hey i am a left hander playing a right handed guitar. i wanted to play right handed so i could just pick up any guitar and play it (eg. when at friends houses n stuff like that). i have been playing for 2 months and im ok, but my right hand is a but sloppy when picking one string at a time. how can i improve my right hand? thanks.
Practice, my friend.
Quote by Kartman

Way to go, guitar_man_guy!

(You should sig me)

Co-Founder of the 'Heretics And/Or Killers'(Protest the Hero Fan Club) P.M Me or T0xicitY to join!
play lefty i do hendrix did leftys rule!
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
It shouldnt really be much different if you've never played right handed and if youve only played 2 months most things will be a bit sloppy. Just practise
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
hendrix played a right handed guitar flipped upside down with the strings rearranged didn't he?
Quote by -ty-
hendrix played a right handed guitar flipped upside down with the strings rearranged didn't he?

actually, I believe he just played a right handed guitar upside down, and played all chords in his own fashion. (One of the things that made him so great)

But, i'm a lefty and I had the same thought when I started playing guitar ten years ago. It was VERY difficult to get used to picking at first but you just have to repeatedly practice and it will come in time. I've actually tried to play a left handed guitar nowadays and its practically impossible for me, so I think its better to learn to play right handed.
nah, hendrix played his strings the normal way (high e closest to the ground) but he did play an uside down RH strat. (thats if you were implying that he played the strings backwards ie: high e facing the sky
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
dude
herman li of dragonforce is lefthanded
when he was young, he couldnt aford a lefty guitar and just practiced w/ a righty guitar and look at him now
maybe u wanna turn ur guitar upside down like hendrix..lol nah practice my friend and ull get it i mean the whole left handed right handed thing is subjective..u were taught to use ur left hand to write much like hendrix...it coulda went the otherway u kno?
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Practice picking with as little movement as possible. Keep your elbow anchored and rest the bottom of your palm on the bridge if needed. Your playing will always be sloppy if you're just swinging your arm at the strings.
I'm a lefty and play lefty

But I know three left-handed people that play right handed

Just do what feels normal, and practise practise practise
I've always wondered about this subject myself a bit.. I am left handed..But I play right handed on the guitar.. Just the way I picked it up and started learning.. I actually think it may be more of a advantage then a dissadvantage.. Using your left hand to fret, when your left handed.. I don't know.. But I think it is working out alright for me so far...
I agree I am right handed and wish i would have thought of this before i started playing i would play left handed. Being right handed my strenght and cordination in my right hand is much greater so why not use that to fret and left to pluck

picking is only six strings the fret combinations are unlimited

Just my thought
I'm left handed and play a right handed guitar, it really just made it easier for me I think because I was able to play with speed and accuracy a bit more easily because my left hand is my fretting hand, just keep practicing youll be a little sloppy when you first start playing no matter what.
Do what u gotta do
Listening to me play the guitar, is the equivalent pleasure to 20 orgasms

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member #20 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club, pm revelations to join
Quote by headface
I agree I am right handed and wish i would have thought of this before i started playing i would play left handed. Being right handed my strenght and cordination in my right hand is much greater so why not use that to fret and left to pluck

picking is only six strings the fret combinations are unlimited

Just my thought

Because your dominant hand is much easier to train to rhythm.

Also, for alternate picking, fingerpicking, selective strumming, that kind of thing, it's easier to train the dominant hand to do so.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
Because your dominant hand is much easier to train to rhythm.

Also, for alternate picking, fingerpicking, selective strumming, that kind of thing, it's easier to train the dominant hand to do so.

This is a very very good point. I've met a lot of lefties who play right, and pretty much all of them are fairly sloppy when it comes to thing's that you just mentioned.

If you're a lefty you're better off just playing left, sure you can get good at playing right, but it will almost always take longer, and it's very likely that you'll never live up to full potential.

Of course lefty guitars are a bitch to find, but there are actually plenty of good ones out there.

Plus, you'll never ever have people other than you play your guitar, which is a nice bonus, especially if you have nice guitars which you don't want some jackass wrecking
I play right handed, even though I'm left handed. Practice will get you better. I can now hybrid pick very well, and I started out barely being able to strum the C chord. With practice you will get better.

Good luck, man.
yeah here's another lefty playing right handed
i noticed when i was more of a noob that i was having alot of problem strumming too, but just practice and you'll get it down
i felt much more comfortable making chords and stuff with my left hand then my strumming, but that's evened out over time
I was the same to, got on ok but had to change cause as I got better I found it harder to play.
I'm a lefty, play lefty. I did consider playing right handed (purely for the choice of guitars) but I found that I could easily pick and strum with my left hand without having to look whilst with my right I could kept missing strings even when I was watching what I was doing. You should always do what you feel most comfortable with, you'll learn faster and enjoy it more.

......Besides, I like the fact my mates can't just stroll into my house, pick up my guitar and show me up :p
I'm left-handed, but I play a normal, right-handed guitar. To me, I have better control over my left-hand for fretting, and my right-hand is better for picking. I guess it's different for everyone, but to me, it's more comfortable and natural this way.
I guess it's different for each lefty-player. Just do what feels natural for you, but keep practicing. With more practice, you'll get better.