I'm looking to purchase a JCM900 212 combo, or a 112 then adding on with an Ext cab later on. I did a search on mysimon.com for JCM900 and with a space in between as well, but it yielded no results for any actual amps.

Are these out of production or something? I can't seem to find anyone with a new one online. Do I HAVE to buy this used? (I'd rather buy used in great condition anyway, I'm just curious about the lack of availability on these).

Anyway.. I know you'll recommend ebay, so please don't.. Are there any other good places to find a JCM 900? I'm looking for whatever version has the most versatility. I want a nice modern rock mid/high gain sound as well as a possible DECENT classic rock sound. (Modern is much more important than classic though).

Tones I want this thing to nail or come close to:
Foo Fighters (Everlong, Learn to Fly, DOA, Best of You)
Goo Goo Dolls (Long Way Down - MOST preferred tone!)
*I asked about which amps John used for playing, and I got a response of JCM900 mixed with a Triple Recto for recording/layering. In the live videos of this song, I find him using Marshalls, I just can't depict which model it is*
Anberlin (I hear these guys used TSLs, I'm assuming the 900 will come close to that sound?)
Alter Bridge (I know it'll be tough to nail this tone without a Dual/Triple Recto, but how close do you think the JCM would get? )

That's pretty much it. Any sort of mid/hard rock sound I like.. As well as pop punk and punk rock sounds.

One more thing I need help with.. WHAT model do I get? On HC.com there's a listing of a crap load of different reissues and models and such.. The only ones I've really heard of are the SLXs. (I also heard they were based more for metal/high gain tones as well).

Also, do any of the JCM900s have headphone jacks that disable the internal speaker? Don't wanna piss off the roommate. :P

I think that's all...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Their out of production. Marshall do a re-issue of the JCM900 4100 which is a head and cab, I dont think theres a re-issue combo... never tried them before, apperantly they sound a little different to the orginals. The SL-X models I beleive have more gain, but I'm not sure. Ebay, magazine & website classifieds are the only place I can think of at the moment for buying an orginal.
And no, the JCM900's dont have headphone jacks, but you could always get a volume box (Its designed for amp volume and you stick in bettwen your fx loop... only seen on ebay though ) Or an attenuator.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Check out the Dual Reverb versions. they are very versitile. You are better off buying used since thats the only way. The SL-X's have an extra gain section while the dual reverbs are based on the dual channel JCM800's. both great amps. But for you I'd go with the 4502 model (50w 2x12 Dual Reverb combo). My personal favorite model is the 4100. But yea, they can do modern and vintage tones, but they are slightly more for modern tones. I think you'll like one. If you don't want to use eBay, JCM900 are readily available online in private shops. Go to a local music shop/Guitar Center and see if they have one. Or do a search on yahoo for things like "used JCM900", etc.....good luck

why don't you like eBay? Its the best place online to buy used things. just use PayPal

Check out this one
Last edited by Gutch220 at Aug 23, 2006,
Ive owned my JCM900 4102 (100watt 2x12 combo) for like...hell I dont know..a LONG time. And I love that thing to death. The Hi-Gain Dual Reverbs are the best ones out there IMO, as well as some of the best Marshalls ever made.

It does all the tones you want very well and a lot more. Its a very versitile amp. Built rock solid too, I wont even get into the kind of things Ive put mine through but it never fails to rock day in and day out.

If you can find one, get one. Theyre really friggan sweet amps dude!
Can the high gain ones do low gain stuff as well?

Kind of a stupid question.. but the best amp I've owned so far is a cube, and sometimes I wish I could get the recto model sound with some less gain or less harshness to it. I don't really care for the other models on it, they all sound really bassy/muddy. Palm muting doesn't really sound like it should... So anyway, I'm just not sure if high gain stuff can do low gain as well, as based on the performance my cube has given me.

Oh and, I want a 50w model. 100w is overkill for me, since I don't really have a band I'm playing with at the moment. Everyone around here is either talentless or has a bad taste in "music". (Growlcore).

I'm guessing the stock speakers in these things are good enough to give me a great tone? Not muddy or unclear or anything? I really don't feel like swapping speakers once I get it. :P

Also, do any of the models have a power selector? It'd be nice if I could run it in 25w mode.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

I'm pretty sure the 100w models have a 100/50w switch, and the 50w models have a 50/25 switch......but this will slightly change the tone since your changing from pentode to triode operation. The stock speakers are prett good. They probably come with G12T-75's which are the most popular speakers of all time. It can do cleans and low-gain stuff really good as well. Its not a Fendery or Voxy type-type clean though, its a Marshall clean which sound more punchy I guess, not twangy or chimey. Try both amps out if you are really unsure
Problem is, there are hardly any dealers around here that carry tube amps. There's just one store, but the only tube amps they stock are XXX and 6505 stacks. And of course, used tube amps. I remember seeing a Marshall in there about a month ago, but I don't recall the exact model... But I'm pretty sure if it were a JCM800/900 I would've tried it, so I doubt it was one of those.

Come to think of it.. I'm pretty positive it was a Plexi. Hrmm.

I think some guy semi close to here (About a 15-20 minute drive) has a personal rig in back of his Tshirt shop. I guess he uses the place as a recording studio. I recall seeing some JCM900s in there, not sure about the wattage though.

How will the tone differ if I use the switches?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

IMO, switching to triode (or half wattage) sounds kinda like you threw a blanket over the amp/cabinet which can be good or bad depending on what you like. the difference isn't THAT much though. I know you don't like ebay, but its seriously the best way to go. I've bought three amps off ebay over the years, all trouble free.
Oh, I never said I didn't like ebay. I just said don't recommend it, as ebay is so huge these days that it's pretty much a standard of buying used or new.. well.. anything. :P

The only tube amp I've ever played was a Peavey 6505.. I wasn't sure how many watts were on it, but it was a stack so I'm guessing at least 50. However, the guy who was assisting me with looking around at gear pretty much dialed in a tone for me. I had to go shortly after trying it, so I didn't get a chance to fiddle around, or check the settings. I'm not sure what the volume was at..

Can I play a tube combo at bedroom levels that won't disrupt anyone else if I just turn the volume knob a sliver? Or does it jump from nothing to fairly loud on 50w?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Yeah the 100watt 900 can do either 100 or 50 watts. When set to 50watts it sounds a lot better when at high volumes though.

The 900 isnt an either too quiet amp or a too loud amp, the volume doesnt jump in other words.
Quote by sg-rocker173

Can I play a tube combo at bedroom levels that won't disrupt anyone else if I just turn the volume knob a sliver? Or does it jump from nothing to fairly loud on 50w?

They are really loud, but you can still play them at a relatively low volume since they have a master volume. I don't think you'll have a problem
I've been playing the 4502 High Gain Dual Reverb 50 watt version for a couple years now and its PLENTY of amp for all venue sizes. I've played at bars that hold 50 people and clubs that pack 1000-2000 people and its suitable for either. I usually use a cabinet for the bigger gigs, though...not that it needs it but because it fattens up the tone a little bit. I also replaced the G12T-75's with V30's and it also makes a huge difference in tone. Its less offensive through the mix than the G12T-75's.
JJ EL34's in the poweramp section delivers great one with alot of headroom. I usually have the master volume on 5-6 on the lead channel and 4.5-5 on the clean channel.
Hope this helps as its a great all around amp that delivers almost any artists tone.
Great for a coverband.