So yeah im into rock

Hendrix , Guns n Roses , Led Zeppelin etc

Some metal

Metallica , Megadeth , Black Sabbath

So naturally my bands music reflects some of all this.

But the solos are sounding a little weaker live and fuzzy on the recordings n i was thinking

Could it be the single coil pickups ?

If so how do i fix this ? Ive just spent 500 quid on the strat so buying a new guitar isnt on the agenda.
There are a ton of strat solos played with the middle and neck pickups to get a bit thicker. You might also consider an EQ pedal to boost your solo tones.

One thing is, 5 of the 6 bands you list use guitars with humbuckers so they'll naturally sound different. Strats are just fine for metal though, Jake E Lee and Yngwie think so at least.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
There are a ton of strat solos played with the middle and neck pickups to get a bit thicker. You might also consider an EQ pedal to boost your solo tones.

One thing is, 5 of the 6 bands you list use guitars with humbuckers so they'll naturally sound different. Strats are just fine for metal though, Jake E Lee and Yngwie think so at least.

I know this sounds incredibly noob ish but wot position should the toggle switch be in for the middle and wot position for the neck ?

Also , EQ pedal ? what exactly does it do ?
Assuming you've got a 5 way switch on your strat and three pickups, the switch will select the pickups in the same order as the pickups are positioned (i.e. when looking down at the guitar, right = bridge, pointing vertically upwards = middle and left = neck) as far as your tone goes, your pedals, amp and settings are probably a much bigger factor in the equation.
or get a semour duncan pickup booster
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Hmmm emgs eh . . . how much ?

Also ive got seymour duncans already the ones that came with it.

Whats a pickup booster do ?
i dunno if this is what you want but i went duckbucker on the neck seymour duncan in the middle and duckbucker on the bridge
Call me Jack
to get a thicker tone i raised my neck pick up and i put thicker strings on my guitar.
what type of strat? what type of pickups? any pedals? and what amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Umm.. yeah.. just get a pedal to boost your output.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
You're overwhelming the man!

Yes, single coils have a much thinner tone and hum, but there are exceptions, and it can be fixed.

If you want a thicker tone for your strat, you can buy thicker strings, buy dual rail singlecoils (hotrails), or buy a variety of pedals or amps.

To fix hum, you can buy noise cancelling pedals, or hum cancelling strat pickups.

If you aren't into buying anything, positions 2 and 4 of your selector switch will give a somewhat humbuckerish tone.
^^ That would work.

Or you could replace the bridge pickup with a humbucker if you change the pickgaurd.

Might cost a little but not as much as a new guitar.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by jj1565
what type of strat? what type of pickups? any pedals? and what amp?

Its a Korean Strat came out in 2004 its light ash.

Seymour Duncan Single Coil Pickups

Boss Ds-1 Distiortion Pedal
Vox Wah Wah Pedal

At the studio its usually a

Peavy
Line 6
what peavey and what line 6. with the amp you can get a tube amp that will be able to give you sorta the sounds you want
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what peavey and what line 6. with the amp you can get a tube amp that will be able to give you sorta the sounds you want

I dont know man i just use whatever i can get at the place we practice.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Just have the pick-up selector selecting the bridge and middle, practically a humbucker

4th position ?
well you know how when the selector is all the way 'down' you are playing the bridge, one up from that, bridge and middle, i'm not sure how the positions are numbered but yeah, one that'll select 2 pick-ups will give you a more humbucking sound
Quote by Punk_Ninja
well you know how when the selector is all the way 'down' you are playing the bridge, one up from that, bridge and middle, i'm not sure how the positions are numbered but yeah, one that'll select 2 pick-ups will give you a more humbucking sound

Ok thanks man (thats forth position btw just case your curious)

Ill try that next time im practicin

Is there any amp settings i could use ?

E.g. Nice rock rhythm and thick soloing rhythm.
if u want humbucker sound, there is no substitute for a bridge humbucker.
costs $70, and usually fits in the bridge u would just have to look under the pickguard to see if there's room.

either that or buy a better distortion pedal. something heavier than the ds1.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
if u want humbucker sound, there is no substitute for a bridge humbucker.
costs $70, and usually fits in the bridge u would just have to look under the pickguard to see if there's room.

either that or buy a better distortion pedal. something heavier than the ds1.

Pickup then i guess.

I just bought the ds-1 so im not buying another one.
and dont get me wrong. i actually own and like my ds1. its just not as versatile/heavy as other more expensive boxes.

check out dimarzio, seymour duncan sites. depends on ur locality.

u would need the humbucker room and either to cut or replace the pickguard for an HSS at an additional $20.

they also sell mini humbuckers. they fit in single coil slots. but i would only get one if the full sides humbucker didnt fit.
they have nie output but the spacing is narrow and they sound like really hot singles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
and dont get me wrong. i actually own and like my ds1. its just not as versatile/heavy as other more expensive boxes.

check out dimarzio, seymour duncan sites. depends on ur locality.

u would need the humbucker room and either to cut or replace the pickguard for an HSS at an additional $20.

So about £100 quid yeah?
yeah, i dont know the conversion, sorry i could look it up. but about $90usd wt u doing the instal urself.

and make sure u see my edit^ on hot rails up there too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Braindoctor
I know this sounds incredibly noob ish but wot position should the toggle switch be in for the middle and wot position for the neck ?

Also , EQ pedal ? what exactly does it do ?

Wait.. You're a lead guitarist for a band and you don't know how to use the pick up selecter? Oh dear god.

All the way up = neck
Middle = Middle
All the way down = bridge
Quote by Braindoctor
So rails , they as good as humbuckers?

see, now this means u didnt read my edit on hot rails. ^

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Just get a set of 'rails
humbuckers in single format

humbuckers in single format wont mean that it will exactly sound just like a humbucker much like a coil split humbucker wont exactly reproduce the tone of a single at all
Maybe Swineshead Pyro in the bridge and middle and a Spotligh tin the neck? Check www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

Then use postion 2 and 4 for the heavier stuff and maybe roll off some tone (and you could also add a MXR Micro Amp to get more output).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009