Was wondering does raising or lowering the action have an affect on how the guitar sounds?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Squire Stratocaster
Roland Cube 30
yep.

higher action and notes will ring out longer.
lower action, faster runs, but there's a chance, notes will choke short or that ull get fret buzz.

also if u raise the action and dont adjust the pickup height, then they might be far apart lowering volume.
wt lower action pickups might be too close and muddy or just close enough for extra bite.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ah, that might explain my muddy sound. I have a Epiphone LP with SD Alnico II's and for some reason I thought the pickups sounded quite muddy.
Squire Stratocaster
Roland Cube 30
lol Yes I do :P
Squire Stratocaster
Roland Cube 30
OK. Sounds much better. Still not as clean as I'd like without gain. Thanks guys
Squire Stratocaster
Roland Cube 30
Yea, have your strings at .015 to .070, and set your action to 1.5 cm off the 12th fret.

Rawr.
There's a fair bit of argument about the tonal benefits of high action, but the theory that they improve sustain is pretty sound, and they definitely reduce/eliminate fret buzz, which is especially handy if you don't so much play your strings as attack them madly.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
There's a fair bit of argument about the tonal benefits of high action, but the theory that they improve sustain is pretty sound, and they definitely reduce/eliminate fret buzz, which is especially handy if you don't so much play your strings as attack them madly.

I can actually break a .070 with a pick with my picking skillz.

Now I should try breaking bass strings, raaaa.

Yea, I play guitarrape-core.