I bought my first fretless bass and the strings are totally dead. I was wondering what kind of strings you buy for fretless basses, i.e. do they need to be smooth strings without grooves (or whatever you call them) or can they be like the strings you put on a fretted bass.

I'm looking for that classic fretless bass sound, a la Steve Digiorgio if you know what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
you have to get flatwounds. If you get roundwounds (for fretted basses) you will destroy the fingerboard...as for brands, i have no clue as i do not play fretless
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
Quote by Mantiscabinet
you have to get flatwounds. If you get roundwounds (for fretted basses) you will destroy the fingerboard...as for brands, i have no clue as i do not play fretless

you dont 'have' to get them, and its not as drastic as you think. aslong as you're not insane with the slides and the pressure you put on the strings, you can use roundwounds like i do.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^oh...okay, well, i assume he wants flatwounds though, because he wants a more vintage tone, and better safe then sorry, you don't want to accidently ruin the fingerboard
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
And even if your fretboard does get nicked up a bit its easy to fix.

But flatwounds keep you safe, just i dont like the feel.
Quote by Mantiscabinet
^oh...okay, well, i assume he wants flatwounds though, because he wants a more vintage tone, and better safe then sorry, you don't want to accidently ruin the fingerboard

hmm, flatwounds are more mellow though. its all preference, i'm going to invest in Flats soon and give them a try until they need replacing again, then i'll make a decision on what i want to use more.

Quote by metaldud536

Yeah this is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks alot guys!

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Last edited by Face The Slayer at Aug 23, 2006,
btw, what strings are on it now? and what bass is it?

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
hmm, flatwounds are more mellow though. its all preference, i'm going to invest in Flats soon and give them a try until they need replacing again, then i'll make a decision on what i want to use more.

My bass teacher played a fretless w/ rounds, and he said it was buzzy as hell.
Quote by Scourge441
My bass teacher played a fretless w/ rounds, and he said it was buzzy as hell.

its not too bad

Quote by metaldud536

Jacos bass had a lacquered fretboard, and its not like he treated it all that nicely anyway.

I use LaBella Nylon tapewounds, much better than regular flats.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
D'Addario Chromes are awesome flats.

But when I finally get money for a radius block and I re-radius my neck, I'ma lacquer + RW it I think.
haha
Quote by IndieMetalhead
btw, what strings are on it now? and what bass is it?

It's a defretted Yamaha RBX300 with EMG pickups and Dean Marley Blue Steels.

PM Nutter_101 To Join
my dad used some sort of hybrid flat/round strings on his fretless i think (not 100% though, not too hot on a fretless myself) but they sounded good, he uses ****ing super expensive strings though
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks
I use La Bella Deep Talkin' nylon wound bass strings. The flat black nylon tape is wound over the roundwound strings, so the fingerboard will not get torn up, but you get the "mwah" factor very nicely. Plus, they save wear and tear on your fingers. I HIGHLY recommend them as a first choice over flatwounds.

Flats have a deep fundamental tone, but sometimes they lack the higher harmonics found in "Jaco" type styles. Jaco had rounds, but his fingerboard was treated with epoxy (Check out H G Thor Labs online). You can't get that kind of tome using flats.

Groundwounds (rounds that are ground flat, so you get an "in-between" tone) are a nice compromise, but I have not tried them.

The previous set of strings I tried were Gold plated Maxima strings. Gold is less harsh than nickel or steel, so they don't eat through the fingerboard as much. They have a mellower tone though for being roundwound. They also look nice--BLING!

I recommend the La Bella Deep Talkin' bass strings though.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Last edited by jaco de lucia at Aug 24, 2006,
Quote by watchingmefall
Jaco used rounds, nuff said.

Sigged
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Recommended threads
Nascar ( 1 2 )
Natrone
Last post:
by rowdybusch18
Shaved legs? ( 1 2 )
Mannypedraza
Last post:
by IzRG350