Page 1 of 2
I read a lot of people saying that shredding and wanking are two different things. Okay, that I can wrap my head around. Now, what I cannot figure out is what shred is if it is not wanking. Can anyone give me a proper definition so I'm not one of the "ignorant masses"?
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
well wanking is what you do in your bedroom at night over low quality japanese hentai print offs coz u dont have a girlfriend. Shredding takes years to master, wanking...maybe a day if you're a retard.
Quote by Atreideslegend
well wanking is what you do in your bedroom at night over low quality japanese hentai print offs coz u dont have a girlfriend. Shredding takes years to master, wanking...maybe a day if you're a retard.

If this post represents the majority of "shredder" mentality, then nevermind my thread.
Quote by gogita21
If this post represents the majority of "shredder" mentality, then nevermind my thread.

well ask a stupid question....

...pardon me for asking but what exactly is the relevance between shredding and masturbation?

...unless you're shredding your penis.... :S
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Aug 24, 2006,
"Wanking" referred to the act on guitar. Besides, I didn't ask for the difference between the two. I asked for a definition of shred. Dumbass.
Masturbating on the guitar, is basically random notes/licks that really have no relevance to what you are playing and it is usually pretty sloppy. It's pretty much what people to do show off.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by gogita21
"Wanking" referred to the act on guitar. Besides, I didn't ask for the difference between the two. I asked for a definition of shred. Dumbass.

The why didnt you just ask? Instead of spewing out a load of bull**** about jerking off. In specifying that there is a relationship between shredding and 'FRET wanking' and querying the nature of shredding itself you are implying within your question an answer dealing with the nature of both said pastimes. If you wanted to know what shredding was, the words "So what exactly is shredding" would have sufficed.
I'd define shred as any form of highly technical music that is often fast.

Key word is music.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I'd define shred as any form of highly technical music that is often fast.

Key word is music.

So jazz is shred then is it? Ladies and gentlemen we are on a roll tonight.
Quote by Atreideslegend

Yes, as is classical and bluegrass.
Atreideslegend, take a valium.

To me, shred hasn't got that much to do with any genre, or speed. It has to do with "intelligent" musicians who aren't technically held back in any way shape or form and are theoretically knowledgable and utilise this feat in their improvisations/compositions/...

To me, that's the crux of the matter, and something many people find offensive.

Their problem, not mine.

So for jazz, I'd certainly call, say, bebop "shred", while I might'nt be so sure about something like smooth jazz.

That's just my view on the often pejorative name and how it is used and what different kinds of music it brings up for discussion in this shred forum.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Ya, Tom and Resi put it well. Shred = Highly technical, usually difficult, often guitar based, sometimes fast, almost always clean....MUSIC (usually highly musical as well, loaded with theory) A couple good examples of it that aren't always fast (this is where people get stuck, they assume all shred is fast) are Guthrie Govan, Marty Friedman, Mattias IA Eklhundh

And...Wank = Fast, Usually not that technical, not very musical, often not very clean...Some good examples are the guys in Dragonforce, Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine (His soloing is just average)
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Last edited by Erc at Aug 24, 2006,
rustys on the wankange shreding cusp there buddy but i actually have seen a video of him playing rather emotional and not ruin it my playing extremly fast
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by metalmaster362
rustys on the wankange shreding cusp there buddy but i actually have seen a video of him playing rather emotional and not ruin it my playing extremly fast

I'm having lots of trouble reading that... so I assume you're saying Rusty is wank... but can get emotional... Oh for dear god please don't even bring the word emotion into this subject. Also I know Rusty can sometimes... get pretty wanky when he starts doing some massive sweeps. But I personaly think Rusty if far from wank.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

i think if you asked 'who' is shred instead of 'what' is shred u'll probably get a better idea of what it is.
Everyone's got their own idea .. as you can see you ask the question and you'll get tons of completely different responses.

I try to avoid using the word 'shred', personally. I've never once heard Satch, Vai, Petrucci, Malmsteen etc. use the term in conversation and it doesn't really accurately describe anything anyway. Sure it gives a general idea .. but as for specifics everyone's got their own thoughts.

Is Britney Spears Pop ? Of course .. I don't think anyone would argue that (unless they're really bored or drunk). Is Hendrix "shred" ? Well it depends who you ask.
That was a really nice collection of videos Erc. Oscar Peterson was the most amazing to watch. Who can improvise like that.

EDIT: BTW I can watch the video of eruption with a smile on my face while I clicked Francesco away pretty fast. There is a difference between the two in shred/wank ratio.
Last edited by ILoveHarmonics at Aug 25, 2006,
Quote by ILoveHarmonics
That was a really nice collection of videos Erc. Oscar Peterson was the most amazing to watch. Who can improvise like that.

