Yo, so I'm getting some Dimarzios for my RG, and I've already come upon the conclusion of a PAFpro in the neck, but I just don't know what to get for the bridge position. I play technical death metal, and I like a lot of gain, but I'm looking for something just right I'm thinking maybe a Steve's Special, D Sonic, or Super 3, but then again, I like mids in my metal tone so I want something that's just going to do my guitar and amp justice.
Well, its less trebly and have high mids and bass. If you're eye-ing any of Vai's pickups, well, what you expect to get is Vai-ish kind of sound. The Super Distortion is also almost the same but have a little less everything.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I have a Tonezone. I hate it. I'm replacing it with a Steve's Special, and it should be an improvement.

For what you want, I would go either X2N, D-Sonic or Steve's Special. The SS has a bit of a mid scoop, which I like in a pickup because everything else in my rig also has a ton of mids and it ends up honky a lot of the time, so I'm looking forward to be able to run the 750 slider higher on my Mark IV when I get it...
i have the d-sonic. it is awesome for low tuned stuff. everything remains clear as if it was in standard. and it sounds just as good in standard.

i don't know about the other pickups, but the d-sonic is really worth it.
for more mid based stuff i suggest maybe a Super 2 as i think it is very mid based. but i have never played it its just what i picked up from the site and i like the super distortion so im thinking its gonna sound liek that with a bit more mids to it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I think a FRED will do you good as well. It's also awesome for harmonics!
how do tone zones sound in and alder body guitar along with a cruiser single coil?
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
IMO, Tone zone sounds great with cruiser, with an alder body, it'll make the bright tone of the wood seems heavier.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks madpickin
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic