I'm looking to get a small tube combo amp for recording with. It doesn't need to be huge, it just has to sound really, really good.

I play a lot of experimental/hardcore stuff. Think of bands like The Mars Volta and At The Drive-In.

Price isn't a huge deal, as I'm not buying it right away, but I'd prefer to not spend over $1000.

Remember, I only want it for recording. Not band practice or playing live, just recording.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
you are going to want something with low wattage most likely, so you can get that cranked tube sound. i dont know of any specific models, but i remember reading about people using amps that are like 5w to record with. the thing i was reading was talking about handwired amps though, so they were mad expensive. the only 5w amp i can think of is the epiphone valve junior, which is pretty cheap and is no frills. im sure you could find something nicer though.
I would probably go with something like a Vox AC15CC.

EDIT: It would still be enough for small gigs, and mic'ed it can do larger gigs. I believe it also has 2 volume controls, volume and master, so you can put down the master and crank the volume for the overdrive. If you want, you could get an overdrive pedal too. Overall, you'd have $400 left to spare in your budget.
like said i x2 the ac vox if u ever want a gig amp and a valve jr head, if u want a cheap but nice vintage sounding strictly recording/ home practice amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'll look into the Valve Junior head, an EQ pedal and probably an overdrive pedal.

Like I said, I just need it for recording. Plus, the Valve Jr.'s sound will be different from the traditional amps most people record with, which will help me get a more unique sound.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll look into all the suggestions, but as of right now the Epi is what I'm most interested in.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
For recording the lower the wattage the better, because you can crank it and get the tubes cooking while still not straining the mic. The Vox 15 watter is good. If you want to wait until November or so, Orange is coming out with this cute little portable head called the Tiny Terror that switches between 7 and 15 watts. Omar from The Mars Volta likes Orange so it may be a good way to reproduce the sound without shelling out $2000 for an AD140 (which I think is the Orange Omar uses).
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
That Fender looks alright...but is it mroe for cleans?

That nano amp is cool, but not really for me.

Also, what would be a good cab for the Epi Valve Jr. head? How about a good (as in, not MG or AVT) Marshall 2x12 or 4x12? That way I could use the cab for gigging once I get a nice Marshall tube head. Would that be good for recording, or would it be overkill for the Epi Valve Junior?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The Epi VJ is a good choice, that little amp sounds AMAZING through a 412.
I'd personally go after a vintage Fender Champ or Princeton. The Champ is a really incredible amp, simply amazing. Great cleans, and if you pump it it sounds amazing for basically everything. And if you mic it well, you can get monstrous guitar sounds out of the single 8" speaker.

An old Princeton reverb might be a better choice if you wanna gig though.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20th Aniversery

One of the best sounding amps Ive ever heard, seriously. 20watts, 12" RockDriver Cream speaker....mmm.
not even out yet. just tossing this out there...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331&src=3SOSWXXA

peavey windsor tube head/cab combo. $399 plus cab cost.

no idea how it sounds cause well no reviews. just keeping u up to date.

and no idea which cab would be premo on the epi as im running my mg as its cab for now.
let me know if u find a good cab, resonably priced.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I'm liking what I'm reading on that Fender Princeton. The old 60s Princeton amps were awesome. I used one briefly years ago (with a distortion pedal) and I always liked it a lot. Even though Fender aren't the sound I want, I would get one of these if I had the cash. If it's even 1/2 as good as the Fender site makes it out to be, it's one hell of an amp...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Orange is gonna release a new all tube head called the Tiny Terror, which is 7/15 watts, so it will be loud enough for smaller gigs and can be used as practise. Also check out a Laney VC-15
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Wait... You have an MG and you are spending $800 on an amp to not use at band practice? Not flaming, just a question.
Quote by Xenn99
I'm looking to get a small tube combo amp for recording with. It doesn't need to be huge, it just has to sound really, really good.

I play a lot of experimental/hardcore stuff. Think of bands like The Mars Volta and At The Drive-In.

Price isn't a huge deal, as I'm not buying it right away, but I'd prefer to not spend over $1000.

Remember, I only want it for recording. Not band practice or playing live, just recording.

Well a small tube amp will be hard to find really.. The only oens I really know of are the Epiphone Juniors and the Ibanez Valbee... It would probably easier to get the tube amp that your happy with and use an attenuator.
I wasnt to impressed with the valve jr combo, good for its price but not impressive atall.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by StuC
I wasnt to impressed with the valve jr combo, good for its price but not impressive atall.

Really? Hmm... Learns something new everyday

I was only really saying that those are the only small tube amps I know of....
For a cab I would probably try out an Avatar 1x12 with a Vintage 30 or something along those lines. If you feel like shelling out for a 2x12 or 4x12 that would be fine too.
Quote by StuC

stuC ur nutty. a hundred bucks and ur having a hard time with that tone? oofA.

for the price of a pedal, it sounds great IMO.
yeah it's susceptible to outside hum. dont use it near a dimmer or a computer. but other than that, nice amp for the money.

Quote by SuperAnalytical
For a cab I would probably try out an Avatar 1x12 with a Vintage 30 or something along those lines. If you feel like shelling out for a 2x12 or 4x12 that would be fine too.

i just started looking at cabs. sounds good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^^ "good for its price but not impressive atall."
It wasnt bad, but I think some people on this site overated it a little. If I was looking for a small practice combo I had heard better for the same price
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
yeah yea, i read ur quote. ur still goofy tho.

the only thing close to it in price is the vox da5. its $40 more and no way near as good imo.

i mean, maybe its where u played it if it was the head, what cab was hooked up to it, if it warmed up, and pedals, stuff like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ I suppose, I played the combo version though. Epi are bunch of n00bs ... they havent released the head & cab version in the UK yet
I guess if we did, I would buy the head and head for the best cab I could find.
Is yours loud enough to gig with?
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
yea mines actually pretty loud. sounds best when cranked, so easily compares to a 30W SS.
i guess with the right cab u could do small gigs, some high school stuff and sound better than most of the MGs on stage wt u.

u know, halfway thru my last post, i thought, "oh, he's prob talking about the combo."

and from what i hear, no one has been impressed by the combo.

StuC u are def not goofy or nutty.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

damn i am soooo horny for a nano!! if only there was a realistic way of getting a clean tone out of it too.
Quote by flogrock
damn i am soooo horny for a nano!! if only there was a realistic way of getting a clean tone out of it too.

you can get a clean out of it, if it's vol is cranked up, you can roll off the guitar vol to clean it up, but if the amp is at 8:00-9:00, it's below any distortion. You really have to max it for the crunchy overdrive. They have some clean samples too.

http://zvexamps.com/ampsound.html
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
do you think the thing fully cranked + a 4x12 could keep up with a band (one can dream) ? im pretty sure id have to buy at least a boost and an eq just to give it different 'channels' but im fine with that if its loud enough. i could buy a genz benz el diablo for that price, so i should probably just go with that but i just cant get over how small the ****in thing is.

damn, and judging by the clips, i think its too vintage-y for some of the heavier stuff i play (porcupine tree/megadeth/dream theater)