Michel Petrucciani.
Quote by Atreideslegend
i think if you asked 'who' is shred instead of 'what' is shred u'll probably get a better idea of what it is.

I think you should either contribute something useful to the conversation and answer his question(without being a dumbass, like you've been doing) or shut the fuck up. It's really not that hard. Watch:

I'd think shred to be extremely technical, can be fast but not always is, encompasses multiple genres of music, and is limited by the players desire to learn proficiency at the instrument. But I also think that Tom and Resi covered it quite well and in better words than I ever could.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Yes threadstarter please do not listen to Atreideslegend,he does not represent the vast majority of us here or our views.
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
Quote by gogita21
I read a lot of people saying that shredding and wanking are two different things. Okay, that I can wrap my head around. Now, what I cannot figure out is what shred is if it is not wanking. Can anyone give me a proper definition so I'm not one of the "ignorant masses"?

There's not an exact definiton. Just like there's not an exact definition of good music. If you listen a lot of different kinds of technical music your ear probably develops and you can figure out the difference by yourself.
I've never really understood shred either, but my biggest problem has to be between the difference of shred and what people call wanking, so let's see if I can get this right.

Shredding is a skill marked by proficient players who are technically sound and have a strong command of the fretboard and notes/sound of it. Because of that they are able to play progressions, solos, etc quickly as well as improvise( and not have it sounding repetitive).

Wanking on the other hand, is similar to shredding, except that although the player may be highly skilled and may command a vast knowledge of their guitar, fretboard, and sound, their material is usually just a collection of licks and tricks that might awe a crowd, but it doesnt necessarily sound good or stand well on itself.[Although it hurts me to say this, I would have to admit, if I have the right definition of wanking, that Eruption by EVH is certainly an example. Although his technical ability is amazing the solo seems to be more of a technical demonstration than an actual piece of music.]
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
^Exactly

You hit the nail on the head. Only thing is that EVH's technical ability isn't THAT great, but yes that is an example of wanking.

A great example of wank would be someone who plays exercises to show off.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Quote by kshelt76
I've never really understood shred either, but my biggest problem has to be between the difference of shred and what people call wanking, so let's see if I can get this right.

Shredding is a skill marked by proficient players who are technically sound and have a strong command of the fretboard and notes/sound of it. Because of that they are able to play progressions, solos, etc quickly as well as improvise( and not have it sounding repetitive).

Wanking on the other hand, is similar to shredding, except that although the player may be highly skilled and may command a vast knowledge of their guitar, fretboard, and sound, their material is usually just a collection of licks and tricks that might awe a crowd, but it doesnt necessarily sound good or stand well on itself.[Although it hurts me to say this, I would have to admit, if I have the right definition of wanking, that Eruption by EVH is certainly an example. Although his technical ability is amazing the solo seems to be more of a technical demonstration than an actual piece of music.]

Pretty much.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Well I think Shred and wank have a middle line, that varies per person, metal heads will enjoy wank a bit more than your average forum guy, I think axegrinder falls into this category. Jazz musicians wplay unbearably complex things with a rediculous pallet of notes for a metal head, but for an experienced jazz musician its soothing etc. The pentatonics of a wanky metal band would offend this jazz guys ears to no end, so you see shred is what you make it, sometimes wank sounds good to you.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
Well I think Shred and wank have a middle line, that varies per person, metal heads will enjoy wank a bit more than your average forum guy, I think axegrinder falls into this category. Jazz musicians wplay unbearably complex things with a rediculous pallet of notes for a metal head, but for an experienced jazz musician its soothing etc. The pentatonics of a wanky metal band would offend this jazz guys ears to no end, so you see shred is what you make it, sometimes wank sounds good to you.

Yeah.

Quote by kshelt76
Wanking on the other hand, is similar to shredding, except that although the player may be highly skilled and may command a vast knowledge of their guitar, fretboard, and sound, their material is usually just a collection of licks and tricks that might awe a crowd, but it doesnt necessarily sound good or stand well on itself.[Although it hurts me to say this, I would have to admit, if I have the right definition of wanking, that Eruption by EVH is certainly an example. Although his technical ability is amazing the solo seems to be more of a technical demonstration than an actual piece of music.

Well, I wouldn't say wanking is done by players that are highly skilled and command a vast knowledge of... Anything really... It's usually pretty sloppy and with no theoretical coherence...

