Hey Everyone!
I'm looking for a little advice. You see I'm going to see The Red Hot Chili Peppers in.. oh... a little over a month in Toronto. The Mars Volta are opening for them aparently and I have never heard any of there music. Thats where you folks come in. Can you guys please tell me the names of some good Mars Volta tunes and maybe and album or two I should pick up before the show?
Thanks Alot Everyone!
My Gear:
-1984 Fender Stratocaster
-Epiphone Les Paul <- The Worlds Nicest
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive Pedal
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
most people only like music off there first album so i'd suggest you buy that. its called deloused in the comatorium. hav fun
They only have two full-length studio albums, De-Loused In The Comatorium and Frances The Mute. They also have an EP (Tremulant) and a live album (Scab Dates). Their next full-length, Amputechture, comes out September 12, and features John Frusciante on the majority of the guitar tracks. Almost all of their songs are killer. Just get those two albums (I've seen them for about $10 each at HMV), and you're set.

BTW, congrats on getting tickets to that show - they sold out in like a minute and a half.
If you really want to listen to sixteen minutes of noise and guitar blips, be my guest. I won't refer any to you, however.
"L'via L'viaquez" is a great song "Cygnus Vismund Cygnus" is a nother great song and there off the album frances the mute

im not a volta fan really but i like them 2 songs quite a bit. im goin to see them and RHCP tomarrow night
Quote by the_white_bunny
"L'via L'viaquez" is a great song "Cygnus Vismund Cygnus" is a nother great song and there off the album frances the mute

im not a volta fan really but i like them 2 songs quite a bit. im goin to see them and RHCP tomarrow night

Cool Man!
Have fun and thanks alot!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
ya i saw them live with chilis in boise id they play for 45 minutes straight and it just souunds like a bunch of noise and the singer sounds like a chick and he just screams and its like a bunch of sound thats not really music for 45 minutes
Quote by S2S
If you really want to listen to sixteen minutes of noise and guitar blips, be my guest. I won't refer any to you, however.

Yeah, It was cool when Jimi did it but I'm willing to give it a try.
Thanks man!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Quote by DeliriumTrigger
They only have two full-length studio albums, De-Loused In The Comatorium and Frances The Mute. They also have an EP (Tremulant) and a live album (Scab Dates). Their next full-length, Amputechture, comes out September 12, and features John Frusciante on the majority of the guitar tracks. Almost all of their songs are killer. Just get those two albums (I've seen them for about $10 each at HMV), and you're set.

BTW, congrats on getting tickets to that show - they sold out in like a minute and a half.

will do!
Thanks man!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
ill say they have alot of energey... and there drummer is really good but i hate omar and cedric they annoy me with there **** ohhh where so cool where vegen bull ****
Quote by red_hotguitarod
ya i saw them live with chilis in boise id they play for 45 minutes straight and it just souunds like a bunch of noise and the singer sounds like a chick and he just screams and its like a bunch of sound thats not really music for 45 minutes

That sounds pretty **** man...
Thanks for the input tho!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Quote by S2S

Mars Volta isn't all unorchestrated noise. Some of their songs are predominately-as you put it-noise and guitar blips. However that's only a minority of their music.
Quote by tpen892004
lucky bastard

i was gonna go to that show

get deloused

Oh, Sorry to here that man...
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Quote by the_white_bunny
ill say they have alot of energey... and there drummer is really good but i hate omar and cedric they annoy me with there **** ohhh where so cool where vegen bull ****

Ok Im getting the impression that they like making music that primarily just noise and still think they are indie... hmmmm...
Thanks for the input!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
I like Francis the Mute myself

Excellent. I'll pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
Quote by R0CKER1220
Mars Volta isn't all unorchestrated noise. Some of their songs are predominately-as you put it-noise and guitar blips. However that's only a minority of their music.

Ok, now I'm really confoozed.. Oh well...
Thanks of the input man!
My Gear:
-Gretsch Duo Jet
-Takamine EG334BC
-Mr.Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Peavey Classic 50 4X10
ok let me put it this way.

they write about a 30% ratio of good songs. the rest are pretty bad noise filled crappy 11 minuet chopy jam sounding things. ok then theres Cedric the singer who cant sing live its just a known fact. hes also the one whos all vegan and **** and has his little im better then you attatude twords every one. then theres Omar the so called guitar player, hes really a joke to me and when you listen to there music the stuff that sounds good is most likely josh furcheti(sp?) from the chili peppers. listen to the track "Cygnus Vismund Cygnus" the first 2 solos are john and the 3rd is omar.... youll understand my point..... im not looking forward to seein them but i paid good money so ill sit and listen to there prog rock indi propaganda and then enjoy craking on them later
I'm a big fan, but there certainly are aspects of their sound that a lot of people don't like. Basically, on their second album, they seperated out all of their songs with decently long ambient bits. They didn't do that on their newest album, though, but that's not actually released yet and I'm not supposed to have heard it, so shh, don't tell anyone.

So, listen to deloused in the comatorium, that's the easiest album to listen to, and then listen to frances after. Their sound could be described as modern prog punk with lots of latin and jazz influences, as well as random noise bits. That's why you're gonna get so many very different views on their quality... some people just don't like some of the things they do, and will diss them to the grave, where others just love it and will kill their mom to defend them. That's just how it is.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
They are really a good band, but its hard to get into them. I had there album for a year and hated it. Then one day the music hit me, and it made sense. They are top notch. They have an excellent drummer, the lead singer can wail amazing, and the guitarist is crazy. Sure they get a little over ambitious at times. They're guitar sounds will get crazy and they'll put in weird elctronic blips, but don't worry. They are still a very entertaining band with some great songwriting skills. I suggest you buy both albums, but don't expect them to play songs from them. I heard they are infamous for having completetly different material on the road.
Originally posted by Mace_37
hahaha, are you Australian? how long is it?
Pick up a leak of Amputechture (and then buy it of course). Listen to Tetragrammaton, Viscera Eyes and Day of the Baphomets. On deloused, Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, Televators, Intertiatic Esp, and Cicatriz. Frances should be absorbed as a whole, so just buy it all.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Adding to Yertle Roulette Dares is a really good song too.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
i just saw them last night RHCP and volta.........

volta sucks ****....... they only played one song that was half way decent wich was 'THE WIDOW" other then that it was just feed back and girly yelling............ and on the RHCP front i got my seats up graded to the 5th row... and a friend of mines dad was working as a unsher guy on the floor and we got back stage and met chad smith befor he went back on stage durning his break.... ****in awsome!!!!