Poll: Which one will be closest to Clapton's 335 pickups?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one will be closest to Clapton's 335 pickups?
Gibson Burstbuckers
3 23%
Gibson 57 Classic/Classic Plus
10 77%
Voters: 13.
In dire need of a pickup solution.

I want the pickups in Clapton's 335 in the Cream era. I can't find any information other than that they are "Clapton Custom Burstbuckers"

Will the normal Gibson burstbuckers supply this? Theres 3 different kinds of burst buckers...which ones will suffice?
Or shall I just get 57 Classics? What about the 57 Classic Plus?

HELP
This isn't about pickups (sorry) but from what i'm told about the Clapton Crossroads pedal, it has a good range of his tones.
I'm going to guess the most "vintage" sounding of the burstbuckers. That would mean a burstbucker "1" in the neck and another "1" in the bridge.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Yeah im trying to get as close as I can BEFORE any Clapton pedal. Anyone else?
^ugh people are DRIFTING AWAY from the main point here.

i didnt ask for anything about an SG... :[

CLAPTON USED A ES335. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT PICKUPS ARE IN THAT!

oops caps.
dont get testy, he was trying to help. i suggest the 57' classic, as it is the closest to the era. but the burstbucker is a very versatile pickup
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
57 classic in neck, classic plus in bridge, ive used it and its great for that type of tone

also are you putting these into a 335 or similar?
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I hear from people I know, that the pickup that sounds most like that Clapton era are the Seymour Duncan 59's. I have a pair in my guitar and I can pretty much nail most of his Cream tones except Fresh Cream, but then he used a Les Paul with Burstbuckers.

The two you are asking for are alnico 2 pickups. The tone he had was closer to Alnico 5 (which the 59's have). Not too many mids, sharp highs and tight lows.
awesome feedback guys. thanks. well im looking to get a 335, but id like to know if 57's put into a epiphone riviera would come close?
That's good advice from Timmy Page, but if you are set on those two kinds, i would suggest the 57 classics. But keep in mind i dont have a whole lot of experience with humbuckers, im a single coil man.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
335's normallty if not always have '57 classics.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^ yeah 335's come with 57's, but im asking to see how well it would work out in a epiphone riviera.
It will work fine. 335's and rivieras have similar bodies, so if you put the same pickups in it should sound nearly the same.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Well back then Clapton didn't have custom pickups, all that stuff came way later.

IMO SD 59's and Gibson 57's are great pickups, both will get good tone in this application.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Well back then Clapton didn't have custom pickups, all that stuff came way later.

IMO SD 59's and Gibson 57's are great pickups, both will get good tone in this application.

Basically, if you are actually getting a Gibson 335, it comes with the 57s, so no worries, otherwise, the SDs are cheaper, and just as effective.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Basically, if you are actually getting a Gibson 335, it comes with the 57s, so no worries, otherwise, the SDs are cheaper, and just as effective.

He's not getting a 335, he has a riveira. They come with mini humbuckers, therefore: worries.
57ss
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well id reccomend either Burstbuckers 1's (which is based on the ones in a '59 Les Paul, one of his main guitars) or '57 classics (similar to those in his SG and ES-335) for Gibson pickups, but IMO you can get alot better pickups. Check out Duncan '59s, or my favorites: A set of Swineshead Condors (www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk) or a set of Alnico II Bareknuckle Mules if you can afford them (www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk).

Also i think back then all Gibsons had Alnico II's as standard magnets.

I think your Riviera should do really nice for now, isntead of getting a new guitar id reccomend a new amp. Check out Marshall JTM45's or Marshall 1987's for most classic rock sounds (these don't have gain controls though, so youll need to crank them to get distortion though, but if you buy an attenoator you can crank them at normal volumes, but if you want a gain control a Marshall JCM800 is a good idea). Another good brand is Orange, so check out the Rocker/ Rockerverb seies. Also check out Laney VC-15 or VC-30. Also Orange is releasing a new 7/15 watt head called the Tiny Terror im looking at for lower budget amps.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Aug 26, 2006,