So, I currently have a problem with my guitar where it hums and buzzes. When I touch a metal part it doesn't stop the buzz completely, just lowers it in volume. At first I thought it was a grounding problem, but other sources have told me its actually a shielding problem.

But I can't help but think there's a wire missing somewhere inside. Here's something I drew in Photoshop (yes, I was bored this afternoon ).

http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wiringdiagramgk5.png

So, is it wired up (and grounded) correctly? Thanks.
yeh everything is wired up. what guitar is this on? is there any other electrical appliances on around you?
You might try switching the wires from the switch and the pickup on the volume pot.
And I'd PM a moderator of this forum to move it to the GB+C, people over there can help you better.

Looks like it should work though.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Nothing missing from what I can see. What you need to do is replace your pots with good quality ones and make sure that all the solder joints are good. If your pickups are single coil, try investing in some noiseless models. Sure they might be expensive, but they are worth it if you hate the buzz. If your pickups are humbuckers, you might want to try star grounding. Google it, there's a heap of sites out there with information
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yeh everything is wired up. what guitar is this on? is there any other electrical appliances on around you?

It's on my Les Paul. There's a TV nearby, although I've walked out of the room (with the guitar) away from any electrical appliances and could still hear the buzz coming out of amp. If it's a shielding issue, it could be something in the walls too I suppose.

Quote by the_random_hero
Nothing missing from what I can see. What you need to do is replace your pots with good quality ones and make sure that all the solder joints are good. If your pickups are single coil, try investing in some noiseless models. Sure they might be expensive, but they are worth it if you hate the buzz. If your pickups are humbuckers, you might want to try star grounding. Google it, there's a heap of sites out there with information

I've ordered some new CTS pots from eBay, so I'll rewire it with them when they arrive.

They're humbuckers. Isn't star grounding just where all the ground wires are connected to a single point and then connected to the main ground. In this case, all the grounds lead to the switch and then from the switch to the output jack, no?
Quote by Insolent
They're humbuckers. Isn't star grounding just where all the ground wires are connected to a single point and then connected to the main ground. In this case, all the grounds lead to the switch and then from the switch to the output jack, no?

Kind of. Normally, the control cavity is first shielded with aluminium foil, copper tape or shielding paint. A screw is put into the side of the cavity, creating a new place to earth at. All the ground wires are connected to this screw, and a wire is connected to the back of a volume pot, and then to the switch.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."