Poll: How similar does a Carvin Strat copy sound to a real Fender American Strat?
Poll Options
View poll results: How similar does a Carvin Strat copy sound to a real Fender American Strat?
exact same
0 0%
very similar
4 17%
kinda similar
12 52%
not at all the same
7 30%
Voters: 23.
The main difference in tone (providing you get a Carvin in ash or alder) will be the pickups. Stock Carvin pickups sound good, vintage style, but not exactly like the Fender. Of course, you could always swap pickups if you wish. IMHO the Carvin will have better assembly and finish, it's practically a custom guitar.

In short, they will sound similar but not exactly alike.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I think the carvin would sound a bit better, and its more custom so you'll like it better stock. Also the action, fit, and finish and all that will be better.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Can you define what you mean by 'better'? I love the vintage strat sound but the features and affordability of a Carvin are huge bonuses.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
More comfertabel, more playable, more definded to what you like and not what is mainstream and sellable. Sorry my spelling is really bad tonight, I've been on the road for seven hours.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Strats are good, but carvin is superior in there craftsmenship.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
The better choice is Carvin, obviously. Why pay more for the Fender American when you can get the Carvin customized for less?
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
As far as sound, the amp matters more for the vintage tone, in my opinion. It's the same or similar wood and if you're really concerned about the pick-ups then swap them. But the Carvin will be built better and will look better.
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
My amp is a Fender Blues Jr, do you think I'd be able to get a vintage strat sound with the Carvin? I'm aware that the craftsmanship is higher quality but I want a similar sound without having to change the pickups.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
The Carvin will be just fine for what you're asking. You'll come to appreciate the fit and finish, how well it plays, and it's quality overall. If there comes a time when you want to swap out pickups (to something like Fralins or Lace) it's easy and the guitar will still be a great guitar.
So If I were to play, say, Little Wing on the Carvin strat with the stock Carvin pickups then you think it would sound closer to the original than my Les Paul?

Check out my recordings
Yea it will, I have basically the same set up as you, I bought a MIM standard and changed all the electronics from www.acmeguitarworks.com, with new Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, and new pots, very vintage tone. Buy the 62' MIM reissue strat and put a harness filled with Fralin Vintage Hots.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by Viruk
So If I were to play, say, Little Wing on the Carvin strat with the stock Carvin pickups then you think it would sound closer to the original than my Les Paul?

^^^For sure.

While the Fralins are excellent pickups, spendy. And the mexican strats have a wide array of quality control, be sure to play one before you buy it.
If you want something to sound like a Real Fender buy a real Fender, or get a stock 62' reissue.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Yea it will
I don't understand. You say the Carvin strat will but then go on to tell me about your fender?

If you want something to sound like a Real Fender buy a real Fender, or get a stock 62' reissue.

I'd far rather get a Carvin, as the only thing I'm worried about is the sound. Everything else I'm sure would be better quality. From the sound of what people have been saying, it should be fine for the strat sound I want... although the poll shows otherwise.

Check out my recordings