I know this kind of a dumb question but Im pretty new to guitar. I broke my first string the other day and I bought new ones to fix it today but I couldnt get the proper string to sound right and I overtightened it and broke my only extra string. D'OH! Tomorrow I will get new ones again and I was wondering if I should just restring the whole guitar when I get new strings.Thank you all.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
When I break a string it usually indicates to me that the whole set is getting old (2 or 3 months or more) and so I change them all. Its an easy/quick job once you have done it a few times, and its probably the most inexpensive way to make your guitar sound pretty again.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
You should always replace the whole set, even if one breaks, or else it will sound like crap.

But if you break a string on a new set, just buy 1 string and put that on.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i always used to break at least one string when i replace them while i'm tuning them so i've always got several extra packs strings around, it's wierd cuz i never break the little ones, like GBA it's always Low E or A. it's quite annoying. but i'm getting better now i don't break them, i usually replace mine after a month or two, you can always tell by feeling the strings and by the sound that they've lost some of their smooth feel and good tone.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12