how is the tunning stablity of a floyd rose bridge but with locking tuners instead of a locking nut, and how is the tunning stability of just a normal whammy type bride (both bigsby and strat or winklson(SP) ) with locking tunners? i am just used to a standart strat type or floyd all the way
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Locking tuners greatky improves the stability of a standard non-locking trem, but if you get a Floyd Rose it should come with a locking nut, so locking tuners would just be over kill. Because a locking nut lock string tension that preset from nut to bridge then add locking tuners and you would just lock the string tension from nut to tuners so theres no added gain. But I have never tried a Floyd with locking tuners instead of a locking nut, so you kind of at a loss from me.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Locking tuners greatky improves the stability of a standard non-locking trem, but if you get a Floyd Rose it should come with a locking nut, so locking tuners would just be over kill. Because a locking nut lock string tension that preset from nut to bridge then add locking tuners and you would just lock the string tension from nut to tuners so theres no added gain. But I have never tried a Floyd with locking tuners instead of a locking nut, so you kind of at a loss from me.

wow thanks for reading, i said no nut that doesn't mean it doesen't come with one, i wanna do behind the nut bends that you cannot do with a floyd nut, and on most of the guitars i build i use the floyd nut wiether there is a tremelo or not ... basicy you told me what i already know, good job. and u did a great job of paying attention

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Well if I told you what you already know then why did you ask for help. If you knew what I said then you really shouldnt need help with what your doing.
no behind the nut bends are diffrent i can bend only one string in a chord if i wanted to in a behind the nut bend, and trust me i am the master of floyd tricks

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
thank you silly buuger

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
So much anger in this thread...some of you guys need an enema...

There may be some issues with tuning stability, but it will work pretty well with a graphite nut or a very well made brass/bone nut with some graphite dust in the slots. If you can't do the work yourself, I'd suggest taking the guitar to a luthier and having them smooth out the nut slots and actually widen the slots on the nut side...basically make the slot look like a cone with the larger end facing the tuners. Lock the strings in the tuner and tension the string so you don't have to put more than one wrap on the post. That should take care of tuning stability.

I've been without a tremolo for so long that I just got used to doing behind the nut bends for harmonic "lifts" (Satriani uses them a lot) and steel guitar licks. When I finally got a chance to borrow my friend's RG Prestige, I just couldn't cope with the loss of that ability. I'm looking hard into the Floyd/locking tuner setup to deal with this. I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever get a chance to make it happen.