for the intro. is that what you call tremolo picking? is there anyway i can do that without feeling the pain after a while?
No, tremelo picking is picking the same note really fast. The guys from Trivium use strong fast downpicking. How to do it without feeling the pain? You're doing something wrong then, trying to play as fast as the song possibly. You need to build up the strength in your wrist first, and I know you've probably seen this a million times but practise slowly with a metronome and build up speed and stamina.
Quote by quinny1089
light to flies intro aint downpicking...

its alternate

The proper way to play like light to the flies is downpicking.

It just takes a while to build up speed and stamina in your picking hand, songs like matser of puppets are quite good for building up your downpicking.
woh, if you're hurting while playing like light to the flies then you have some serious tension building somewhere
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
dont worry mate, it was the first song I tryied to learn and a year later I still can't play it at top speed, I can only downpick tho lol just start slow and hope you get at least 1% faster everyweek, dunno what to tell you about the pain, try stand up when playing, it seems to make me play faster but lose percision
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
The proper way to play like light to the flies is downpicking.

It just takes a while to build up speed and stamina in your picking hand, songs like matser of puppets are quite good for building up your downpicking.

so it is, my bad
Quote by quinny1089
so it is, my bad

thats ok, but if you can alternate pick it then thats pretty awesome, its useful on building up co-ordination on string skipping and accuracy with alternates, especially at that speed.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
thats ok, but if you can alternate pick it then thats pretty awesome, its useful on building up co-ordination on string skipping and accuracy with alternates, especially at that speed.

IExtending on your point of alternate picking, alot of Lamb of God riffs and songs are alternate picked, but you'd think they're downpicked. Like the 'crazy' riff in Hourglass. That's amazing at that speed for alt. picking.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
I am pretty sure it is meant to played all down strokes. It is a typical palm muted riff. They are usually all downstrokes because (I find) downstrokes work and sound a lot better for palm muted riffs.

My right hand used to hurt after played light like to the flies (mainly the pre-chorus riff) but (if it is your right hand) it will go away with time and practise of doing that sort of thing.
tremello picking, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i remember that hurting when i first tried it

u just have to practice (how lame was my answer sorry)
it doesnt bother me anymore
So the pre chorus is actually downpicked?? Holy crap I've been playing it alternate picked and im still struggling with it
Pretty much every riff with that style ever should be downpicked..
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

playing some fear factory is a great way to build up your alternate picking speed for riffing. so many sudden bursts of dnupdnupdnupdnupdnupdnup dnupdnupdnupdnup dnupdnup dndupdnupdnupdnup. like a freaking machine gun.

lamb of god downpicks a LOT because of the sudden pickup triplets (not guitar pickups, it has to do with accents) that they do in the middle of stuff. if you downpick really fast then all you have to do to get those triplets in is not bring the pick back up over the string. you just upstroke instead of returning to the base position.

oh, and if you need to pick fast, ground your wrist! don't use your arm to pick fast or you'll screw it up. use your wrist.

another way to build speed is get some drumsticks and start beating off.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
What, where there's the note on the A and then he picks the D?

It's called droning I think. And if you just hit both like a chord it sounds the same and hurts less.
R E G G A E