Now I may not be a moderator or someone who's on the forums 24/7 but I've noticed that the amount of Floyd Rose threads is ridiculous.So i've decided to compile a thread with the basic way to tune a floyd rose. If your problem isn't explained then post otherwise don't.So I'm gonna start by saying what is a floyd rose?

It is a tremelo that literally Floats by balancing on a pivot point. In order for that to happen
the springs inside the Guitar body have to have equal tension with the Strings of the guitar. For a more Detailed explanation and anatomy of a Floyd rose Go here

The Floyd Rose Bridge is known for it's ability to hold strings in tune. And once you set it up properly, No matter how much you use the whammy it won't go out of tune.

When it comes to setting up I found the following lessons very helpful:

Lesson #1
Lesson #2
Lesson #3
Lesson #4
Lesson #5
Lesson #6
Lesson #7

along with this Quote from the tremelo expert Madpickin03:

Quote by madpickin03

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------

now for INTONATION: it is ajusted by moving the saddle up or down. you can check your intonation by comparing the acurracy of your open string note and your octave(or 12th fret) If the 12th fret note is flat you must increase the length of the string by moving the saddle up. If it's flat move the saddle down. I found the best way to remeber the direction to move the saddle is with this saying:

"if it's down go up and if it's up go down."

translation

"if the note is flat, move the saddle up and if the note is sharp, move the saddle down"

NOTE: If you have a crappy tuner, your intonation will be less accurate.

Now a couple of my personal tips:
1. if your trem is sinking downwards use the whammy bar to put it level then place a stick covered in tape (as in the video) and put it at the back to hold it level. that way you can take off all the strings and clean the fretboard and such. When the guitar is back in tune, the stick should simply slide out.

2. ALWAYS consult a guitar tech for serious problems. do not try to do it yourself

3. DON'T **** AROUND! if your guitar is already set don't do something stupid like trying to set it up "EVH" style. you could **** it up and then need a tech. Make sure you know what your doing and DO NOT RUSH!

ANOTHER THING...
if your guitar buzzes then send a recording or do your best to describe what type of buzz you have so we have a better idea of what the problem is.

and if all else fails...

CONSULT A TECH!

Csquared1001
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by Csquared1001 at Aug 24, 2006,
Nice idea

Anyways if this gets stickied (mods pay attention), i could even attach "how to adjust the intonation on floyd roses" and more.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Nice idea

Anyways if this gets stickied (mods pay attention), i could even attach "how to adjust the intonation on floyd roses" and more.

yeah that be good. Actually i could just add it now if that's alright?
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
dunno, should contact mods 1st coz if this wont be stickied, it'll probably just die.

Also, gotta do it in order form, starting from "what is a floyd rose"
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
bump...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
This would be great to have as a sticky!

Now all we need is a "Dont make a thread, your warlock sucks" thread stickied lol
there are all these locking trems n stuff out atm, like the edge pro trem on ibanezes, what is the difference between that and a floydrose??!?!?!??!
yeah, this is a good idea. I meant to do it, only I never got round to it...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am still laughing at the failure of this thread.

if you are going to make a fr thread, then make a complete one ffs.