ive been wondering lately which is the better brand.
my musical preferences are indie/alt., and hard rock
Brand means nothing.... It's the models that the brands make that count. Compare a Marshall MG (the highest mode) to the comparable Valvetronix model, and the Vox wins by a landslide. Compare that same Vox to a Marshall JCM 800, and the JCM 800 wins.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
For your type of music, as long as it's not an MG...Marshall.

EDIT: What's your price range dude? If you're only able to afford the lower end models get the vox valvetronix instead of the MG. But if you can afford a tube amp get a marshall.

Marshall's tend to have better crunch than vox's. IMHO
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
Get the Vox. For the low end amps, they're much better than the Marshall MG.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I may go into Sound Control this weekend and try out a Marshall MG...
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Price range? 30 watt amps run anywhere from $200 to $1400.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Indie has no balls, it's mostly cleans. With an OD.
Although I do notice hard rock is also an essenciality.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Aug 24, 2006,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Indie has no balls, it's mostly cleans. With an OD.
Although I do notice hard rock is also an essenciality.

I'm talking Marshall's, not indie music in general
Quote by rockers73
I may go into Sound Control this weekend and try out a Marshall MG...

Do not waste your time with the MGs, if youre looking at the lower price range, go with the Vox. If you can afford something more pricy, then go for a Marshall Tube amp (JCM800/900/2000) ect.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
go with the vox ad30vt
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
I personally think that marshall makes better amps, but they don't make them anymore. The only amp that marshall makes anymore, which is my favorite amp, is the bluesbreaker. Pretty much any vox amp you buy you can be happy with. This is for my style of playing though, so you may like marshall amps a bit more
Basically IMO Vox is only good for there cleans even then there are better clean amps out there for example Fender twin and the Roland JC both have better cleans IMO.

For Dist the marshall wins hands down the Voxs distortion is no match for the Gigantic balls of an 800
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
if i had a choice between a Vox or a Marshall i would ef. choose a Marshall (except their solid states ones) vox's have GREAT cleans and they stay clean at high volumes but Marshall's just have that hrunch. but if you are on a budget i would get a vox, mainly because if you know how to tweak and EQ you can get very heavy and crunchy tones out of a Vox. i jsut wish i could record my settings so everybody could see how heavy mine is. it really all depends on what model your talking about. the Valvetronix VTX series are HEAVIER than the regular Valvetronix.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Considering you're looking at an MG, I'm going to suspect that your price range is relatively low, so tube amps are out. In which case, a Vox AD30VT is deffinately a good amp to look into.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
This is my exact dilemna.

I have an AC30 TB/6 with celestions. It is a damn good amp for classic rock and indie rock, but I want to play thrash metal, which it's not really suited for - it doesn't really give a good low end chug.

So I'm thinking of trading it in for a Marshall JCM800 4104 2x12 combo - you guys think this is a wise move?