how the hell does one play cool metal guitar. any sites or books i could check out to tell me how to get started and what's that thing that all metal guitarists do, tapping harmonics i think there called, how do you do that. i'm not an incompident guitar player i just have no clue how to play/write good metal.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
tune your guitar to drop A and then hump your amp with it!

edit: just learn some metal songs you like, then improvise and make some tunes, the problem with that though, would be that youd make songs that sound like the ones you're coming from.... which most music does anyway, but w/e just keep going up the steps in guitar learning, one... or a few of them are metal

and "harmonic tapping" i think is in one of pick&grins lessons on harmonics, its tapping at the 12th fret, down the strings, while holding a chord, if i remember correctly. for some more common tapping, look into some arpegios (sp?iduncare)
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Last edited by Shooshooky at Aug 25, 2006,
idiot.

metal guitar involves a fair amount of using modes, which means don't be afraid to step outside the scale boxes. learning (and perfecting) techniques such as palm muting, pinch harmonics and sweep picking are also quite handy.

and never forget the distortion.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
You have to be "kvlt" first.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
you dont learnd metal from books. you learn it from the bands, get inspired by some riffs. listen to metal bands that you like, learn there songs, study what they do, come up with your own stuff thats inspired by the metal you like. listen to stuff like iron maiden, judas priest, pantera, slayer, metallica, just to name obvious ones.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16
full baked i love how ur sig says R.I.P metallica lol.

it depens on what kind of sound you want...

if you want an evil deathmetal vibe: chromatics, lots of palm muting and down tuned guitars. play really fast too. influences usually include early blackmetal,thrash,and hardcore punk/grindcore. ps. turn the distortion as high as you can (if your amp goes to eleven, you're set!)

if you like powermetal: using minor,major, melodic minor and stuff with your riffs and even pentatonic sounds great. do lots of leads (alot of the time they are harmonized with thirds or fifths) over epic sounding chord progessions. don't be afraid, especially for intros, to go clean (and wear spandex!). influences (i guess) are early british heavy metal bands and ?video games? if you're dragonforce.

thrash: sometimes alot like powermetal but alot more palm muting. songs are are "thrashing" fast ones or, headbanging midtempos, with some slower breakdowns. mess around with palm muting on the bottom e-string and throw in some pentatonic,minor or even major notes. influences usually are oldschool punk, ealy british heavy metal bands, classic rock and other thrash bands

these aren't "rules" by any means, it's just some observations of common themes in some of the major genres. but remember creativity and inovation/exploring different sounds will make the music special. (ei rediculously cool bands like death, and tool)
Do it trivium style:

Play powerchords and scream like a retard.

j/k

Lots of power chords, and random riffs composed in modes.
1st technique would be to learn to chug...oh yea, chugga chugga! muhaha
listen to some anthrax, tallica, slayer, priest. um... just riffing about and even something simple such as chugging your open E string will get you goin. when ya feel comfortable with the tempo, start adding notes, and come up with some metal riffs.
not that hard, but to come up with good ones, can be! :P
after that, delve into other techniques, tapping, sweeping, pinching etc. perhaps even then use of minor, harmonic minor, phrygian, and locrian.
Quote by Drmckool
how the hell does one play cool metal guitar. any sites or books i could check out to tell me how to get started and what's that thing that all metal guitarists do, tapping harmonics i think there called, how do you do that. i'm not an incompident guitar player i just have no clue how to play/write good metal.

Just turn up your distortion a bit, you don't need to drop your tuning either (Look at Metallica) to be metal. Just listen to some metal albums and try get a feel for your guitar, just play along to songs too. Eventually after you feel you've got the feeling, just rape your strings for a while, until you feel you're ready to try and go into the metal zone.

A good example of just screwing around on guitar is Metallica's Creeping Death.

e|---------------------------
B|---------------------------
G|--------------------------
D|-----2----2--------------
A|-----2----2-----2h3p2p0-
E|-0-0--0-0--0-0-----------

This little intro/riff here is a good example of just wanking and playing random stuff. You should get the feel for metal after a few trys. Just keep playing dude.
the type of metal bands i like are Mudvayne, Slipknot, System of A Down, Children of bodom, possibly stone sour if you count them as metal. but it's a new style i want to learn becasue i'm really not inbto that much metal. the only metal i listen to are those bands i've listed. i'm comming from a Punk Rock/Hard-rock/funk prespective. so i'm a bit out of my element. any time i try and play something metal it sounds punk
I shot JR

Try and set your amp to max bass, treble and gain. Cut the midrange. It'll sound metal instantly .
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
A good way to learn is to take metal bands you like, and learn their songs. If they are actually metal bands, you will probably learn a lot about metla just by playing their songs and following their examples.

