ive been playing guitar for a few years now and im getting pretty good at it goood enough to learn alot of decent covers and make some original songs and for a few years ive also wanted a job but couldnt get one because i lived far out of town and didnt have any transportation and ive been wanting to join a band but i couldnt find one to join or people to start one with.

Now i just turned 16 got my license and a car and got a job just 2 days ago tommarow is my first day, then i find out today that a band at my school changed their line up completly guitarist and drummer quit, bass became drummer and got a new bass, and i might be able to join the band.

anyways my point is do any of you in bands go to school and have jobs and still have time for practice and if you do or have how has that worked out for you
Yeah I have school 5 days a week, work twice a week and band practices Saturday and Sunday. It's hectic, but it's damn worth it.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
Yes, but 2 guys in my band are out of school so they are always working, but neither of them work later than 6...

During the summer, I work everyday, but never later than 5:30, and same with weekends during the school year.

Our drummer is also in school, and has a job that sometimes requires him to work nights.

Ultimately, our practices revolve around our drummer's days off, and since the rest of the band never works later than 6, it's easy to pull off at least 2 practices a week.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
ya man i work every day go to school and practice on the weekend. i mean band practice is fun so its like not even like working so instead of break time i jsuthave practice.
i work about 5 days a week...also go to school, and manage a band...just schedule it right and its easy
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
I'm in a band, school til 3:30, and work on wednesdays at 5 til 9, and fridays til 6-9. We do practices on Saturdays at about 4-9, and mondays same time. I also have a girlfriend, who I see on spare days. It's, as said earlier, pretty hectic, but it's fun for me to play music. If you really love it, then do the band, also!
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Yeah I had school and I worked 4 days a week. What I did was get my band together and figured out what two or three days they were free to practice. I just made sure I was off work on the days I agreed to practice on.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
right now im not back in school yet but, I have 2 jobs which consume a good chunk of my day especially saturdays. The best we can do is get together either after work or on a day off. Don't get me wrong though its not as bad as it sounds we practice like 4 sometimes 5 days a week and its always a blast.
I'm in college, class twice a week plus maybe 15 hours of studying a week, if that... work about 35-40 hours a week... and I'm in a band that is actively gigging and writing. It's hard to make it work out when everyone has a crazy schedule, but as long as you're dedicated you can do it. If you enjoy it, you'll find the time. And I do enjoy it.

My band can only meet 1-2 days a week, MAYBE 3, so we have 3-4 hour rehearsals that are focused... You can't spend half your time at rehearsal doing pointless jamming if you're trying to be serious in a band -- you need to be on-task. That means that you need to do your homework and know your stuff BEFORE the practice, not learn it there. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun. I honestly look forward to every meeting.
Quote by pratt121
You can't spend half your time at rehearsal doing pointless jamming if you're trying to be serious in a band -- you need to be on-task. That means that you need to do your homework and know your stuff BEFORE the practice, not learn it there. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun. I honestly look forward to every meeting.

Amen! It's amazing how many people can't get that simple point! Just to elaborate, though.... it depends to some degree what you want to do with the band. If you want to "make it" in a conventional sense, it has to be pretty much a full-time job. Writing material, promoting, researching contacts, etc. takes up way more time than just preparing for and attending rehearsals. If you just want to be in a band and have fun with it more than anything else, then it's a lot easier. I work full time, have three kids (and a wife), teach privately, and still make time for all the band stuff I do (website, promotion, writing, etc.), but not enough to make a "career" out of it. Not like there's an abundance of people my age on MTV anyways....

Chris
I work 9 - 5 Monday to Friday and we have two practises during the week and then spend most of Sunday jamming and writing. It's easy to slot things in if you all have similar schedules, like we do, plus we are about as tight as we can get too.
At one time I was a full-time college student, bartended on the weekends, and was in 2 bands. In one band it was an acoustic duo in which we practice 1 time .. and that was before the first gig. We nailed every song and were a strong on the spot improvise songs deal. That paid more than the full rock band I was in which was practicing 2-3 nights a week. But like the others said.. on task, we knew what we were practicing.

You pretty much have to have good communication with your boss. My boss realizes there are better things in some of the workers lives than serving Coors light all day.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
it's easy if you have only school or only a job... but with both it's hard. if you really care enough, you'll find time though. having school, a job, and a girlfriend... that's too much. i don't know many guys who juggle all that AND have enough time to be in a real band
well I work all week long , and go to school. The only time I really have to practice is on the weekend, and im usually doing other things. I try to make atleast 30 minutes every day to play the guitar, but with everything going on right now I dont think i could be in a band, dont mind though
HAHA "man I go to school and work for an hour, one day a week" Guys, I go to school everyday, and work from after school till 8 or 9 and then on the weekends at least from 4pm - 12am and sometimes I have to pull a 13 hour shift. It ****ing sucks, but what you do is just have everyone in the band secure one day off a week or you work around it.
I've got two jobs (totalling about 65 hours per week), plus a band and a girlfriend. It's possible to balance everything, but I really miss sleeping.

Quote by Freunleven
I've got two jobs (totalling about 65 hours per week), plus a band and a girlfriend. It's possible to balance everything, but I really miss sleeping.

Me too brother, but what people don't understand is this; Being in a band is NOT some big 24 hour a day party. It basically ****ing sucks because you usually have to give up A LOT to do it. We do it because we love it, not because it's always the most fun thing to do.
Quote by myvaliantleap
HAHA "man I go to school and work for an hour, one day a week" Guys, I go to school everyday, and work from after school till 8 or 9 and then on the weekends at least from 4pm - 12am and sometimes I have to pull a 13 hour shift. It ****ing sucks, but what you do is just have everyone in the band secure one day off a week or you work around it.

Exactly, what the point was (which you missed, then repeated, because you were too busy showing off exactly how busy you are) was that if you have some level of organization and dedication, you can find the time.
Quote by pratt121
Exactly, what the point was (which you missed, then repeated, because you were too busy showing off exactly how busy you are) was that if you have some level of organization and dedication, you can find the time.

Actually I wasn't showing off at all. I was just showing the people that said that they had trouble working for an hour or so a week and going to school that it can be done, with even harder situations.