right, im having trouble moving up and down the fretboard, say im playin a pwerchord riff at teh lower notes 1-5 say, and i go into a solo, how do i work my way to the higher frets without it sounding ****, i always see shredders moving diagonally up and down th e fretboard ie from low e low frets to high e high frets, and i want to know how to do this without it sounding **** which it does when i do it.

i know my scales, but i cant really connect them too well and thats my problem i suppose but is there any specific way to do the runs i mentioned before? becaus ewhen i move from the low e to the next string and try to move up higher on the fretboard in the scale it sounds crap, any help
i dont have a link but a while back i saw a guy do an excercise on youtube i think he called it "hopscotch" thatl get you what your looking for if you can find it... oh also i think it might be on shred academy not shure but either way yeah look for it its a good lesson
Well, one factor might be the chords playing behind the scales.

If you play an A major chord and, in the solo, simultaneously play a C, it's going to sound sort of dissonant because A major has the note C# in it. You might also be playing a completely different scale for a certain progression. Like if you have the progression C-F-G and are soloing in E major.

Do you know the notes on the fretboard? If you only learn scales in patterns, then, imo, it'll limit your soloing later on.
no i know bout all the key of the song and what scales or modes to use but i just cant move smootthly diagonally along a scale through all teh patterns and it sound 'connected' instead of all disjointed and i find using slides to just slide up into the next pattern how else can i move between these patterns without slides to make it sound more metal and shred better
dont worry so much about modes at this stage, just group the scales, look at one, where it ends, and thats where the next one starts, just work your way up througuh different ways then

like see one shape, the octave of that shape, and then go up before you play the scale, and play the octave of the next shape that connects with it, then go back play the first one through, pause, then the second one, and get use to where the notes are and how to shift into it and whatnot, then just play it all the way through, then add more octaves and so on
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Last edited by EZLN libertad at Aug 24, 2006,
try using two octave arpeggios with position shifts...it really helps the transition from high to low while sounding fluid and smooth...or try connecting three or four note-per-string patterns because they cover a lot of ground (or fretboard) fairly quickly if used correctly
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Or.... to play the devil's advocate.... find a position to play the notes you want to play where you don't have to worry about what it looks like (ie. moving diagonally up the neck). As long as you like the way it sounds, and it makes sense for your hands, it doesn't matter how you get from A to B.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah but i want to build up from the lower frets to the climaxat teh higer frets if you knowwhat i mean chris
Okay, that's fine. Let's say you're in the key of E. Use a position starting at the seventh fret (the B on the E string is the 7th fret, and is the 5th note in an E scale) and use a three notes per string pattern that will take you up to the E on the 12th fret, first string. That gives you a fair range without having to shift your hand.

Alternately, you could start in the same place, and shift positions to a spot higher on the neck (or lower... ) at the point where one phrase ends and another begins. Granted, that won't give you the "hey everyone, I can shred up the neck like a mofo" effect you're describing, but it is at least practical.

If you want some shred ideas, others here will probably give you more, but a couple things you can do...

Keep shifting positions using a slide up every other string from one form of a scale to another form of the same scale in a different position. Ex. from C ionian to D dorian to E phrygian, etc., with each shift using a different hand shape. Less efficient, but more visually impressive, and will get you up the neck in a more fluid motion.

Also try three notes per string as you go up and occasionally tap one with the right hand while you shift with your left to another position, similar to above.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks man, useful, but i am kinda lookin to move to that , 'hey everyone i can shred up the neck like a mofo' effect, but it'll take alot of hard work but im gonna do it if it kills me
, ive been playin since march and i can play trivium songs like 'pull harder on the string...' so i think im well on my way.