I've been playing for 6 months now and my tone is not were I want it. I've got ****ty equipment (ie. Squier strat and a fender Pro Junior), but even when I play on good equipment it's still not were I want it. A lot of people tell me that tone is in the hands. What does that mean? Are there any exercises to get better tones out of your hands?
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
Well first things first. What kinda stuff do you play?
I'm a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink." I say "So shall I!"
Well blues, for the most part, your going to want somewhat of a chunky sound so instead of putting extra trouble, try putting more bass into it. Mids can also help give definition to these notes, also use your neck pup (assuming you have one) to give it that warm fuzzy tone.
I'm a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink." I say "So shall I!"
a trick i do quite often while playing blues ( i usually do it on g b and high e stings) is just very light palm muting so it makes it fuzzyer and its a very nice tone. things like this is what people mean when they say the tone is in the hands. eg say zz top or stevie ray vaughan could make pretty much any guitar they wanted to sound good. i hope this helps and try the light palm muting. you can hear it on songs like brown sugar by zz top off his first album
Call me Jack
tone in the hands? BS!
as your ear develops you get a better sense of what to do with ya tone, ie. lower the bass, take off some gain etc etc

buying some new equipment with factory settings will automatically give you particular tones tho, boss effects prcossers etc. ie. gt6, gt8.
It doesn't matter what style you play, a good portion of the tone comes from the fingers and how you play. Give a noob a $10 000 Zemantis guitar and a $5 000 Bogner amp, and he still wont sound good. And that's what you're experiencing, shark. It's not a slam or anything, it's just lack of experience.. By the same token, give Eddie Van Halen your Squier and Fender amp, and he'll still sound like EVH. The sound quality won't be as good, but the sound will be unmistakenly EVH.

As you get more practice and get better, you will find that your fingering will be cleaner. You'll be able to pick your notes more uniformly. You will master techniques like vibrato that make you sound better. This is what's meant by tone is in the fingers.. Yes, the amp and guitar play a big part too. But your technique is what counts most.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
srv_king: I'll give that a try. I've been trying to work on scales by muting the five strings and playing just one with a strumming motion. It does give a nice tone. It's a technique I'm not real proficient at yet. I will keep practicing..

Graw: Tone is in your hands but what I think people are saying is that tone's not created in your hands, it's created in using proper technique. When I give my buddy my guitar he can make it scream, but when I play the same thing it the tone isn't as good.

Crunch: Thanks, I will keep working on my technique. It think I understand the concept more now. It's not a different technique that creates tone it's perfecting standard techniques.
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
when they say in your hands and stuff its has a lot to do with how you fret the strings, how you pick it, how you mute strings, what kind of strings, action. I personally fret strings a lot with my thumb and mute strings a lot to rake. I have a very agressive picking style that works well for srv tones. 11 or higher on strings too dude.
Quote by Crunchmeister
It doesn't matter what style you play, a good portion of the tone comes from the fingers and how you play. Give a noob a $10 000 Zemantis guitar and a $5 000 Bogner amp, and he still wont sound good. And that's what you're experiencing, shark. It's not a slam or anything, it's just lack of experience.. By the same token, give Eddie Van Halen your Squier and Fender amp, and he'll still sound like EVH. The sound quality won't be as good, but the sound will be unmistakenly EVH.

As you get more practice and get better, you will find that your fingering will be cleaner. You'll be able to pick your notes more uniformly. You will master techniques like vibrato that make you sound better. This is what's meant by tone is in the fingers.. Yes, the amp and guitar play a big part too. But your technique is what counts most.

exactly. nice post, crunch.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shark38j
Crunch: Thanks, I will keep working on my technique. It think I understand the concept more now. It's not a different technique that creates tone it's perfecting standard techniques.

Exactly. And as you progress, you will develop your own style of playing these standard techniques. This, in turn, will end up giving you 'your sound'. It just takes time and practice.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Blues, especially, is very much about expression through the hands. For instance, vibrato is often a blues player's signature. Then you have things like tension, call & response, and just developing an ear for and sense of phrasing and what note goes where. And the more you improve your technique, the better you will start to sound to yourself, no matter what equipment you're using, like Crunch said. Beware anyone who tells you your sound doesn't come from your fingers - they probably play mechanically.
Hi, I'm Peter