hey im a total noob to tube amps and im getting a vox ad30vt soon. i noticed it has a tube pre-amp and im guessing that makes it a tube amp even if it has a solid stte circuitry or woteva. my question is how fragile does the tube make the amp? do you have to change the tube often? where can i get new tubes and how long can i expect them to last? do they cost much?
Member #29 of the Fender Armada. Pm Arlabester...
Co-Founder of the UG Hippie Club! PM me or Blynd_Snyper to join!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
well the tube are fragile but it your gentle with them they wont break. and tubes will last between 1- 5 years normally. i have groove tubes in an amp that have been in it since 1982. so they can last a LONG time.

replacing them is easy. you just wigle them out and slide the new ones back in
if it's just a pre-amp tube, it's still a solid state amp. and it doesn't make it extreamly fragile if it's anything like mine, and ive had it 2 years withoiut needing to change it
do NOT touch them with your bare fingers. the oils in you hand will get on the tube and create a hot spot. there for running more risk of a burn out and they wont last as long so just were a glove or something.
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
you should never have to replace that tube in the lifetime of the amp, but to replace it you have to pull it out with good vigor then stick another one in.

THey're pretty damn touch too, my adv30vt slides aroudn in my car a lot and has had a few falls but still works like new.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by rocknrollgod
^ you can also try washing your hands.

there is oil constantly on your fingers. i dont care how many times you wash.its in your body and it seeps out.
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni

Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
there is oil constantly on your fingers. i dont care how many times you wash.its in your body and it seeps out.

you act as if the oils are acidic enough to cause the tube to explode.

Will the oils in your fingers get on the tubes? possibly, will it cause premature wear on the amp? Not likely. Preamp tubes hardly run as hot as say powertubes, and on this amp its not gonna cause any damge touching the tube.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
yeah, I doubt preamp tubes would get hot enough to make a difference, but I've heard the same thing about hand oils and powertubes from some old school guys. Supposedly, the oil traps the heat against the glass, and causes the glass to become weakened in that spot, and possibly fail. I haven't seen it or heard of it really happening to anyone, but I use rubber gloves when I change my powertubes just to be on the safe side.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ok thanks a lot!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
This old guy I know has an original 64 vibroverb with the original tubes in it...there are fingerprints and all sorts of grease on the power tubes and it has been working just fine for more than 40 years.
ya know, I never understand how guys can do that. I would be worried about the power tubes blowing and taking out the transformer or something. Old power tubes just sound flat to me. I've also heard old preamp tubes, and while I wouldn't be worried about them blowing or anything, they sounded like crap IMO. Must be something about the cleans or blues tones I guess. I know they charge a buttload for vintage NOS, but those are still new tubes. Confuses me, cause I know guys like that too, and it's not like they are beginners, they obviously like that sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The tube in the Valvetronix should last several years before needing to be replaced. A typical preamp tube can last 5-10 years with moderate use. And in this amp, the 12AX7 tube is actually at the input stage of the power amp, and not in the preamp, which is completely digital. The tube serves to 'warm up' the signal as it enters the power amp to simulate what power tubes do.

Yes, a tube makes an amp a little more fragile, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's not like the amp is made of glass or anything. Regular transporting of the amp should cause no problems at all. And before handling a tube, just wash your hands to get rid of excessive oils to prevent creating hotspots that could cause the tube to crack.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Yes, a tube makes an amp a little more fragile, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's not like the amp is made of glass or anything.

Agreed. Think about how much its locked up inside of the amps shell aswell
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
The tube is real fragile especially after it gets warm, If you want to put in another kind of tube you'd need to adjust the bias so you can use the tubes. Tubes last depending on how often you use them and they last longer the more careful you are with transport of the amp. Alot of times people buy an amp from the store and are rough with its transport and break a tube or 2 buy time they get home. So be as careful as you can.
^ bull**** i transport my amp all the time and i have never had a tube break it rides in a truck with horrible shocks and just bumps around and everything and it is fine just as good condition as when i got it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
do NOT touch them with your bare fingers. the oils in you hand will get on the tube and create a hot spot. there for running more risk of a burn out and they wont last as long so just were a glove or something.

Lmao dude...the oils from your fingers causing damage to tubes? I don't think so...

Back in the day tubes were used for everything. And they didn't just sit around in somebodies radio either, they had to be strong, because they were used for everything. Fighter jets anyone? Tubes helped take us to the moon. Tubes aren't wimpy little glass bulbs, they can take quite a beating. Touching them with your fingers is not going to damage them in any way. What a stupid thing to say...what's gonna happen, your deadly skin oils gonna sink through the glass?
Touching tubes might leave a fingerprint on them. Oh noes! n00bs. Seriously, tubes aren't that fragile. Maybe if you dropped the tubes in a boiling vat of lard, you may have a problem. If your fingers aren't dripping with oils though, you should be fine...
Don't go dripping anything conductive on the bottom of the tube though, this can cause arcing, which is bad. Rather rare though, still not much of an issue.
EDIT:
You shouldn't mess with the preamp tube in the Vox. In a tube amp you can change to any tube with the same pinout and similar specs, but I wouldn't recommend it in this case. Solid state and digital is finicky. Changing to a lower gain tube or so will probably just confuse the amp.
And if you change preamp tubes, you do not need to reset bias.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
kl thanks

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
to be fair though pink, the JAN tubes were also built a LOT tougher than standard vacuum tubes. I read somewhere the Phillips JAN 6021 military tubes had to withstand 500G's, and be able to take 5 blows with a hammer in 4 different locations.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$

LOL. What a crock full of shlt. Any difference that would make would be very very negligable to non existant.
Quote by Erock503
to be fair though pink, the JAN tubes were also built a LOT tougher than standard vacuum tubes. I read somewhere the Phillips JAN 6021 military tubes had to withstand 500G's, and be able to take 5 blows with a hammer in 4 different locations.

True, that may not of been the best example, but you get what I'm saying. Just touching the tube isn't gonna do ****, and the tube by design is strong.

I've dropped my tubes multiple times on linoleum, carpet, and bare concrete, they just bounce, lol. No damage whatsoever.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
True, that may not of been the best example, but you get what I'm saying. Just touching the tube isn't gonna do ****, and the tube by design is strong.

I've dropped my tubes multiple times on linoleum, carpet, and bare concrete, they just bounce, lol. No damage whatsoever.

haha, damn. Ok, that's good to know anyway. I've been treating my powertubes like they were a virulent strain of plague or something. I've even been storing them in a peanut filled box, lol.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 25, 2006,
about the oil on your finger it true but mostly on power tubes trust me. my dads been playing since 65 he has change his share of tubes, he knows what he is talking about . i have personaly seen it happen.

http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/sfs50.pdf#search=%22finger%20oils%20%2B%20vacuum%20tubes%22

just one site that backs me up
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni

Last edited by RAGEING_BAD_@$$ at Aug 26, 2006,