hi i just got a tube amp and there are two switches used to turn the amp on and off a standby switch and a power switch. i need to know the best way to turn it on and off and what position the amp should be in when not being used and when being played.

thank you
Turn on the standby and leave it for a minute, then switch it on. When you turn it off just turn both switches off.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
turn standby on, then turn the mains on, then wait for the tubes to heat up and turn off the standby. reverse this when turning off the amp.
Turn on the standby and leave it for a minute, then switch it on.

then wait for the tubes to heat up and turn off the standby. reverse this when turning off the amp.

Ugh, im sick of people thinking you have to leave it on for an entire minute before you play, or thinking that you have to put it on standby to somehow cool down the tubes before turning it off. The truth is, you only have to leave the amp on standby for maybe 10-15 secs tops, and if standby is for heating up the tubes before you play, what makes you possibly think that it will somehow do the opposite when you are turning it off, like the amp knows what you are thinking.
depends on the how the switch is labeled, but it should always be in standby before you apply full power to the tubes. Standy powers the heater filaments before there is full power running thru the tubes. This is done to heat the tubes to operating temp and prolong the life of the tubes. It doesn't matter how you turn it off, but I usually put it in standby just so it's there when I turn it back on.

Quote by Brainwash
Ugh, im sick of people thinking you have to leave it on for an entire minute before you play

alot of owner manuals will tell you to keep it in standby for a minute or two, so it's not surprising people assume this.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 25, 2006,
turn the play/standby switch to standby and then turn it of, allow time for tubes to warm while the standby switch is on standby after you turn it on.
Quote by Brainwash
Ugh, im sick of people thinking you have to leave it on for an entire minute before you play, or thinking that you have to put it on standby to somehow cool down the tubes before turning it off. The truth is, you only have to leave the amp on standby for maybe 10-15 secs tops, and if standby is for heating up the tubes before you play, what makes you possibly think that it will somehow do the opposite when you are turning it off, like the amp knows what you are thinking.

i was using the phrase "a minute" just to say a few seconds, not like you had to stand there and count to sixty. and i don't think it will do the opposite when you turn it off, i simply do it so it's in the right position the next time i turn it on.
Quote by IlIk2plygUItAr
Wow my tube amp doesnt even have a standby switch, so I have to turn it on with the volume at 0.

No you don't. Go ahead and leave the volume up, won't hurt anything.

The standby switch was first built to allow you to turn off the amp for a short period of time without waiting for the tube heaters to warm up when you want to play. A standby isn't necessary at all though, and just turning down the volume doesn't at all replace the use of a standby switch. Turning down the volume turns down the guitar volume. The standby switch shuts off all the current to the tubes except for the current. While it may be true that the standby switch makes the tubes last longer, your tubes will start sounding gross before they *have* to be replaced. So if you don't have a standby, don't worry about it, and if you do, don't get to high on it.

And when you turn off the amp, it's better to turn the power straight off, there's no reason to use the standby switch. Flip it off, and the amp turns off, then flip standby. Doing this allows the amp to drain current once you're done.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
whatever you feel comfortable with haha
i like to take extra precautions with my hot rod.
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow