I play guitar anywhere from about 2-5 hours a day on average, sometimes I play less or more, but usually around 2-5. Recently I have been playing everyday, seeing as it is summer, and playing a lot. Since about late July, my right shoulder feels like it's burning. I don't know if any of you know what I mean, but the muscles burn. Is there any reason related to playing guitar that could have caused this, and is there a way to fix it?
take a break, it seems like muscle exhaustion and overexertion...have you recently started playing standing up? if so, it maybe that your muscles still need to get used to the strain...that's why i set aside some of my practice time to get a few push-ups in; have to stay in shape to avoid problems such as this - if none of the above apply, then try a painkiller and see a doctor
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
dont play for a day and if the problem persists go get yourself checked
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by axe_grinder247
take a break, it seems like muscle exhaustion and overexertion...have you recently started playing standing up? if so, it maybe that your muscles still need to get used to the strain...that's why i set aside some of my practice time to get a few push-ups in; have to stay in shape to avoid problems such as this - if none of the above apply, then try a painkiller and see a doctor

I never play for more than like 2 hours straight, and I'm in decent shape. I guess I should go see a doctor if it doesn't stop. Thanks guys.
i have this feeling too when i havent played for some time and then play for ours. in my case it was just muscle ache cause i lift up my right shoulder while playing
Quote by Wiggie
Is there any reason related to playing guitar that could have caused this, and is there a way to fix it?

Yeah, a very good reason: You're raising your right shoulder when you pick.
That's from tension. It's actually common. I did it and still have to watch out
for it. Generally pain anywhere is a sign you're tensing up in that spot and you
can be totally unaware of it.

Anyway, that may not be your case, but check it out when you're playing.
I don't think it was guitar playing, although, if oyur picking hand is the right, then maybe.. I injured my left shoulder, playing baseball, and when i did play (fingered chords wiht my left) my shoulder kind of hurt, especially when the chords forced you to spread your fingers far apart. The pain went away in 4-5 days, although it wasn't as painfull as it was originally after 3 days. I still did push-ups and all, and I don't think that worsened it cause I'm well now.
I used to get dull aches and some wicked pains when I was first starting out (not saying you are new) because I would tense up. I worked on not being tense at all when I played, and now I am alot better because of it, plus pain free.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
Masturbation is in the wrist and forearm, not the shoulder. Fix your technique and the pain shall leave... On a more serious note, you shouldn't feel any pain in your shoulder from picking...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
how low is ur guitar, is ur posture good? are u learning new techniques?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, I don't really sure if this is true but i heard if you play standing up and position your guitar very low, over time it will injure your shoulders. I know this guy, he plays guitar for like 6-8 hrs a day for 2 yrs straight during university(he told me that) and he totally screwed up both of his shoulders.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Quote by edg
Yeah, a very good reason: You're raising your right shoulder when you pick.
That's from tension. It's actually common. I did it and still have to watch out
for it. Generally pain anywhere is a sign you're tensing up in that spot and you
can be totally unaware of it.

Anyway, that may not be your case, but check it out when you're playing.

Yah, thats probably exactly it. When I sit, I lift my right shoulder. I'll be careful of that, thanks

And when I stand, it's a little above my waist.. I know that doesn't look really cool, but I'd rahter play it right then look cool.
Pain is the body's way of saying "stop! You're hurting me!" If it happens when you are playing guitar, it is either because of something you're doing with the guitar, or is at least exacurbated by the guitar. If you don't listen to what your body is telling you, then you risk doing irreparable damage. A friend of mine had the exact same thing, and it was related to tension in his right arm while playing. He had surgery for this tendonitis, and it allowed him to play for about 20 min at a time without pain. That's not what you want.

There is no harm in seeing a doctor. You might be glad you did. There are even doctors out there who specialize in musician-related perils such as tendonitis, hearing loss, etc. Seriously.... consider getting it checked out.

Chris
Quit guitar.

If it's your right shoulder (Assuming you're a righty) then you gotta learn not to pick like a moron. It's all in the wrist (CARPEL TUNNEL SYNDROME W0000000000T! YEAH!) not in the shoulder. Chillax, bitch.
haha
I think you're masterbating too much. You shouldnt expect to cum again after you just did like 2 minutes ago.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Take a few days or a week off. Put an icepack on your shoulder a couple of times a day for a few days. Advil helps too, try not to burn your stomach up.

If not better in two weeks, see a DOC.
Take 2 Ibuprofen 200mg painkillers 4 times a day and rest it for about a week then get back to it.

Also check out John Petrucci's rock discipline video he shows some stretches you can do beforehand to ensure this won't happen again.