Hi all,

I have been playing guitar now for oh about 2 days, and I?m having real trouble switching from the three basic cords - G to D to C and so forth. Is there a certain technique in switching between cords? Takes me forever to switch. I know it?s only been two days but just wondering are there steps to take to make it easier. Also are there any suggestions on how to improve my practice schedule, it consists of this:

- Play the chromatic scale
- Play G,D and A and try to move form cord to cord.
- Guitar picking exercise

Oh and one more thing when do the guitar strings stop feeling like razor wire. My fingers kill.

Cheers,
Bill
try to move your fingers as little as possible. And practise practise practise. The less movement, the less amount of time it takes to perform that movement.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
first step to chords, spell them right, though i made that mistake too when i started, but yeah....... try to find ways to make you fingers move to the next position smoothy.. good luck
And your fingers stop feeling razor wire when you develop calluses. Probably inside the next week.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
You've just gotta practice those chord changes. It'll also take a little while for your calluses to build up, how much time it takes really depends on how much you play.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
there is really no technique, eventually after practise, your fingers will just find the right spots on the fretboard
Quote by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"

yeah it becomes natural, something im still working on
just go over and over and over it untill it is second nature and your fingers can find the right spot without even looking
Quote by MetalMilitia212
keep doing it until you get it, so stop looking for easy ways out and practice.

Oh I'm practicing but was just wondering if there is a technique. For instance what I do now is I play the chord then remove all my fingers form the fret board - meaning I completely open my hand. Then I place one figure at a time on the strings for the new chord I want to play. Takes forever. I'm going to try out refgerto's advice and try to move my fingers as little as possible. Should I slide my fingers gently across the string to the next position?
for your fingers dont worry it will take a while you wont even feel it in the next few weeks
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
ive got a good technique to switching easier.

practice persistence and dedication so another words dont give up cuz your not fast yet
keep practicing and youll get there
Quote by BillPana
Oh I'm practicing but was just wondering if there is a technique. For instance what I do now is I play the chord then remove all my fingers form the fret board - meaning I completely open my hand. Then I place one figure at a time on the strings for the new chord I want to play. Takes forever. I'm going to try out refgerto's advice and try to move my fingers as little as possible. Should I slide my fingers gently across the string to the next position?

I do that too. Try Stairway to Heaven or Under the Bridge, thats how I learned.
Dickless.
practice just going slow and strumming the chord fingering once, then slowly swithc to the next chord. i find this helped me alot when i was just starting out
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
If you're playing chords at all after only 2 days you're doing pretty well, though one mistake that beginners make is fretting the chords too hard, you obviously don't want to fret them too lightly or you will get buzzing, but if you position your thumb and fingers well you really don't have to apply that much pressure, you should also remember that there is more than one way to finger just about any chord so you can experiment to find the which fingerings make it easiest to switch between particular chord sequences, eg, for switching from G to D, I would use these shapes:

Quote by Mr Songwriter
one mistake that beginners make is fretting the chords too hard, you obviously don't want to fret them too lightly or you will get buzzing, .....

.......eg, for switching from G to D, I would use these shapes:......

I will try fretting the cords more softly. Maybe that is why my fingers hurt so much. I mean they kill to the point I wince with pain after an hour of practicing the chords.

As for my figure position I use those exact fingers as in your pictures; although my thumb is placed more horizontal and towards the bottom of the neck when I play G. I?ll try to adjust my thumb placement. That may help as well.
Quote by BillPana
I will try fretting the cords more softly. Maybe that is why my fingers hurt so much. I mean they kill to the point I wince with pain after an hour of practicing the chords.

As for my figure position I use those exact fingers as in your pictures; although my thumb is placed more horizontal and towards the bottom of the neck when I play G. I?ll try to adjust my thumb placement. That may help as well.

The finger pain is totally normal. Espescially if you're playing a steel-string acoustic (are you?). Just give it time, man. And you're thumb placement sounds fine.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Well personally, find the best fingerings. Once you do that, you'll know if oyu have to remove fingers, or just slide them somewhere else.
I'm a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink." I say "So shall I!"
Quote by invisible_man
The finger pain is totally normal. Espescially if you're playing a steel-string acoustic (are you?). Just give it time, man. And you're thumb placement sounds fine.

I'm playing a Ibanez RG321. I guess I should welcome the pain it means I'm learning to play the guitar. I can't wait till I get finger calluses WOOT!!