hello, I was wondering what scales and chords jimi hendrix used to write his songs. The only chords that i know he used often is E7#9. If this is a stupid question or if no one can answer it then can some tell me some useful scales, Thank you
Between the E7#9, a handfull of basic major and minor chords, and the standard blues scale, you're pretty much home, really. The rest is in the execution, feel, and how you use your gear.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
chords....

E, A, B, G, Bb, F#

variations of above with sevenths, or made minor.

Blues scale.... E, G, A, A#, B, D, E

ct
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
He used one chord just as much as another. There was no "favorite" of his, really. He mainly relied on the blues scale... or major pentatonics. He never did anything theoretically complicated.
Looking for my India/Django.
scale wise, like most from that era, Jimi Favored the pentatonics and the blues scale for the majority of his work, but he did dabble with dorian and I believe mixolydian on a few songs.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
If you look at stuff like Hey Joe, Little Wing, and Bold as Love, you'll see what he does with the chords in terms of his rhythm guitar style. It's more the style than the chords.

If anyone has better examples that'd be good, but those are what I learned from.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Krieg Commando
hello, I was wondering what scales and chords jimi hendrix used to write his songs. The only chords that i know he used often is E7#9. If this is a stupid question or if no one can answer it then can some tell me some useful scales, Thank you
Go to this site http://www.harrycoffeyband.moonfruit.com/ it's live rcording that one of my bands made, I think track 4 but shown as 7 is Hendrix's Redhouse, I've never been a fan of his but I like some of his work, the only versions I've ever listned to are those of the bands that I've played the song in, what I'm saying is learn to feel it, it's only three chords in whatever key you decide to play it in.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Aug 24, 2006,
According to Guitar One: "Hendrix often used the minor pentatonic (add2) scale (1-2-b3-4-5-b7)", Hope that helps.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
He used a lot of variety in his chord voicings -- IOW a lot of the chord shapes he used were not your typical barre chords or power chords.

For example, he would play partial barres, barreing his first finger across the first two strings, using his second and third fingers for the third and fourth string, and using his thumb for the bass note:

--3--
--3--
--4--
--5--
-----
--3--

then use his pinky to add little chord embellishments. On the third string, gives the sound of a sus chord:

--3--
--3--
--5--
--5--
-----
--3--

On the second string, gives the sound of a sixth:

--3--
--5--
--4--
--5--
-----
--3--

On the first string, gives the sound of an add9:

--5--
--3--
--4--
--5--
-----
--3--

He also used chord inversions (the lowest note is the third or the fifth instead of the root). For example, barre your finger across the fifth fourth and third strings:

-----
-----
--5--
--5--
--5h7--
-----

or across the fourth third and second strings:

-----
--5--
--5--
--5h7-
-----
-----

He also had some unusual chord shapes, like this for example, he used on Third Stone from the Sun, also Angel. He moved this shape around to different locations on the neck while continuing to let the both open E strings sound:

--0---
--12--
--9--
--11--
--11--
--0--
He used that same flat-seven#9 form all over the fretboard. Check out a tab for Little Wing or The Wind Cries Mary and you'll get some good examples of how he used chords.
Krieg Commando In songs like "Purple Haze" and "Red House" he used the Mixolydian/blues hybrid scale" which is both the Mixolydian and Blues scale combined.  This is very common in the blues.  The Blues scale is 1 - b3 - 4 - b5 - 5 - b7 and the Mixolydian is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - b7.  Of course, you don't play the scale in sequence like that.  It's all about the phrasing and the push and pull of the minor vs the major tonalities.  It's best heard by example.  Listen to the opening riff of Red House when the band comes in on the IV chord (you'll also notice that Hendrix is really nailing the b3rd of the blues scale over the IV chord which is also the b7 of that chord).  Notice how he uses the b3rd over the 4 chord and then shifts to the major 3rd over the 1 chord.  Makes sense when you analyze the harmony of the chords.  

In the "Purple Haze" solo he does the same kinda' thing.  Uses the Mixolydian scale and the Blues scale.  Again, it's commonly called the "Mixolydian/Blues hybrid scale" because it's so common.  Now that you know the secret, you'll hear it all the time.

As a final note, you can use the Dorian scale in a lot of blues as well, but that should be used over Minor chords as opposed to major chords.  

I know this post is super old, but I just did my homework on this stuff and figure I'd pass on what i learned.  Hope this helps someone out there.  Rock on!
I have recordings of my band back in 1964, back then the only scale anyone knew was tha basic Doh Re Me learnt at school. None of us knew all of these scales, songs were written or played using the chords.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift

That doesn't mean scales didn't exist back then or that they can't be helpful with understanding what's happening in music. Chords and scales are related. It's not "either or". Though, the question about which scales or chords a musician uses is pretty silly. Also, the thread is over 10 years old.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115