Hey everyone. Im considering buying a MIM fender standard strat, but i was wondering if you can get good lead sounds out of single coils.

thx
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
i use a fat strat and with low action yes i can solo with it and yes you can hit pinch harmonics with it. about the pickups bridge always and i find thats where they are crap and where fender saves money by using some generic pickups
fenders where the original guitars for soloing anyways so i don't think you'll have any problems, obviously the shred guitar craze basically combined fender style bodies, with gibson style electronics, but single coils are good for soloing so don't worry. if you're doing some massive distortion stuff you might want to buy hot rails and other single sized humbucking pickups.

frusciante uses pretty stock stuff on his strats as far as i know, even though their vintage, so you should be able to get a similar sound.

iron maiden use hot rails for their soloing on strats.
Marty
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i use a fat strat and with low action yes i can solo with it and yes you can hit pinch harmonics with it.

Whoop-dee-doo. Pinch harmonics can be hit even without pickups.

To threadstarter;
Listen a few Hendrix songs, and you will find the answer.
uhh.. yeah

Hendrix, SRV, Morello.. lets get real here.

Love
Quote by Kartman

Way to go, guitar_man_guy!

(You should sig me)

Co-Founder of the 'Heretics And/Or Killers'(Protest the Hero Fan Club) P.M Me or T0xicitY to join!
david gilmour uses strats and his lead tone is insane.

It depends on your amp more than your guitar.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
the only problem i can possible imagine would be if the single coils aren't the best quality (not sure about MIM strats) then they might be noisy, modern single coils don't tend to be that noisy if they're good quality though.
Marty
John Frusciante gets an awesome lead sound form his strat, so you could just do what he does and get an MXR preamp for a more fatter sound from the strats singles.
Strats be very versatile! i mean... Iron Maiden use em, showing you can get a neat heavy sound and soloing tone from them. and then ya have Gilmour, Hendrix, Yngiwe, Clapton, Zappa,Jeff Beck,Eric johnson... very very versatile, great guitar to own at least!
Very versatile indeed. Listen to Yngwie, Crue, RHCP, Skynyrd.
Quote by Cocnut Rag
david gilmour uses strats and his lead tone is insane.

It depends on your amp more than your guitar.

David Gilmour uses EMGs in his Strat. That's why his lead tone is so thick. Also, I disagree with the idea that all your tone comes from your amp. This is simply not true. Your tone comes from everything from your fingers to your speaker. It's something where the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. You can make the biggest change to your guitar's tone by switching amps, yes, but every part of your actual tone is equally as important.

Also, Yngwie uses DiMarzio stacked humbuckers in his Strats. I would say Eric Johnson, SRV and Hendrix are the best examples of true single coil Strat lead tones (Clapton's Strat has mid-boost wiring uncharacteristic of most Strats). If you get a boost pedal, this will also help with your leads.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Aug 25, 2006,
and yet the best thing is that it goes from sharp rocky sound to a nice blues tune
just raise the neck pickup and use aggresive picking, itll give you an awsome fat tone.
Eddie Hazel, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Hubert Sumlin, John Frusciante, Tom Morello... Yeah, I reckon you can use Strats for solos.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I love the crunch of my strat for solos and even some thrash stuff (like seek and destroy)
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by Dirk Gently
David Gilmour uses EMGs in his Strat. That's why his lead tone is so thick. Also, I disagree with the idea that all your tone comes from your amp. This is simply not true. Your tone comes from everything from your fingers to your speaker. It's something where the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. You can make the biggest change to your guitar's tone by switching amps, yes, but every part of your actual tone is equally as important.

Also, Yngwie uses DiMarzio stacked humbuckers in his Strats. I would say Eric Johnson, SRV and Hendrix are the best examples of true single coil Strat lead tones (Clapton's Strat has mid-boost wiring uncharacteristic of most Strats). If you get a boost pedal, this will also help with your leads.

gilmour didn't always use emg's he used stock fender pickups in all of his strats on most of his work with pink floyd
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.