I wouldn't call "a collection of licks and tricks that might awe a crowd wanking", because then Paul Gilbert's Mr. Big live solo spots could just as well be called wanking, when I definitely don't think they are. ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4163820284644745223&q=paul+gilbert )

When they realise what they're doing physically and theoretically and it's technically sound, I wouldn't call it wanking. For me, wanking is someone who's trying to shred, but fails miserably, thus tries to sound fast - resulting in wank.... Like this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7812255985381684803&q=paul+gilbert

For example, I'd never call Francesco Fareri wank, because he knows what he's doing, has got the technique, and undoubtedly evolved into wanting to - and enjoying to play what he does.

There's a difference between stuff you don't like or is too extreme for you (e.g. Fareri) and wank, though the untrained ear coupled with the closeminded brain may percieve it as such.

And yeah, Eruption is crap.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
i think i have to finally admit that eruption is wank
though it is so much fun playin
ive kinda gotten over it
ya know what im sayin
EDIT:for shred masta(i figured i do it this way so i dont make random post)
anyway
i love that song sad but true
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Last edited by hepzibahbaptist at Aug 28, 2006,
yeah wanking to me someone trying to shred and hits like open notes every 2 seconds and like tremelo picks every note and tries to make it sounds like fast alternate picking.
sad but true
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I think you should either contribute something useful to the conversation and answer his question(without being a dumbass, like you've been doing) or shut the fuck up. It's really not that hard. Watch:

I'd think shred to be extremely technical, can be fast but not always is, encompasses multiple genres of music, and is limited by the players desire to learn proficiency at the instrument. But I also think that Tom and Resi covered it quite well and in better words than I ever could.

Tbh personally i'd say that my remark WAS useful, maybe u just didnt understand what i was implying, u can decribe shred in words as much as u want but you will NEVER understand what it is fully, its like trying to describe 'rock music' to an alien. Why dont u just go out on to limewire and download a ****load of satch and vai stuff, and anyone else that is generally regarded as shred, then work it out for yourself??? At the end of the day thats the only freedom anyone really has :P

Every different form of music has its place and its purpose and EVERY type of music bar none has value, so leave off the whole wanking thing, its just people trying to create a reaction in their audience that they find satisfying for them and they dont really deserve your patronization.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Aug 31, 2006,
Even wanking serves it's purpose anyway. It can fit the messy and aggressive sound of death metal.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Just don't ****ing label it as shred, alright?

Click.
Of course not ^_^

That's not to say that death metal guitarists can't shred though. There are some who can and some who can't.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by Atreideslegend
Tbh personally i'd say that my remark WAS useful.

Being a smartass about what he was asking is not being useful.

It would have been much simpler to answer the question in an intelligent fashion.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by apocalypse13
Of course not ^_^

That's not to say that death metal guitarists can't shred though. There are some who can and some who can't.

Stop saying obvious things like "that's your opinion" and that there are death metal guitarists who can shred and that there are who can't

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuh, jeez.

Click.
Rofl, twas more like a general statement rather than being directed at you.

But yeah it is pretty obvious...

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by Atreideslegend

Yeah but dont confuse the 2. Jazz is a style of music. Shred is really just how u play the music
meow :3
Id say shredding is playing the peak of your technical or mechanical abilties, as oppse to staying well within your technical boundaries, which many very good guitarists (who are not shredders) do.
It does not neccecarily have to be complicated music in terms of theory: many 'shredders' in the 80's had absolutely no knowledge of theory whatsoever.

Wanking however is more to do with learning things badly. a real shredder will be able to play any lick in any postion on the guitar. someone who wanks only knows how to play that lick in one postion , because their understanding of music and how it relates to the fretboard is limited to simple postion playing. Its hard to explain, but without learning and understanding the music of what you are doing, you can end up in a box where you only see licks as collections of fret numbers, as oppose to scalular phrases.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Last edited by ~1954~ at Sep 5, 2006,
I put it as this:

Shred as the word says is fast "shredding" all over the fretboard. It's more a term.

but people here go deeper and say you've got good shred and bad shred.

What's good shred? What's bad?

Well apparently clean playing can be considered good shred or play every possible shape can be cosidered good shred. For me Good shred is Shred with a underlying thought otherwise to me it's Wanking.

Wanking is considered: A. Bad Shred
B. something you do in you're bedroom

So now wanking your dick is the same term used in guitar? Posiby because of the motion and Unémotion from what is appartently bad shred.

(*)I think that if you can technically do whatever you want and theory is no more then walking to you" you can be called a good shredder.

I don't want to be a wanker (which is another term used for people that talk to much), but officially shredding is fast playing and virtuosity is (*).

I Mean if there are so much opinions about it why don't we just use what is assumed and written on paper.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I don't want to be a wanker (which is another term used for people that talk to much), but officially shredding is fast playing and virtuosity is (*).

And when was this official definition of shred written?
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Page 1 of 2