ok so i just recently purchased a guitar with a floyd rose bridge, now i want to tune it down to really low tunings like 2 full steps down on every string, now i know i need to adjust the springs in the back but im not sure how long the screws holding the spring claws are so i simply removed the middle spring to avoid tampering too much with the screws, i was wondering if this was an ok thing to do or should i re attach it and try loosening the screws to fit the desired tunings?
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Its good to see how far it goes inside and to mark those 2 screws the maximum suggested point that it should unscrew. But still, decreasing the springs will also work, but your trem may become too sensitive. Also, you might want to change the strings gauge if you dont want to remove that spring, by doing so, you need to re-intonate and also may need to adjust the truss rod.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ya ive been thinking of trying a thicker string guage, if i were to do so though, how would i adjust the truss rod? would i give it more or less of a bow? or how would you set it up? oh and btw that is an awesome idea to mark the screws, ive got a paint marker used for marking metal so ill try that and mark the screws and see how it goes

gear:
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Adjusting The Truss Rod

1) Always make sure that you're in your desired perfect tuning pitch.
2) Measure your neck relief and see whether its proper. Fret the 1st fret low E and the 19th/20th fret where the neck meets the body and see the 8th fretwire. There should be a clearance of at least 0.3mm-0.5mm between the low E and the fretwire.
3) If the string lays dead on the fretboard/fretwires or below 0.3mm (0.2 i still ok IMO), then you'd need to loosen your truss rod. If the string is higher than 0.5mm, then you have to much neck relief, you need to tighten your truss rod.
4) Always tighten or loosen your truss rod in 1/4th of a turn or 1/8th of a turn each time, and let rest between each turn for about 10-20 minutes to let your neck adjust to its new settings.
5) Check your neck relief by performing step#2 again and see whether its proper. Also, make sure that you're still in your desired tuning and re-check every now and then if your tuning runs off.
6) After you've accomplish to let your neck relief to be at least in between 0.3mm and 0.5mm, again, let the neck rest.

Tips:
- You can get extra hands and use a feeler gauge to measure your 8th fretwire or just simply capo the 1st fret. This is for more accurate measurement.
- Important* If your action is too high, that may also be the cause of your neck relief being higher than it should, i suggest that you restore the low E action to its factory setting (normally 2mm-3mm above the 12th fretwire) and measure your neck relief.

Helpful websites:
- http://projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm
- http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step3
- http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks alot man, this info has really helped ive got it all set up and working now with the third spring reinstalled thanks to your idea of marking the spring claw screws, but im still wanting to maybe try out thicker strings so ill keep your truss adjusment advice in mind.

gear:
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400