Well, I am here because, I was at a guitar lesson a while back, which I am no longer attending, been playing for about a year, only took two lessons to see what it was like, basically self taught other then that.. To make a long story short, The guitar teacher seen me picking, and said I was "hovering" over the strings because I wasn't anchored, and said to try and practice putting the bottom under my palm, resting on the bridge, and pick like that.. But I have seen a great deal of posts on here about this saying not to anchor your hand in any way.. wether it is the palm, pinky.. or whatever.. So.. Am I doing it the correct way, but playing "hovering" or?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, and thanks for any responses to come.
for me anyway using my pinky as a 'anchor' helps because it helps my brain realize where my hand is..ur self taught..so am i ..and when that is the case ..as long as it works then who cares..its ur style that makes it unique ..do w/e is more comfortable for you really....
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Sounds good. JohnJones.

I met a kid the other day, who has been playing for 3 years, he plays with his pinky as a anchor, but he can f*cking, shred hardcore. So I am assuming the downfall for him isn't mediocre picking, it's chance of injury from anchoring like that after so long? He was playing 15-16 notes in the blink of a eye and what not. Then again, you could tell he spent too much time on speed practice on not enough on theory and feeling.. Like, he could rip the hell out of the Harmonic Minor Scale, but, my cousin who isn't quite as fast, just sounded much better, because of the emotion in his playing.
u guys alright it matters when u shred but unless ur playing anythng else it doesnt matter as long as u can play it good
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun