I've been looking online and reading about rack mount preamps. Are they worth it? What sort of benefit do they provide for you? Ive got a JCM2000 and a 1960A Cab.
If I was to buy what would I look for?

Thanks
Are they worth it. That's kinda objective. From what I know the preamp is largely about shaping the sound that comes from the power amp section. If the preamp you are considering gives you that sound go for it.
Oh by the way, how happy are you with your Marshal? I'm looking at the DSL100 myself.
the benefit is, you can use several preamps in the same rack, so you can really have a ton of versatility if you wanted. Match a couple quality preamps like the Marshall JMP1 and a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, with a good poweramp like a Mesa Boogie simulclass or 2:90, and you will have tons of kickass "all tube" tones.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Erock503 is right, a JMP preamp with a Marshall 100/100 poweramp or a Mesa Triaxis with a 2:90 can give you a large variety of great sounds, but preamps are meant to be used with poweramps. You probably don't want to be using a rack-mount preamp with a JCM2000, as it already has it's own preamp section. If you want to juice up the existing tone of your amp you'd be better off with an overdrive pedal and maybe an EQ pedal.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
You can also use your head as a power amp but running through its effects loop and bypassing its pre-amp stage. I've heard of some people doing that with Marshall heads and getting great tones.
Not sure what the new JMP1's are like but my friend had one when they first came out and he was well disappointed, know where near as good as my MP1. I suspect his valvestate power amp did'nt help though.
You must remember when putting this gear together that a preamp is just part of the setup, a good power amp is a must.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by rockers73
You can also use your head as a power amp but running through its effects loop and bypassing its pre-amp stage. I've heard of some people doing that with Marshall heads and getting great tones.
Not sure what the new JMP1's are like but my friend had one when they first came out and he was well disappointed, know where near as good as my MP1. I suspect his valvestate power amp did'nt help though.
You must remember when putting this gear together that a preamp is just part of the setup, a good power amp is a must.

Quite right on all accounts, sir! The only other way you can run a preamp into a conventional guitar amp (without going in through the FX-loop) is if that amp has a ton of clean headroom, like an old Ampeg V4 or VT-22 (I use a Line6 pre into a VT-22 with outstanding results) or certain Fender's or old Sunn's.

Also, if you look into getting a Mesa poweramp, try to get a Mesa preamp, some of the Mesa poweramps don't sound so hot when not powering them with Mesa pre's.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Aug 25, 2006,
Mesa pre-amps are great but hideously expensive.
If think my ADA sounds great through my MesaBoogie 50/50 Power Amp
and you can get them for silly money compared to how good they sound.

Check this guys rig out, bloody complicated but he's obviously put some thought into his tone.

http://users.tpg.com.au/nk2000/LiveRig.htm
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
hey Rocker 73 very nice set up man you got any sound clips
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
The link in my post isn't my setup Syn.
Mines not as complicated as that!!
Its some aussie guy who's a member of www.adadepot.com.
I'll see if I can find anything, he used to have a clip of his tone on his website.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab