Hello UG's
I recently bought an Ephipone Les Paul Standard from my local guitar shop second hand for £300. After about 4 days, I find im rather disappointed with it.
My other guitar is an strat copy. A rather cheap strat copy, called Eleca.
And well ... I find I can get a lot more out of those 3 dogey pickups than I can out of the ones on the Les Paul.

Also, the action on the guitar seems really high. But I had been arrused that the guitar was all fully set up.

What im basically saying is.., Should I change it?
Yes, the guitar looks nice. But id rather have a guitar that im happy with and sounds good... even if it does cost me £30ish in trade in price.

I was also looking at mexican strats, and starting to think id should of gone down that line...

Any advice ?
Well , all sorts really.
Def rock, also like classic rock. Def with the blues stuff coming in as well.

Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Morello, John.F, Mike McCready. Are the guitarists and sounds I like to recreate.

I don't think its my amp for a second. Cube 30 does even the worst guitar justice.
well les paul standards are £300 new so firstly you got mugged on the price.
epiphones are really dodgy in terms of quality because some can be good and some can be bad, its a matter of luck. or opinion. anyway take it back, or trade it in ow whatever and try out a guitar before bying in future to see if you like it enough.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Yeah I dig some sabbath stuff.

I did try it out first, well, for about 2mins. But I dont know what Im looking for. And cant really tell weither its for me until after a while.

Me thinks Ill take it back. Ill probably lose some money trading it back in but.
Quote by manthtscrazy
o well id stick with a strat then or maybe a sg if you like some sabbath like stuff

I have a SG and I can't make it sound like sabbath, but I don't have P-90 pickups. That's pretty much bull**** saying that if you have a guitar, it'll sound like somebody. I believe that Tommy (sp? I don't listen to them that much) even recorded with a strat sometimes. I'm also pretty sure that when he was in Jethro Tull ( I know I've seen a video from Rock n' Roll circus), he used a strat. The only reason he switched over to a SG is because he didn't have his strat with him, then when he recorded with it some more, he liked it better than his strat.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
I say take it back and try out some more guitars first. When i first tried out a Les paul style i hated it but then i kept trying guitars out and finally picked up a Tele and fell in love. Just go into guitar center and try out everything in there.
Quote by wmzbomgzors
I have a SG and I can't make it sound like sabbath, but I don't have P-90 pickups. That's pretty much bull**** saying that if you have a guitar, it'll sound like somebody. I believe that Tommy (sp? I don't listen to them that much) even recorded with a strat sometimes. I'm also pretty sure that when he was in Jethro Tull ( I know I've seen a video from Rock n' Roll circus), he used a strat. The only reason he switched over to a SG is because he didn't have his strat with him, then when he recorded with it some more, he liked it better than his strat.

no dude dont be a dumass i meant a harder sound thats just what came to mind when i thought of sg
Why did you buy it if it doesn't sound good? Did you try it in the shop? I tried a Epi LP second hand today, and I found it so good, the guy is keeping it so i can pay off £52 a month (£200 for the Guitar). IMO an Epi LP is a good match for your style of music. Why don't you buy some diMarzio or Seymour Ducan hums for the Epi, then it'll sound good.
I feel the same about my Epiphone LP standard. I bought it at the end of June thought it would be great, but now I want to return it. The upper-fret action is pretty crappy. But it's probably to late to return it now.
the only cheap guitar you should ever buy should be your first, learn to play beat it up then when you can play good and have learned a new respect for your axe then go and take a whole day at your local music store trying out new guitars till you find one that fits you.

you said you already have a cheap strat. ditch the epi and use the money as a down-payment on a gibson or fender or ibanez, etc etc.
since you like hendrix and clapton tones and you like blues, maybe a MIM strat?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!