My recommendation would be to learn some Metallica. Stuff off of their first four albums are what I started learnin' off of.
^ hit the nail on the head, everyone wants an original metal sound and thats fair enough, but to really learn how to play metal you need to know (at least starting off) how the people you like play metal, i started off on metallica as well as some megadeth, went on to pantera, coal chamber and bunches of others (including tool)
I wrote a little riff once; showed it to my guitar teacher, and he said 'that would make a great metal tune' and broke out into a heavy powerchords and such while playing the riff. Sounded like Megadeth.

Problem is, I wrote the riff in the style of Willie Nelson.

Moral of the story: it's a style you learn, not a technique. It's like playing Blues...certain scales/modes and such are going to help you make it sound like blues, but until you feel it, it's not blues. It's all about attitude.
Listen to early Black Sabbath. It's simple, but it's good metal...that can give you an idea to start off with.
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
depends what subgenre of metal you're talking for metal, but usually it's made up of tons of palm-muted power chords, lots of scales using pretty much all the modes and fast solos.

and...
Distortion

and start with metallica and Black Sabbath.
so learning stuff like. "Before i forget""chop Suey""aerials""master of puppets"and "seek and destroy" would be good right
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
so learning stuff like. "Before i forget""chop Suey""aerials""master of puppets"and "seek and destroy" would be good right

Well, most UGers that know metal wouldn't count anything by Slipknot or SOAD as metal, but that's besides the point.

Just listen to the bands whose style you would like to play, and try to get a feel of what they're doing. Learn your scale modes, and try to come up with stuff. If you need some more metal stuff to listen to (which, by the looks of it, you definetly do), check the UG Metal Recommendation Thread in the metal forum; personally, I would recommend getting into In Flames, Testament, Nevermore, Pantera, The Haunted, Kalmah, and Kreator.

(BTW, read the list of banned bands in the metal forum before starting threads. If a band is listed there, they aren't metal, and you'll be crucified by the regulars for starting threads on them.)
Quote by Scourge441
Well, most UGers that know metal wouldn't count anything by Slipknot or SOAD as metal, but that's besides the point.

Just listen to the bands whose style you would like to play, and try to get a feel of what they're doing. Learn your scale modes, and try to come up with stuff. If you need some more metal stuff to listen to (which, by the looks of it, you definetly do), check the UG Metal Recommendation Thread in the metal forum; personally, I would recommend getting into In Flames, Testament, Nevermore, Pantera, The Haunted, Kalmah, and Kreator.

(BTW, read the list of banned bands in the metal forum before starting threads. If a band is listed there, they aren't metal, and you'll be crucified by the regulars for starting threads on them.)

Yes, there are people who posted Trivium, static x etc in the metal forum, they got flamed really badly and then got raped by the cows.

TOo bad you have to put it in hardcore, even if it's grindcore, sexcore, rapecore, metalcore, that's how life works, even if you have a penis, you might have to be put in the female section.
Quote by Drmckool
the type of metal bands i like are Mudvayne, Slipknot, System of A Down, Children of bodom, possibly stone sour if you count them as metal. but it's a new style i want to learn becasue i'm really not inbto that much metal. the only metal i listen to are those bands i've listed. i'm comming from a Punk Rock/Hard-rock/funk prespective. so i'm a bit out of my element. any time i try and play something metal it sounds punk

Well, if it sounds like punk, it doesn't matter man. Play your strengths. Even if you don't listen to punk.
fixed (at least I think so). Everything is 8th notes except for the final 2-3-2-0 hammeron/pulloff is 16ths.
Quote by Machanix

A good example of just screwing around on guitar is Metallica's Creeping Death.

e|--------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------------------
D|-----2-----2---2----2-----------------------
A|-----2-----2---2----2---2-3-2h3p2p0------
E|-0-0---0-0---0--0-0---0-------------------

Loud. Fast. Heavy.....really heavy. ...and don't forget solos...lots. peace.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!