Poll: Do you rather shredding or melodic playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you rather shredding or melodic playing?
Shred
6 15%
Melodic
34 85%
Voters: 40.
basically the thread title, do you rather listening to/playing shred or songs with feel or melodic playing
Call me Jack
...both is SO possible. Listen to Hammett, listen to Yngwie in neoclassical mode. Shred does not by definition exclude emotion, so long as it's deployed well.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Bit of both really. I listen to the stuff with my mouth open sometimes in sheer awe. But when I practice it my mouth is firmly closed in a grimace crying to myself 'why can't i do this?!'
I like to listen to mixtures of both, really. Can you still add that?

I think what makes a good song a great song is the ability to speak awesome things with slower melodic notes, but to bring forth another message with a flurry of 16ths on 221 Bpm, if you know what I mean.
ummm Shred isnt that great , In a matter of fact I hate satch , vai , malmesteen , petrucci and the likes but I hate their music. I do how ever respect the fact that they have talent , from the stuff i have heard most shredders do put alot of emotion into their playing point in case , this thread is pointless!
melodic songs all the way, they just have more meaning to them, and are jus easier to listen to IMO. shred doent hav any emotion to it really, and songs need emotion. that why you never hav shred in the charts
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
DTOE:

So you're saying that Justin Timberlake et al have feeling and melody? Wrong, they have catchy tunes and lots of advertising. Charts don't mean jack about quality.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
I listen mainly to blues and some rock from the 40's-60's, so I'm not an expert on this, but doesn't actual shred have feeling and melody? Isn't good shred played with feeling, just fast?
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
But I thought Jessica Simpson and her sister are equal to great music?

Are they not up there with Bach?
I do both.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
WTF? Horrible topic

Since when can shred not be melodic?

Derryl Gabel, Allan Holdsworth, Derek taylor, Shawn Lane? + Tons others

Even michael angelo has some melodic stuff, youve got to hear his lucic intervals album. Dont judge him because of speed kills.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
wow ive yet to hear any of thise "unemotive shred" in any songs , there is a BIG difference between shred exercises and videos and the guitarists actual songs , people watch Rusty Cooley showing off his chops on youtube and think thats shred. no.
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
I listen to both, and IMO they both have melodic touches with feeling to them. Check our some of Yngwie's neoclassical material, and some Steve Vai. Personally, as for playing shred, I find it more fun playing than I do having melodic feeling.
Quote by SlashHammett
wow ive yet to hear any of thise "unemotive shred" in any songs , there is a BIG difference between shred exercises and videos and the guitarists actual songs

i agree.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
well sometimes it can be good depending how the music flows and everything else.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
high-speed noodling never impresses me. Give me a groovy riff or a solo that moves me to tears. Now.
there are more then one kind of emotions, and each person portrays them differently..so you can't say shredding isn't "emotional". If you've ever watched Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, etc play you definitly tell they're portraying their emotions and playing with feeling.

^impossible to refute.
Listen to the solo from Selkies: The Endless Obsession, combines melodic playing and shredding. That's just one example, there are millions of others.