Very noob question, but what is the purpose of a whammy bar (what does it do?)?
the whammy bar raises or lowers be pitch by increasing/decreasing the tension of the strings. artists such as EVH, Dime, and many others used the whammy extensively.

Edit: Listen to the last minute or so of 'Cemetery Gates' - Pantera and all of the high wails that Dime does on the guitar is from yanking his Floyd Rose bar ALL the way up
Quote by Ghost_bass
did anyone see the new cheerios that have been put out? the're fruity flavored. so basicly its a ripoff of fruitloops.

Quote by Twist of fate
No they're gay cheerios
Last edited by fadetoblackjc at Aug 24, 2006,
Quote by Cone 21
Well here are a few things you can do with it... http://youtube.com/watch?v=qtUiQJc7ZMI&search=Herman%20li

Wow, that video was isane.

But yeah, thats just a few of the things you can do with a whammy.
Here's another good one (a little more basic: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-mCQA7XkWtc )

-- Mike
-- I keep on movin' along with no time to plant my feet.
Last edited by PIKE POUNDER at Aug 25, 2006,
Yes, awesome...but won't a whammy bar cause your guitar to beome out of tune much faster? I always find my guitar out of tune. I think its because of my obsession with the whamming of the Whammy.
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Quote by foxthor_rider2k
Yes, awesome...but won't a whammy bar cause your guitar to beome out of tune much faster? I always find my guitar out of tune. I think its because of my obsession with the whamming of the Whammy.

Whamming? Just make sure you're all lubed up and in comfortable clothing when you wham away. And have some tissues rea--OH WHAMMY BAR!

Well then.
But yea, whammy bars make the pitch of the guitar go up or down. And if you're Herman Li, they also make car noises.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by foxthor_rider2k

in theory yes but with Floyd Rose Bridges (good ones not those crappy models) and Kahlers lock at the nut/behind the nut and stop the stringing from stretching so therefore you wont be able to go out
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Whamming? Just make sure you're all lubed up and in comfortable clothing when you wham away. And have some tissues rea--OH WHAMMY BAR!

Well then.
But yea, whammy bars make the pitch of the guitar go up or down. And if you're Herman Li, they also make car noises.

LMAO! That was awesome! I give you props for that. I didn't know if whamming is what YOU call it, but thats what I call it...
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50