ok, so i'm wanting to build a tele as my next guitar. at the moment i don't have the money (lack of job) but i'm doing some planning as far as expense goes. so my questions are this:
-What is the best type of bridge? Should I go standard Tele bridge?
-What pickups would be best for blues/rock guitar playing?
-What are the best tuning pegs/system?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

-Nooey
Quote by Zeppelin08
Yea I feel the same way too, I try to be good because I burn very easly so I wouldn't last long in Hell, unless they have sunblock there.

Quote by excalibur672
You're more desprate than a man paying for a hooker on credit.
Quote by Guitar0player
Use the original Tele bridge and pickups.
About the tuning pegs,how about Fender?

so the original pickups would work well for a rock/bluesy sound? what about some hot rails or something?
Quote by Zeppelin08
Yea I feel the same way too, I try to be good because I burn very easly so I wouldn't last long in Hell, unless they have sunblock there.

Quote by excalibur672
z0mg anuthr orgonain! lol omg!1

If you're building a Tele, IMO you should stick with standard Tele pickups. If you use different style pickups, it kind of loses it's Tele-ness.

I like the Tele pickups too, the neck is really mellow, and the bridge has a nice twang. They offset each other nicely.

I'd stick to a Tele bridge too, or maybe a Bigsby.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
You should go with normal Tele pickups, or if you want something more hotter than a standard telecaster pickup but still want to retain that blues and have a good rock sound; check out the Fender Nocaster pickups.

By tuning pegs, do you mean machineheads? The ones I have on my Telecaster are stock Gotoh ones, but I think Planet Waves do locking tuners that are supposed to be good; I haven't actually tried them out myself.

If you don't mind not having a whammy bar, go for the standard bridge. Although, as That_Pink_Queen suggested, a Bigsby would be quite nice. In fact, I know a friend that has a Bigsby on his and it is quite nice!

Hope my post helps.
just get standard gear exept for the tuning pegs make those locking igf you can that way you'll have good tunings stability
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
z0mg anuthr orgonain! lol omg!1

If you're building a Tele, IMO you should stick with standard Tele pickups. If you use different style pickups, it kind of loses it's Tele-ness.

I like the Tele pickups too, the neck is really mellow, and the bridge has a nice twang. They offset each other nicely.

I'd stick to a Tele bridge too, or maybe a Bigsby.

Do a thinline 72 (with the humbuckers) and a Bigsby! .... My dream guitar....
Fender sells systems of Telecaster pickups for about $100. They did create the Telecaster after all, so I would go with those. Thats what I'm going to put on my Tele, once I get the money.

I suggest Grover locking tuners. They stay in tune very well, so you won't have to tune your guitar often.

Standard Tele bridge. All the way.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
If you're going for a standard Tele bridge I would go for the one with six saddles rather than the one with just three, as I've heard they can be hard to intonate properly.
thanks for all the help guys. i've roughly calculated how much it'll all cost, and it's around $530...now, my question is, should i just buy a standard telecaster, or build? which would be more worth it? money wise i mean...

EDIT: anyone?

thanks
-Nooey
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
Last edited by Nooeygirl at Aug 27, 2006,
i know i shouldn't double post, but bump...i need advice on this
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
well im thinking of buying a tele and modding it too...
building a guitar seems kidna tiring and may even be more expensive so i wouldnt try that...(when you run out of screws and stuff it gets annoying) so if i were you, I would mod a standard tele, or a squier "affinity" tele(it sounded nice at the store. plus its alder body)

squier mod page i found:
http://www.frettech.com/mod.html

for the bridge, get a standard... also gotoh SG38 pegs seem nice.(i think it fits MEX and squier tele necks)

and fender pickups should be good. the noiseless seems nice(theyre less than $100 in pairs, and probably good)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-STHR1-Tele-Hot-Rails-Pickup-Black?sku=300367
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Set?sku=301635
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-Texas-Special-Tele-Pickups?sku=301620

i played the texas special pickups at a store too, which was on a japanese tele. personally i didnt like it that much , but i think it suits blues/rock well.
also note: single-size humbuckers are NOT the same as other humbuckers.(or thats what i heard) they are noiseless and are humbucker-like, but they have about 30-50% less output(at least that's wat the specs say)

also you should consider this site too. i dont live in UK or america so i cant buy stuff from them, but i heard good reviews on harmony central and on UG. if you're modding a squier or a standard tele, getting the best parts may not be the best...(especially the pickups, 50-80$ for each one seems too pricey for me)

^sry for such a long reply
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Last edited by zoltan256 at Aug 28, 2006,
If your willing to spend that much why not buy a tele, go on ebay for a fender neck (its usually about 100$ by the time the auction is over with most of them maybe more) or just sand the squire one and write what you want or leave it blank. Heck, if you think your gonna do a really good job (get good pickups/hardware) leave the squire neck on then find someone with a fender tele and put them to shame! I've always been partial to humbuckers so I think you should consider a Humbucker in the neck. I played my friends '72 (standard, it was his dads. It is actually a '72) and I liked the bridge pickup but the neck sounded a little plain (well, it is a single coil). But its your choice.
Why dont you you just get a used mim tele? they would only be around $300 im geussing.
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
I like that mod site that Zolitan posted. I always thought that tele's should have contors. They seem a little blockish to me.
thanks for all the input guys...i'll consider it all, and decide which option i like better...

-Nooey
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
I'd use eBay parts!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
ok, first of all i would say definitely build your own if you have the skills. i have already built one tele and im in the process of building another one. (by the way live rockdie, my teles have contours) as for parts, thats all up to you, it will depend on what styles you plan on palyign with this insturment. my tele has a fat tele bridge and gotoh tuners, with a a sey,our duncan pearly gates in the bridge, a gold lace sensor in the middle, and i think a duncan tele stack in the neck, but im thinking about replacing it with a fender texas special or something. feel free to ask me any specific questions you have.

and i second the ebay parts idea. im building a strat with all ebay parts as we speak.
So do you have anything interesting to play?
Last edited by Eclectia at Aug 28, 2006,
A lot of people buy mid-price guitars and then replace tuners, pickups etc with better quality parts, but unless you manage to sell or otherwise re-use the parts you're replacing, you will have wasted money on the original parts, so I would go for it, especially if you're going to take the trouble to do proper shielding etc. The only negatives I can think of are the fact that it might be hard to sell if you ever need to, plus I've heard that you tend not to get such a good fit on the neck pocket when build a guitar from parts like that.
Well, I'm looking at doing a Tele too. I have all the parts worked out, and my pricing is about the same as yours. I'm Aussie, so I don't know how that works out...
Here's a few designs of what I'm looking at doing. I have never liked Tele pickups, I don't think they give you enough versatility. I'm sticking with string thru or a non-trem bridge.

"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."