I was really bored after being kicked out of my band for being too serious (They were pissed off because I attempted to get them to learn theory ) so I was playing some basic drills, just playing scales and building up speed as I went, when I thought It would be faster to go ring finger-middle finger-index finger-middle finger-ring finger instead of going ring-middle-index and going like that.

I thought it might be faster since you play another note by using for middle finger again but before I went on I thought I'd ask my fellow bassists if anyone's ever tried this style and if it is faster or not. Any comments, insights, tips would be aprreciated

Cheers
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
If you can get it to work, it could be faster. For me though, I stick with 1-2-3-1-2-3. Its too complicated and slower for me the other way.
I actually go in a different pattern... Let's say I is index, M is middle, and R is ring. I do an I-R-M pattern.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Well, it definatly makes the sound much much evener. Going R-M-I-R-M-I-R-I for an 8th note groove sounds very uneven. Doing the R-M-I-M-R-M-I-M would sound cleaner, but your middle finger would be doing most of the work, so building up the endurance would be harder.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
You should've used the search form before posting this thread. Cause I know there have been multiple threads about this topic before. Anyways..

The main advantage you get out of using 3 fingers is that the notes played are divided across 3 fingers, not 2. So you don't have to work as hard...which increases your endurance. Besides that, there's not much you get out of it. Well, you can do some 3 finger triplets in your bass lines that sound cool....But that's it.
It might take a little less co-ordination and timing, but in the long run, i think you'd be better off with the ring-middle-index, in terms of speed.

But, unless you're doing shred and stuff you should be fine with going back to the middle finger for the 4th stroke. I'm pretty sure that's how Steve Digiorgio does it.
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`

The main advantage you get out of using 3 fingers is that the notes played are divided across 3 fingers, not 2. So you don't have to work as hard...which increases your endurance. Besides that, there's not much you get out of it. Well, you can do some 3 finger triplets in your bass lines that sound cool....But that's it.

That's not what he was asking

He was asking if switching from the normal raked triplet (Ring, Middle, Index, Ring for a group of 4 consecutive notes) to using Ring, Middle, Index, Middle (for a group of 4 consecutive notes) is OK, or if one way is easier than the other.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
That's not what he was asking

He was asking if switching from the normal raked triplet (Ring, Middle, Index, Ring for a group of 4 consecutive notes) to using Ring, Middle, Index, Middle (for a group of 4 consecutive notes) is OK, or if one way is easier than the other.

I'm retarded haha. Sorry about that.
For the record, this is all speculation.

I'd assume that in uneven time signatures, like 5/8 or 7/8, that I M R I M I M would be the best fingering.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"