Hi guys

I'm hoping to start singing in the local acoustic night, but I have two problems!

Firstly, I'm terrified! Any tips on how to overcome the fear and just do it?

Secondly, there are some songs I want to do, but can't because the singer's voice is too high for me and I don't know how to change the key! For instance, Amazed by Lonestar is at too high a pitch for me at the minute so would like to play it at a lower pitch and dont know how to change it from the chords given (here on UG)

Any tips most welcome
Well, it depends on what you want to sing it in. Take Dammit by Blink 182 for example.

The key of that song is A right cause it starts in A. Say you want to play it in B, so you don't have to sing that high, you would play 2A, 2E, 4E, 0E instead of 3A, 3E, 5E, 0E.

I think that's how it works, it obviously can't work for some songs, and the main riff of dammit would be harder to do I'm not sure. Someone wanna add to what I said?
And of course taht would be the same for chords. If it was in G and you wanted to play it in B.. I think, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, and I do think my notes above are wrong..
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Something you might be able to do is tune your guitar down a whole step. That's not going to help you much, but you won't have to change fingerings at all. I wouldn't recommend tuning an acoustic down very far. You'll change the sound and it might not sound how you like it anymore.

EDIT: Or i suppose you could get a capo and put it on the 7th fret or something and sing it an octave down. That would sound wierd, though.

I have the same problem, though. I sing bass in choir, so a lot of songs are too high for me.

EDIT 2: "Rain" by Breaking Benjamin. The album version. It's all acoustic.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Last edited by aprescott_27 at Aug 24, 2006,
Oh and any recommendations for good acoustic songs I could do would also be welcome!

So far I'm thinking

Losing My Religion - REM
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Home - Michael Buble
Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Israel K
For the changing key thing: It's times like this you might want to break out the good ol' capo.

EDIT:

Amazed by Lonestar is at too high a pitch for me

Nevermind then, lol.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Aug 24, 2006,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
For the changing key thing: It's times like this you might want to break out the good ol' capo.
That will make everything higher.

If you just want to change by semitone or so, your best bet if to tune down. It'll save all the annoyance of having to lower everything by a fret or 2, which is especially annoying when the low E string is involved.
^ It'll make the chord voicings higher, certainly, but he could still sing a low melody line to higher voiced chords as long as the key is correct.

But ultimately, transposing to a key really isn't that difficult. How familiar are you with the major scale?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ It'll make the chord voicings higher, certainly, but he could still sing a low melody line to higher voiced chords as long as the key is correct.
I think that will sound weird, but I guess it's worth trying.
it's pretty simple: when you want the key a semitone lower, all the chord and notes are played a semitone lower, so A becomes G#, C becomes B and so on, sometimes you have to change the shape because you cant play an E a fret lower so you'd play it like
x
x

but i assume you know chords in different positions so that wont be a problem

hope youll figure it out, good luck
i do it this way... i find out the scale which is like say C major so it will be C D E F G A B C so now i want to go lower so i change to A so its like this A B C# D E F# G# A

say the chords are C G Amin F
it will be the 1st then 5th then 6th then 4th chord

so i find out the 1 5 6 4 chord in the A major
which will be A E F#min D

then just look up the chords or sth or use barre chords.... hope this helped
^ good basic premise, for the singing the best thing you can do is go in there with a "no big deal" type attitude, i'm not the best vocalist in the world by any means but i'm pretty decent and the only time i really suck is when i worry about it. as for transposing a song what forsake said is the best way to go about it, theres a couple different ways, i'll show you two..... lets say a simple song is written in a I-IV-V progression in G (like 'picture' kid rock/sheryl crow GM,CM,DM,CM) but you can't sing it in G, but you think you probably could in F, You could either capo at the first fret and move everything down one full step (FM,BbM,CM,BbM) or you could tune the whole guitar down 1 full step, now tuning down the guitar will give the most accurate recreation because then you can use the same chord voicing used on the album but they will just be 1 step low, wheres capoing you will be using the same chords but not the exact same voicings. hope that helps