hey ive been playing for kind of a while now and im thinkin its time for a new guitar. i played a epiphone les paul standard at guitar center and the 60th aniversary standard strat. i cant figure out which to buy though, there both around 500. the only concern i had with the epiphone was that it seemed just to be a knock off of the gibson, but does that make it bad? it seemed good to me im just lookin for a second opinion. thanks in advance.
Epiphone is a company of Gibson so its not a knockoff.

What style music you play

The Epi LP is actually a very good guitar. You can get some very nice thick leads on it.

But it all depends on what you play
epiphones are good.. But your right. . They are in term gibson knock offs.. Doesn't make them bad.. Just not gibsons.. But still the same modles.... In my opinion I think strats are horrible.. They look so plain and stupid.. I'd much rather have an epiphone.. It all really depends on which sounds better on the same amps / what type of music you play.. I play metal .. Right now I have a Dean Vendetta 3.0 .. It's pretty nice and can hold its own playing metal with great sustain etc etc.. I still need a new amp .. BUT ANYWAYS.. Say you want to play metal.. Strat nor Epiphone is good for you . Lol.. Classic rock and rock strats the way to go.. Anything else (including rock and maybe some metal ) Epiphone. that's all I have to say
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
Epiphones aren't knock off since they are made by Gibson. Epiphones aren't bad guitars, some of them are actually high quality guitars that come out of a factory somewhere in Beijing. The difference between an Epi and a Gibson is Gibson is a solid piece of wood, Epi is several pieces.

As for which one to buy, you should make the decision yourself so you're not dissappointed.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
depends on the music u play.

humbuckers or single coils.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by psycadelicart
hey ive been playing for kind of a while now and im thinkin its time for a new guitar. i played a epiphone les paul standard at guitar center and the 60th aniversary standard strat. i cant figure out which to buy though, there both around 500. the only concern i had with the epiphone was that it seemed just to be a knock off of the gibson, but does that make it bad? it seemed good to me im just lookin for a second opinion. thanks in advance.

epiphone is made by gibson they are just the more affordable versions they arnt really knock offs.
well i play classic rock but kinda bluesy. i guess the only reason i considered the les paul was because of jimmy page. i also kinda wanted somthing that didnt look like a strat because a lot of other guitars look like a strat. there both pretty much the same price though. gibson les paul standards cost a hell of a lot more than fender standard strats though, thats why i was also looking at the strat. i really like the maple fretboard too. so yea, any more info on the guitars would be very apreciated! thanks again for the help!
Both would be good for what you play. If your into more SRV/Hendrix/later Clapton, go with the Strat. If its more Cream/Zeppelin/AC/DC, go with the Les Paul.
yea i dig more of the hendrix clapton blues stuff but every band you mentioned i dig, cream, zep, acdc stuff. do you think itd be possible to get that blues sound outta a les paul? maybe with some dr pure blues strings or somthin? by the way do you kno how much it would cost to get a maple fretboard custom through gibson? i kno thats kinda a wierd specific question but i think itd help to get that sound.
dont know really but most likely to be a lot.

maybe just go into a guitar store, play both and decide what you prefer the sound of is probably the best idea.
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
depends on ur amp too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well my amp is a crate. id probably end up buying a new one soon but which amps would be good with the les paul and which would be good for a strat?
Sorry, but Epiphone are 'knockoff's as well. Gibson don't make Epiphone. They own the brand name. The guitars themselves are made in Korea and China under contract by the same manufacturers that make Korean and Chinese guitars for other big brand names. The factories aren't owned by Gibson / Epi, aren't controlled by them, etc. The only Epiphone guitars that Gibson actually make are the John Lennon / Paul McCartney USA hollowbody and acoustic Epiphones which are made at the Gibson Nashville plant.

As far as copies go, Epiphone LOOK like Gibson, and that's where the similarities end. Most Epiphones use alder / mahogany multi-ply. There are many other Les Paul "knockoffs" out there that are much truer to the realy Les Paul contruction than Epiphone. However, there are select Epiphone models that are mahogany-bodied like the real things.

That being said, Epiphones are good guitars. I would certainly not knock them as being crap (at least not the majority of them). The only thing is that you pay a large premium for the Gibson name on the truss rod cover. And for the quality of the instrument, you are overcharged. You can get equal or better Les Paul copies form other brands for cheaper.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Aug 24, 2006,
well psy sounds to me like u should also take a look at Fender Fat strats.

for about $400. u can get a maple board, a humbucker bridge for ACDC and 2 singles for Eric clapton tones.

the most dramatic tone change would come from an amp upgrade.
consider a Fender Blues jr. $400.
its 15W tube, the cleans are amazing, its loud enough for small gigs, over a drummer and with a pedal it can get u ACDC tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62