hi there i am a bass player in a punk rock band but for the past 6 months i have been learning the guitar outside of my band. i've been playing bass for over 2.5 years and am really good but with my guitar playing i can't quite get to the next level. i'm stuck on like power chords. anytime i try and learn something a little harder, like the more advanced chilli peppers songs, i get stuck and cannot do it. any advice on how to get over this hump/lull in my learning
I had the same problem at first... how good are you at guitar right now?(can you play easy punk rock stuff like greenday?)

i think you should practice basic major and minor chords, and keep playing the pentatonic scale, and do regular finger exercizes

scale(example): go up and down

----------------------------5-8-
----------------------5-8-------
----------------5-7-------------
-----------5-7------------------
-----5-7------------------------
5-8-----------------------------

finger exercize: also go up and down

----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----
-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------
-------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------
1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by Drmckool
hi there i am a bass player in a punk rock band but for the past 6 months i have been learning the guitar outside of my band. i've been playing bass for over 2.5 years and am really good but with my guitar playing i can't quite get to the next level. i'm stuck on like power chords. anytime i try and learn something a little harder, like the more advanced chilli peppers songs, i get stuck and cannot do it. any advice on how to get over this hump/lull in my learning

List of things to do
-------------------------
1.Get a Music Theory book like "Theory & Harmony for the Contemporary Musician" by Arenie Berle. Learn everything in that book. Read it, go over it, do the exercises.

2.Learn your Amaj, Cmajor, Dmajor, Emajor, Fmajor, and Gmajor chords. Nail them down. Be able to switch from each one to the other comfortably. Notice I LEFT OUT B MAJOR.

3.Now learn how to play Aminor, Cminor, Eminor, and F minor chords.

4.Memorize the bottom two strings if you haven't already (E and A)

4.Learn how to play E Shape Barre chords. Be able to play all minor and major chords with E shape Barre Chords

5.Learn how to play A Shape Barre chords. Be able to play all minor and major chords with A shape Barre Chords.

6.Learn to play a one octave major scale and be able to play it on any fret with the root on either the A or E string

7.Then learn how to play a two octave minor pentatonic scale on any fret on the e string.

Is there anything specific you need to work on, like alternate picking, legato, upstrokes, etc?
obviously i sold myself short. first of i hate greenday. second i can play stuff like that with my eyes closed. i know the minor penatonic, major penatonic, minor scale, and the major scale. i know quite a few of the basic chord as well (Amaj, Am, Emaj, Em, Em7,Cmaj, Dmaj,Dmin, Fmaj, Fmaj7, Etc.) in addition to that i know major and mnor barre chords as well as the major 7th barre chords. the hardest thing i can play at full speed is the solo to "dani california". i can play anything punk pretty much, it's just i can't really play harder stuff and i don't know why. the most recent songs i learnt were (chop suey, before i forget, aerials, solo to dani california and redemption song). right now i'm working on shredding but i just feel like i'm stuck at this level. basicly i want to be better tha nthe 2 guitarists in my band which have both been playing for 3 years and refuse to learn "why a guitar works like it does" therefore only know power chords, some chords and anything in a Queens of the stone ago song
Last edited by Drmckool at Aug 25, 2006,