I was wondering what everyones thoughts on marshall amps were. Im lookin into a Marshall AVT150X for hard rock has anyone played it, or are they trash.
They are trash compared to tube marshalls.

JCM900 for hard rock, and pretty much anything else. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I've heard one, they are not bad. I'd look into a full tube amp myself. I'm about a week away from a JCM 2000 DSL 100. Definitely stay away from the MG series.
They are indeed decent amps.. There are plenty worse out there, however, they're extremely overpriced.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Marshalls are nice but j/ like anything else u get em up 1/4-1/2 way up they buzz like hell.
i have several marshall amps. im proud to say that an AVT is not one of them.
if you dont have much money and its all you can find for the money you do have, go for it i guess.
save up, get a good amp. you'll be happier in the long run. there is lots of options out there besides the cheap line of marshalls. vox and roland both make some decent amps that are very afordable.
save up and get an all valve marshall and you'll be happy you did.
Nutin:

The thing is, the JCM800/900s that you can find are cheaper than the AVT series. :/ There's no issue about saving, it's about being smart, and perhaps doing a bit of searching on ebay.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

i own many amps. mostly marshalls. i have a mesa tripple rectifier that my nephew currently uses in his band. i dont use it, why waste it... i have a jcm 800 that i hardly ever use anymore. as well as a jcm 900 that i use occasionaly when im in the mood to use my effects proccessor. right now i currently use my jcm 2000 tsl 100 for gigs. i also have 2 hybrid marshall heads i use for small smokey club gigs that are the valvestate 8200 bi-chorus 200. they were the last of the really good valvestate amps. before any of the MG, AVT or valvestate 2000 bull****.
when i first got my tsl 100 i hated it. almost gave up on it completely. now it is my main amp. wouldnt trade it for anything. took lots of bitching, and threats of burning it before i got used to it. glad i stuck with it because now i think its freekin amazing. very versital.
avts are indeed "trash".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
avts are indeed "trash".

Na, their not that bad. I used a VS100 head and cab for a while and their really not that bad at all. The AVT is better than the VS series in terms of output and features, but I wouldnt call them trash. For a young guitar player looking for that big distorted sound, theres nothing wrong with the AVT series. Just dont get all googly eyed over the black and gold. The tube series marshalls (JCM 800, 900, 2000) are superior to the hybrid amps, but thats to be expected.
IMO, nothing compares to the JCM 900 High Gain Dual Reverb, but this is about the AVT series.
big distorted sound, you're kidding right? I thought the AVT would be ok for classic rock, but nowhere near metal tones, and nothing big about it. I owned the AVT100, and I grew to hate it the longer I owned it. I used all kinds of pedals to try and get more out of it, but I never got a great metal tone out of it. Flubby and buzzy when I cranked it. "Ok" tones at lower volumes, but it started losing it when cranked up. The thing didn't cut thru a mix with other players well at all IME, it was very frustrating. The gold letters are what drew me in when I was a noob to gear, they are horribly overpriced for what you are getting IMO. The older VS series was far better sounding to me, I thought the newer ones were going to be an improvement, but I was wrong after getting one.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by demea
Na, their not that bad. I used a VS100 head and cab for a while and their really not that bad at all. The AVT is better than the VS series in terms of output and features, but I wouldnt call them trash.

The VS100 is not the AVT series, but the old Valvestate series. The VS-100 head and VS-8080 combo (the 80W combo version of the head) are regarded as the best-sounding solid state (yeah, hybrid, but close enough) Marshall ever made. When they 'evolved' the line to the AVT (Advanced Valvestate Technology) series, they started adding a lot of extra bells and whistles to the amp to make it more functional, but they completely changed the amp design and its sound.

IMO, Marshall actually had a good thing going with the VS series, and basically ruined it when they made the swich to AVT. They went from having a beautiful clean tone with a nice, solid, tight, and fluid drive, to having sterile cleans and a harsh, gritty, loose drive structure that's only marginally better than the MG drive.

They're not the worse amps out there, but you can get MUCH better for the money from another brand. And for the price, you could easily buy a small tube amp that would be just as loud and sound way better.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i used to have the vs65r which is the same thing really as the avt's. it was a combo and a huge leap in tone and performance from what i had been using and was giggable(spelling?) but it still wasn't really a "good" amp i now have an all tube laney vc30 and it's top notch. so imo go for an avt combo if you like the sound (it's certainly not "trash") and that's the kind of money you want to spend but if you want a really great amp you're going to have to go for the jcm's and maybe spend that bit more, or buy second hand
Quote by dj_stoker
i used to have the vs65r which is the same thing really as the avt's.

that's the problem though, they are not, even though they are "meant" to be the evolution.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Crunchmeister
The VS100 is not the AVT series, but the old Valvestate series. The VS-100 head and VS-8080 combo (the 80W combo version of the head) are regarded as the best-sounding solid state (yeah, hybrid, but close enough) Marshall ever made. When they 'evolved' the line to the AVT (Advanced Valvestate Technology) series, they started adding a lot of extra bells and whistles to the amp to make it more functional, but they completely changed the amp design and its sound.

IMO, Marshall actually had a good thing going with the VS series, and basically ruined it when they made the swich to AVT. They went from having a beautiful clean tone with a nice, solid, tight, and fluid drive, to having sterile cleans and a harsh, gritty, loose drive structure that's only marginally better than the MG drive.

They're not the worse amps out there, but you can get MUCH better for the money from another brand. And for the price, you could easily buy a small tube amp that would be just as loud and sound way better.

true dat.
i got me a vs100 head and marshall Cab and although i know there are prolly better amps all over the plave than the vs100, the vs100 works for me . I sat down with it and i tweaked it and heard what it can do, and i was pleased. sometimes, that's really all that matters, if it sounds good to you, and it works well with the other elements of a band, then good on'ya
that's how i see it
but props crunchmeister, props
Jackson Dk2M
LTD James Hetfield Truckster
1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom

ZOOM Fire 36
Marhsall Valvestate VS100
Black Box modeling device

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
Quote by Crunchmeister
The VS100 is not the AVT series, but the old Valvestate series.

Isnt that what I said? I never stated that it sounded better, just had more output power and features
I've played both and yes, I like the VS series tone a little more than the AVT, but not to the point where a young guitarist is going to be discerning about it.
And once again to sum this thread up, dont buy an AVT. lol.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Erock503
big distorted sound, you're kidding right? I thought the AVT would be ok for classic rock, but nowhere near metal tones, and nothing big about it. I owned the AVT100, and I grew to hate it the longer I owned it. I used all kinds of pedals to try and get more out of it, but I never got a great metal tone out of it. Flubby and buzzy when I cranked it. "Ok" tones at lower volumes, but it started losing it when cranked up. The thing didn't cut thru a mix with other players well at all IME, it was very frustrating. The gold letters are what drew me in when I was a noob to gear, they are horribly overpriced for what you are getting IMO. The older VS series was far better sounding to me, I thought the newer ones were going to be an improvement, but I was wrong after getting one.

+1, i own an avt100 too. Dunno about the vs, since I haven't tried it, but if crunch AND erock say it's better than the AVT, unless there's a blue moon around this evening, it is...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I haven't been particularly impressed by any Marshall, be it all tube or not.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
i think marshalls in general are kinda overpriced
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I agree that they are overpriced, but theyre a good amp, and I guess you get waht you pay for.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
^The tube amps aren't really overpriced. Buy used. So what if someone else used it? Marshall tube amps are really reliable, or so I've heard. It's the SS amps they make that seem to break down. (MGs mainly).
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220