I'm interested in buying an electric guitar for around $180.00 US. I've been playing an acoustic guitar since christmas, and bass for just over a year. I play mostly clasic rock and blues. Any recommendations?
Last edited by Mongoose87 at Aug 24, 2006,
a squire is an alright 1st electric for around that price
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
A friend of mine said that to me as well. However, when I look up Squier's, I seem to get fifty bagillion differentthings. Uh... help?
if all else fails, just go to the fender website and go to links and squier is a link... but i think that u will get the official website if u just google squier
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Honestly dont expect much with that price. Yeah 180 bucks is a lot of money, but it will only get you a guitar to get by on. But brands to check out would be like Squier, Stagg, Indiana, California, Arbor, First Act, Lyon...etc.
also check out Agile guitars very good reputable guitar company and very cheap as well. also dont forget about an amp as well
Yeah, I realize I have to get an amp too. That' seperate.
Really, the guitar is just for me, and maybe playing around with a few friends. If I do any gigging it will almost certainly be as a bassist.
well out of all starter packs i hear the yamaha pacifica is best i dont know the price but it hink it might be 250 or below
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
I was just in the same predicament as you about 2 days ago. I researched a lot and came up with these 6 guitars:

Affinity Fat Strat Squire
Epiphone G-310
Epiphone LP Special II
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Ibanez GRX20
Ibanez GAX30

From asking around in these forums and looking at reviews it appears that the Pacifica 112 or the GRX are the best form that lot. One guys also told my to stay away form Squires and anything that says ?Special?. I hear lots of praise for the Agile guitars as well but think they are out of you price range.

For me I ended up settling on Ibanez RG321 it?s about a half a step form these and more expensive but I had the money and I got a kick ass deal.

WARNING: I know nothing about guitars I?m just telling you my experience when researching the net for beginner guitars. I would also do a quick search for beginner guitars in this forum you will get tons of hits.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
also check out Agile guitars very good reputable guitar company and very cheap as well. also dont forget about an amp as well

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agile!
I'm a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink." I say "So shall I!"
if its your 1st elec, and you only been playing a year i recommend just simply buying a guitar which you like the look of. sounds odd, but if you like it, you will play it more, and when ya get better you can worry about getting a better guitar.
I would recomend the guitar in my sig. It's a fat strat special edition. It cost me $190 at the Guitar Center. The fat part means it has a humbucker in the bridge and the special edition part is the mirrored pickguard.

I love it and everybody who see's it says it's a really nice guitar.

For what it cost I agree with them and it's the best guitar for the buck.
I have an SX strat copy from www.rondomusic.net and for $99 I could not have bought a better instrument. Then get you a $125 Roland Microcube and you are set!
Seriously, I'm in the band.
A squier strat perhaps and here's a link.

www.squierguitars.com

I hear the Yamaha Pacifica is pretty good.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 24, 2006,
I would save up another $150 and buy a Fender Strat, there good for a starter electric and you can always get new pickups later on when you get better.
Yamaha Pacifica 112X (make sure it's a 112, the body's alder rather than the Agathis of the cheapest Pacificas). Was helping a friend buy his first guitar, this blew an Ibanez GRx40 away. I personally think that this will keep you going for far longer than a Squier before you long for a 2nd axe - it's got a warmer tone, and a HUMBUCKER in the bridge, which gives it a a LOT more bite, especially for metal and hard rock styles. Its cleans on the neck are damn fine for the price, and the neck itself, while not an Ibanez stick, is pretty nice.

Of the beginner guitars I've tried, It's definitely better than the GRx40, a Squier strat, and a Crafter ST100.

The other brands worth looking at are probably Dean and maybe the Ibanez Grx70 Jumpstart pack, also apparently Agile, though I've no experience of them myself.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!