I been playing for about 2 and a half months, and for the past week i been practicing the stairway to heaven solo. my left hand is able to hit the frets fast enough, but my accuracy and speed with a pick ( I learned with finger on my acoustic, just got an electric) isnt the greatest, and its causing me to mess up alot of the solo. What are some good exercises to speed it up and make it more accurate with a pick?
just play it slow for a while and you'll get it
thats what i did

have you heard the stairway solo from how the west was won
Quote by dave1221
just play it slow for a while and you'll get it
thats what i did

have you heard the stairway solo from how the west was won

Sadly, I dont even own how the west was won. Just IV.

But any ways, i can play it perfectly at 50%-80% speed, and i been playing it at that speed range for this past week, and for some reason I still keep screwing up at 100% speed. Another problem im having is that its sounding a bit doggy. But my main problem is that im just horrible with a pick, and its impossible to play this with my thumb/finger style.

I would post a video of me playing it so you guys could point out what im doing wroung, but sadly i dont have a camera
when you play guitar you're actually playing faster than you think, if you did have a camera you would see what im talking about, anyways try playing along with the song.
Quote by dave1221
when you play guitar you're actually playing faster than you think, if you did have a camera you would see what im talking about, anyways try playing along with the song.

I have, and what usualy happends is my right hand gets lost while my left does a pretty good job keeping up.

One guestion though, when your doing the solo, and on the first parts where its like
-----5---------------
-------8--5----------
7b-----------7--5--
----------------------
----------------------

when you go 8-5 and 7-5 and other times like that is it suposed to be lugato or do you pluck once for each note? Because I always pluck for every note, so that might be why im having troubles.
its supposed to be played by pulling off on those notes but it sounds good anyway
Dave is right.

In order to really get the Stairway solo down (or any reasonably fast solo, for that matter) it's important that you play with both downstrokes and upstrokes. If you always play with downstrokes, this may be a bit tricky to learn at first, but I can assure you it's worth it. You can play much faster and more accurately this way, and the sooner you learn how, the easier said learning will be.
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
try practising pentatonic sacales to start with a metronome using strict alternate picking moving to each string in turn then string skpping, one you have it weighed off use chromatic scales. You could also try anchoring your pinky finger on your picking hand on the guitar body, it helped me with my picking co-ordination when moving between strings, i dont know how or why it just did
I also meant to add there are legato phrases if you pick them you will lose pages smoothness and feel for the solo
Quote by Dardarian
Do you alternate pick?

that means upstroke and downstroke picking..how do you get better at that though?
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Unless you're downstroking fast, it's all in the wrist, I find if you wanna downstroke fast that it's easier to use 25% arm and 75% wrist.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by trigs
try practising pentatonic sacales to start with a metronome using strict alternate picking moving to each string in turn then string skpping, one you have it weighed off use chromatic scales. You could also try anchoring your pinky finger on your picking hand on the guitar body, it helped me with my picking co-ordination when moving between strings, i dont know how or why it just did

Because it gave you a point of reference and a false sense of security and sooner or later you're going to hit a plateu and stay there until you realise you can't progress with that excess stress in your hand and until you realise there is a better way but you're scared of losing the progress you've made - you're going to stay at that plateau.

Quote by Crimsonashes
that means upstroke and downstroke picking..how do you get better at that though?

You train your muscles to use the correct picking motion - and then reinforce that motion with practice.
ALSO!::!:!:!!:!::::::::

Accuracy = Speed.

Dont ever train Speed, as if you just try to go fast, you will get sloppy, and in turn LOSE ACCURACY. looking at the formula: YES that means you will lose speed.

Train ACCURACY. Slow it with a metronome, the slower the better. quarter notes at 40 bpm are what i used to help my sense of rythmn and its done great and made my technique better too.