are good quality)
There is no best. You can play any genre of music on any guitar.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Go to a place that sells guitars and try out the gibsons and strats for yourself and see which suits you best
My friends got the SRV, and I like the way that sounds. Decent bit of money though. You could get yourself a cheap strat or strat knockoff and throw on some TexMex pups.

In general I prefer Strats or some Teles. But it's all preference. Some people like LPs. I agree to an extent with whoever said earlier that you can play any style wiht any guitar.
Quote by ufossuck

This, from someone who attacks Nirvana in their signature...

Les Pauls and Strats are great for blues. Depends on what kind of blues you want. I love the extra loudness an LP has for blues. It can't do what the Strat can do, but the Strat can't do what the LP can do very well. They're different animals. As a bonus, the LP is great for metal, hard rock, pretty much anything. The Strat is AMAZING for everything that isn't very heavy, though the new SCM pickups Strats now come with allow you to get a good metal tone, with the right rig.

I think you get what you pay for. A Gibson LP Standard will probably be better than a comparable Epiphone LP. Not to knock Epiphone, they make AMAZING guitars at an excellent price.

What kind of blues? Stevie Ray Vaughan, Clapton? Strat. Alot of the black blues greats use LPs, along with the ES guitars. 'Buckers can do a great blues, but it's not the same as Strat blues. Those are the two different schools of tone. It's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I'd save up, get an LP/Strat, and save up, and get the other one. They're both such great guitars, that, for me, I'd want both, for different reasons.

EDIT: DON'T go to Guitar Center to play Strats. PERIOD. GC has some nice LPs, usually, but their Strats aren't Strats. They stop the bridge from floating (which can chip the finish off of the body), no tremolo bar, RIDICULOUSLY thin string guages (Fender seems to think .9's are tolerable for Strats... bull****, you need atleast 10's, 11's are preferable, unless you're playing Yngwie stuff) and because of the bridge being set to the body, and the thin strings, there's NO effing string tension AT ALL. It's not worth playing their Strats. I don't know where you could try out a real, properly set up Stratocaster, but I'd imagine pawn shops and local music stores would be your best bet. Or, ask a friend who has one to try his out.
Last edited by oddling8 at Aug 23, 2006,
Anything but strats.
Particularly hollows, semi-hollows.
Track down a nice 335 copy.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
Anything but strats.

???????????????????? strats rock! teles are good to, and fairly cheap. i think im gonna get one here soon.
I dont want "Try them out" i want to know what are good, I'm starting to learn just all blues i can, I'm getting a fender american strat, but this will suck all my money so i want a budget guiitar (I'm getting my heavier one for christmas off my dad) but a guitar that has hums are preferable, what do hollow bodies have to offer?
Quote by captain_jack
???????????????????? strats rock! teles are good to, and fairly cheap. i think im gonna get one here soon.

I just can't be bothered going into the whole "Strats vs. every other guitar in the entire world" is best for blues arguments.

Quote by 2muchTV
My friends got the SRV, and I like the way that sounds. Decent bit of money though. You could get yourself a cheap strat or strat knockoff and throw on some TexMex pups.

In general I prefer Strats or some Teles. But it's all preference. Some people like LPs. I agree to an extent with whoever said earlier that you can play any style wiht any guitar.

If he's gonna do that, he might aswell get one of these.
They're affordable, and they don't look too shabby.
I personally love strats for blues, but LPs, teles, and hollow bodies will work just as well.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I'm already gettin a strat, I'm thinking a good Les Paul copy (Agile seem good) but i also hear hollow bodies are good, but i dont know much about them
Of course, Blues just doesn't have one sound. Certain guitars are better for certain Blues, which allows Blues to be a universal genre for many guitars, thus utilizing a vast majority of sounds.

In other words, it all depends on what you play, what you want to sound like, and how you play.

Also, amps are another thing to put into question. What will you or what do you think you will be using?
It depends on what I'll be using ampwise, I'm getting a chunk of money soon to put towards an amp but I'm getting the most versatile one i can get, but I'm talking guitars, I know every guitar can do things but lets get this straight

1.I'm looking for a budget but good GUITAR
2.I want it to excell in blues more than any other genre
3.I want opinions not "go try it out" "i think you dont need another guitar" etc etc
Quote by StaggHound
Anything but strats.
Particularly hollows, semi-hollows.
Track down a nice 335 copy.

You're a ****ing idiot. Don't bother sharing your opinion when it goes against the majority of the most influential players of all time.

If you want blues, and already have a Strat, and are leaning towards an LP, I can't say from personal experience, but I've heard great things about Agiles. LPs are quite expensive, and I can't really say how good the Studio is. Good luck.
Well i'm getting a strat which is why I'm on a buget, i cant afford an LP studio but cnt proably afford an agile shipped over, but i want to know if it'd be worth getting a hollow body?
Quote by oddling8
You're a ****ing idiot. Don't bother sharing your opinion when it goes against the majority of the most influential players of all time.

List them.

List every influential blues player who used a strat and no other guitar.
Then list every influential blues played who did not use a strat.

That attitude is the reason why I said anything but a strat.

Lots of different blues artists use different things, some use strats, some use LP's some use hollow bodies. In my opinion hollow bodies sound the best for classic blues but strats are the great for electric blues. But hell i have seen a guy play a wicked solo on a flying V
i think you would prefer a semi hollow such as a gibson es 335 or similar

as opposed to a hollowbody like a gibson l-5 or johhny smith

and strats are amazing, i love mine
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by ufossuck

Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by oddling8
EDIT: DON'T go to Guitar Center to play Strats. PERIOD. GC has some nice LPs, usually, but their Strats aren't Strats. They stop the bridge from floating (which can chip the finish off of the body), no tremolo bar, RIDICULOUSLY thin string guages (Fender seems to think .9's are tolerable for Strats... bull****, you need atleast 10's, 11's are preferable, unless you're playing Yngwie stuff)...

You managed to sound reasonably sane until you edited in that crap. Nothing
but total blather.
My #1 choice for the blues is a good tele. Excellent playability and sound. My #2 would be a Gibson es-335 or es-345. Of course, the tele is also much more affordable.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Les Paul (Agile) for me but my main man Eric Clapton makes those Strats sing... I never liked Strats but they have a good sound - just always played Les Pauls and the Strats feel like Balsa wood after shouldering Pauls for 40 years...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Les Paul (Agile) for me but my main man Eric Clapton makes those Strats sing... I never liked Strats but they have a good sound - just always played Les Pauls and the Strats feel like Balsa wood after shouldering Pauls for 40 years...

he was making les pauls sing before strats
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon