Hey everyone,

I have been recently looking into an OD/Distortion Pedal(really dont know the difference but I know there is one...)

To put it simply I am looking for suggestions on some..

I have a VOX AD50VT and was wonderin as I have heard it does not take pedals very well....can someone tell me in detail about this?

I play a lot of stuff from A7X to Pantera to Metallica and IMO the VOX ain't cuttin it for me..

I was looking into the Jekyll And Hyde Pedal and was wonderin if it was heavy enough any other suggestions please...

Price range I'd guess anything most likely 100-200 you could say I will save up as soon as I find a nice one...

So yeah any input welcome
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Line 6 uber metal pwns boss metal zone
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Don't get the BOSS Metal Zone. That pedal sucks.

Get the BOSS Overdrive/Distortion pedal. It's the most versatile pedal.. as far as what you're talking about.. is concerned.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by washburndean
Don't get the BOSS Metal Zone. That pedal sucks.

Get the BOSS Overdrive/Distortion pedal. It's the most versatile pedal.. as far as what you're talking about.. is concerned.

no way. for what this guy is trying to play that pedal wont have near enough power. i have a ds-2 and even it doesnt have quite what it takes to play that kinda stuff.
your better off getting an individual overdrive and the line 6 metal pedal, you'd be in better shape then. I've played both the boss and the marshall od/distortion pedal and i wasn't to impressed with them, as compared to having an overdrive and a distortion pedal
Quote by bambi_slaughter
no way. for what this guy is trying to play that pedal wont have near enough power. i have a ds-2 and even it doesnt have quite what it takes to play that kinda stuff.

Dude it doesnt take all that much distortion to sound like all those hardcore metal bands er watever. They dont use as much gain as you think. The MT-2 sucks.

As you develope your skill and your ear, youll find that you dont need 20 dimed out 'metal' pedals to sound good. Youll learn that theres a fine line between the RIGHT amount of distortion and TOO MUCH distortion.

Distortion only goes so far, everything beyond a certain point is just extra noise and feedback and hissing.

Plus when you use too much distortion you cant really develope your skill because it just hides your mistakes behind that nasty wall of gain and everything sounds the same.

Ok, threadstarter, the Jekyll and Hyde is an AWESOME pedal. Especially for a pedal that has both Overdrive and Distortion. Between the two you can dial in more gain then youll ever need.
oh yeah for hardcore you dont really need alot of distortion, just scoop your mids and i have my distortion only mabye half way on an extreme distortion pedal
AH thanks for the suggestions so BOSS is out of the question? I hear a lot of mixed stuff on the MT-2 more of it bein crappy though... as for the line 6 heard a lot dont know as well line 6 they make the spiders >.> the Jekyll And Hyde I need to check out but i dont think my local guitarcenter carries it as for that thye dont have a good selection of pedals either...

How about a PODXT? how would that do

O and this might help

My guitar im using this crappy fender starcaster from costco its alright it sounds nice with the vox other than that its pretty much crap and I won't be getting a new guitar soon...
Its all single coils to so yeah... maybe a pup upgrade? or would that jus be wasting money on a crap guitar....
I need a new guitar
it won't be as much of an upgrade as an amp, but if you are using single coils now, a pup upgrade to hums would be very beneficial. Just keep your stock ones, and when you upgrade your guitar down the road, anything you put in now can go with you to the new guitar.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i have a boss ds-2 and its pretty hardcore with the right guitar......
full distortion, full volume, tone at 3 o clock
bass on full, trebs 3o clock, mids 9 o clock
EDIT: nevermind i forgot you had a VOX.....theyre not high gain enough....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
electro harmonix metal muff
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
I second the metal muff.
Although, Ive played a MT-2, and it sounded really good. I was looking for a distortion for my Twin, and all others sounded tinny and bad. And by no means am I into crazy amounts of distortion, but rather the opposite, I prefer clean. But for when I do need distortion, I think im gonna turn to the MT-2, as it has a huge range of options.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Wow mixed ... So metal muff,MT-2,J and H,and the line 6? between those I guess

I still woudl like to know about hwo it would work on the VOX and also if a PODXT or something like that would be helpful also?
I need a new guitar
My valvetronix takes my overdrive pedal very well. Don't be hooking some huge pedal chain to it though...

And why would you need a podxt to go with a modeling amp?
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
Quote by CheeseMuffin909
My valvetronix takes my overdrive pedal very well. Don't be hooking some huge pedal chain to it though...

And why would you need a podxt to go with a modeling amp?

well i was wonderin if the podxt could be a better solution becuz it has more "stuff" and i could use it for other things

which pedal do you have? and how does it sound

and oh im not looking into not that many effects the vox has enufff
I need a new guitar
Well, I have a Digitech Bad Monkey, I mainly use it to smoothe out my tone. Basically I use my gain set at about 4 on the vox and the gain on the monkey set at 10. It sounds fantastic. I think you should get a DISTORTION pedal, NOT an overdrive pedal. Run the distortion over one of the clean models(blackface or boutique are my faves). It will improve your sound I gaurantee.

The difference between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal is that a distortion pedal adds more gain, the overdrive pedals are meant to overdrive tube amps, thus they don't load on alot of gain. So an overdrive just wouldn't be ballsy enough for the tones you're looking for.

As for the pedals.

I would reccomend either the new Metal Muff, or the Krank Distortus Maximus.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
thanks CheeseMuffin909

well i guess ill look into the metal muff

but i need more distortion im not looking into putting it on the clean models =P
I need a new guitar
Go for something Boss just try em out and see what fits your style of play.
Quote by Osiris77
Go for something Boss just try em out and see what fits your style of play.

Would GuitarCenter let me buy or like take it home to try out on my stuff?
I need a new guitar
Quote by Guitargod12345
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

The above posts say it is crap?
I need a new guitar
Quote by Guitargod12345
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

No. Just no. We've already established that thats not the solution.

About Guitar Center: No, I dont think theyd let you just 'take it home to try it out'. Ah the downfall of corperate businesses. BUT you can buy it and if you dont like it you have 30 days to return it.
Thanks^

Arr I honestly dont want to go back and forth lol ... Anyone know more about the Line 6 uber metal? How about a tubescreamer?
I need a new guitar
the boss metal zone sucks. period.

the line 6 is pretty good if you play THAT music. a tubescreamer might not be heavy enough (but i've heard good things about ibanez tube screamers), mabye a dimebag signature pedal?
Quote by scott5150
Man someone needs to make a vid of an armless and legless ethiopian watching a donut roll down the hill, and then he starts using his teeth to pull him towards the donut. That would just be good filmaking right there.
Quote by Ka$h
Thanks^

Arr I honestly dont want to go back and forth lol ... Anyone know more about the Line 6 uber metal? How about a tubescreamer?

No problemo my man.

And the TubeScreamer is an overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal. An overdrive, as the name suggests, simulates the sound of an overdriven tube amp. Also theyre used to give an amps crunch channel more gain.
alright so i have narrowed it down to the j and h and also the metal muff?
I need a new guitar