Hey guys!

I got my first floyd guitar today....and Ibanez RG520.....quick question....

When I use the trem, and let go, it seems as if the trem is not going back to standard position.....my entire guitar goes out of tune almost evenly...

Then, when I slightly pull back up on it, it will go back into tune perfectly, and stay like that until I use the trem again.....

There are 4 springs in the back if that helps!

Going out of tune isn't the problem here.....why isn't my trem going back to its original position?
Hah, new to trems eh~

I'll tell you how to set it up, 2nd hand rite? 1st of all, are you using the old strings? if you do, then change it. Also, changing the springs may also be required as the old ones are probably overstretched. I suggest you do just a simple 3 spring setup "| | |". After that, lube your trem posts using lipbalm/chapstick, i find that petroleum jelly based works very good.

Again, it depends on how damaged your trem really is, repost if you still have problem.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
If you like how it is, then nvm, but 3 springs are better as they doesnt have as much tension as 4 spring and your trem would go smoother this way. Depends on your tunings too.

And the lubing part, you can do it without having removing the trem, you just apply some amount in the front part, turn it 360 degrees to distribute it to the knife edges. Dive a bit so that its evenly spread, then turn it back 360 degree to your normal action.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
From jemsite:

Tremolo post studs worn at the pivot point - If the pivot point is worn the tremolo will not float. Note - if your tremolo is erratic this is a sure fire sign that you need new posts. Does it lose it's "neutral position" often with subtle trem movements? For example when depress bar slightly it stays slightly flat, then when you flutter the bar it goes in-tune again. Basically it works fine one minute, then out of tune the next, then back in tune when you use the bar. If this occurs you need new trem studs. New studs will make the unit play like new. Highly recommended for ALL used JEM/UVs. You won't believe the difference. Catch... $25/pair from Ibanez.

* Fix - Replace the two tremolo studs. These should be changed every year if used daily. It will dramatically improve your tremolo stability. Temp Fix - rotate the stud 1/3 to get a fresh knife edge while the replacements are on order!
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Bridge Problems:
- knife edges may be worn/stubby/flat, you need to file it down smoothly
- stubby/worn out trem posts
- loose trem posts
- stiff and oxidized knife edges/posts, needs lubrication (lipbalm)
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
If so, find a very good tech that knows how to deal with older Ibanez trem. Im not 100% sure but i think that the Edge on those have the stud-mod installed, if so, you'd need to loosen a tiny allen screw inside the posts before adjusting the action or you'll risk ruining them.

For parts, i suggest you contact rich from Ibanezrules.com or just make a purchase order from his site.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^+1 on the locking studs, and on parts from Rich, he's a stand up guy, and answers questions pretty quickly.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
9-46, im thinking of changing to 10-46 later on, the regular bottom sounds to thin and the squeal isnt what im lookin for. Been using D'adds for my electric and Martin for my acoustic, now experimenting ernieballs.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic