Well, im in the maket for a new bass rig and i need some help. I currently own a GK 700rb head, and a Hartke VX215 cab and am looking for a little more power and warmer tone. I play in a Metalcore band so i play some low stuff (Drop C) Now i am considering buying a tube preamp, and a powerful poweramp to satisfy my ego.

I think i've actually made a desicion and decided to go with the Carvin BX810 cab...they are not that expensive and and my singer cannot stop talking about the quality on tone of Carvin.

~Problems~

1. Preamps i was looking at were (Suggestions??)
http://rocktron.com/frameset1.html
http://gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_hd_2001rbp.html

2. The Power Amp...?
I have no idea what power amps are good for bass guitar. But i do know is that i dont want to go with Ampeg.....(Will never swalllow that bullet.) Does QSC' make poweramps just for the bass guitar?

Price Limit: None

well, thanx for all the help and please leave a comment.
Check out SWR.
My bassist uses one of the midrange models and I love it so much.
500 watt all tube preamp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-550X-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=482035

I think there are only a few power amps specifically for bass.
I know Eden and Fender and SWR might. Ampegs are pretty good too. I take it that you don't care for them much.

Basically any QSC is a good choice. I've used a few of them as I used to run a sound board at a chuch and I've also heard some good things about them.

go to musiciansfriend.com and look around read some reviews. Good luck.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Last edited by think11270 at Aug 24, 2006,
As far as power amps go, any professional PA power amp will do just fine... One of the most popular power amps for bass is the Crest CA series, the CA9 in particular.
If you want a light power amp, I hear the QSC PLX and PLX2 series are very good, and some weigh only 13lbs/5.9kg.

Some suggestions for pre-amps: Aguilar DB680, Eden WP100, Ashdown pre-amps...

And if you want to make your sound-guy a happy person: Avalon U5 DI... Can also act as some sort of pre-amp I think...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
What exactly does a power amp do? I feel kind of dumb asking becaue I've seen an explination before and I still don't understand it. Thanks in adv.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
well, I'll explain both pre and power amp, since they go together...

the pre-amp is a device that 'shapes' the sound. This could be a mixing board or a bass pre-amp (like the ones I mentioned). It amplifies the sound a bit so that it can be shaped more easilly: change EQ, add distortion,...
But the signal that it puts out isn't powerfull enough to drive speakers. So this is where the power amp comes in. It takes the signal it gets on its input, and amplifies it a lot. It doesn't change anything in the signal, just amplify it.
You might see the pre-amp as the little smart kid who does all the thinking, and the power-amp as the big strong stupid guy who does all the heavy work for the smart kid.

Poweramps come in various forms, but mostly it's a stereo (or dual mono) power amp. Two inputs, two outputs. Some amps offer the ability to combine the two channels to get an even powerfull mono channel (this is called bridging; bridge mode). I think this explains the basics of a poweramp... If you have questions, feel free to ask.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Well I know what a Preamp does, I really want a tube pre-amp too, but I'm broke right now, so that will have to wait.

What exactly does the poweramp do for say, a stereo amp?

Like, does it boost your heads wattage output?

Does it affect your sound?

Is it really a wise investment?

I know this is a little off topic but what do the Power Attentuators do? Like the "Hot Plate."
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
post this on talkbass.com or search around there alot of those guys use rack setups so you should find alot of good advice over there also.
no price limit?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eden-WT1550-Bass-Power-Amplifier?sku=488205

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eden-WP100-Navigator-Bass-Preamp?sku=485244
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Last edited by RAGEING_BAD_@$$ at Aug 26, 2006,
A poweramp doesn't affect your sound in any way other than making it louder...

A poweramp, in stereo mode/bridge mode/mono mode/parallel mode, does nothing else than taking the input signal on input A and input B, amplify it, and put it out at output A and output B.

If you mean stereo amp as in home-stereo amp, then it's pretty much the same, but most of those amps come with a built-in tuner and EQ/input selector switches... So these have a pre and a poweramp built-in. So do guitar and bass amps. Professional poweramps only have the part that amplifies the sound, the poweramp section.

Does it boost your heads wattage output? Well, it isn't wise to hook up your speaker outputs to the poweramp inputs (du-uh). If you can hook it up (trough DI/FX send/...) than it can make your setup go louder. Offcourse, hooking up a 300w poweramp to a 800w head won't make much of a difference...

It shouldn't affect your sound. The professional ones certainly don't.

IMO it's a wise investment because this way you have a 'modular design' and can upgrade the power amp section of your setup if you need more power. Also, some poweramps can handle more power than most bassamps can. (I haven't found a bassamp that puts out 3000W, not that you'd ever need it anyway...).

A power attenuator is a device that fakes an extra load on the amp output. This way you can turn your volume up (to get a good sound... some guitarplayers say that some amps sound better when crancked up...) without the sound comming out of your speaker being louder. That's about the basics of it. I never had any experience with one myself, this is what I've read and heard about it.

I hope this made things more clear
Quote by John Swift