I was reading up on the vox ad50vt and it has a dial on the back that allows you to change the wattage. In the manual it says that the Vox amp sounds best when it is at high volumes, like a tube amp, so if you don't want the amp to be too loud you should turn the master volume up and turn the wattage down. I know that most solid state amps sound best at low volumes, so I was wondering if this statement by vox was just a marketing ploy or if the amp really does sound better at higher volumes?
Quote by Salzary
I was reading up on the vox ad50vt and it has a dial on the back that allows you to change the wattage. In the manual it says that the Vox amp sounds best when it is at high volumes, like a tube amp, so if you don't want the amp to be too loud you should turn the master volume up and turn the wattage down. I know that most solid state amps sound best at low volumes, so I was wondering if this statement by vox was just a marketing ploy or if the amp really does sound better at higher volumes?

I own the amp and well I havent really tried it but I already like the cleans at a low volume im pretty sure it will sound nice at higher to.. I doubt they would say something like that for a "marketing ploy" also you can hook it up to a cab if you need the power..
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
just opinion, but from what I've seen and heard, mostly marketing ploy. The Vox is definitely one of the better hybrid amps though IMO, their hybrid design is one of the better ones. They use a preamp tube(s) in a seperate section, in between the normal preamp and power amp stages, to simulate a tube tone and give it a warmer sound. Not quite a real tube amp, but better than most of thier competitors as far as hybrids.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
It sounds horrible at loud volumes imo. I dont like the sound at all. It just loses its tone.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT