So i have a question about skate punk, im talkin bout bands like pennywise and no use for a name and other so-cal skate punk bands.

is it a form of punk or pop-punk

i have found arguments that would support either but im not entirely sure
It can probably go either way. Pennywise seems closer to punk than pop-punk, but other examples, to me any ways, seem like they'd be pop-punk.
Quote by MyNameBeMikal
It can probably go either way. Pennywise seems closer to punk than pop-punk, but other examples, to me any ways, seem like they'd be pop-punk.

I think there's a very blurred line between the two. I always considered skatepunk to be faster and more aggressive than what I would consider pop-punk's So-Cal bands to be.
Pennywise and no use for a name are not skate punk.

Neither is bad religion or nofx or any of those bands.

Skate Punk is bands like Gang Green and JFA and Los Olvidados and Faction.

The bands you're thinking of are better fitted in the pop-punk forum.

There's already a thread in here dedicated to real skate punk that you can look at.
Jeez... you guys still argue over what some band is labeled? Who cares. Maybe they're what skatepunk has evolved into. Especially since the bands ya mention as bein skatepunk are old as dirt. Maybe they got thier influences from those same aforementioned skatepunk bands. If ya like it, and ya can skate to it, then hell, maybe its skatepunk to someone. Its all rock n roll to me.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
Jeez... you guys still argue over what some band is labeled? Who cares. Maybe they're what skatepunk has evolved into. Especially since the bands ya mention as bein skatepunk are old as dirt. Maybe they got thier influences from those same aforementioned skatepunk bands. If ya like it, and ya can skate to it, then hell, maybe its skatepunk to someone. Its all rock n roll to me.

Labels aren't used to say whether a band is good or bad. Labels, when used correctly, help identify what kind of music a band plays. If he came in here and asked "hey, what cool rock and roll songs should I listen to while I skate?" imagine the kinds of answers he'd get.

Hell.. I used to skate to pennywise, bad religion, etc. etc. 6 years ago or so. Still never considered them skate punk. A lot of skaters listen to rap while skating... that's not skate punk, is it? I don't understand why everybody's so uptight and afraid about labeling music. It's not like I said "hey, don't listen to those bands. They suck." I just feel that they misrepresent what the skate punk genre has come to be respected as among modern punks.

So what if the bands are old as dirt? Subgenres do wear out and "die off." I'm sure there are some kids in a garage somewhere playing tunes in the light of those old skate punk bands

Sure.. maybe it did "evolve" into that. And maybe hardcore also "evolved" into Norma Jean... It's the same concept.
I wasn't saying that the bands bein old didn't still qualify them to be listened to or for them to still be out pplaying. And I'm not sayin that just because you skate to somethin its skatepunk. My point is that the bands he mentioned werre probably influenced by those bands and therefore are PROBABLY the new skatepunk of the era. If they're skatepunk to him, then hell, they're skatepunk. I call the Ramones a punk band, but people sure do like to argue that they are pop. My point is, sometimes its better to just let someone label thier chosen style of music the way they want.

p.s. I'd rather spend time listening to the music than arguing about what style it is.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
The Unseen are sometimes considered to be skate punk and they sound completely opposite to pop/punk so...
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
The Unseen are sometimes considered to be skate punk and they sound completely opposite to pop/punk so...

You haven't listened to much punk, have you? New Unseen (meaning basically post-2000) is practically pop-rock.
I hate calling it skate-punk, so to the dismay of those who actually know something about use it, I called it mod-punk... mod being moderate... thought I made that shit up. Go to HELL reality.
Live fast, die young.
^Of this I am aware, but I'm talking about the sound, not the subject.

And songs about skating seem like they wouldn't be so passionate as I'd like...
Live fast, die young.
Quote by hardrock1315
You haven't listened to much punk, have you? New Unseen (meaning basically post-2000) is practically pop-rock.

explode was pretty good , i think its after paul left the band fell down
I consider anything u hear while watching x-games on the tv as skate punk!! and anything that can get u in the mood to take out yer skateboard and get rolling!!
and for that reason i consider Rise Against as a good skate punk band!!!
although, Cky can be considered as a good skate punk band too!!
Quote by af_the_fragile
I consider anything u hear while watching x-games on the tv as skate punk!! and anything that can get u in the mood to take out yer skateboard and get rolling!!
and for that reason i consider Rise Against as a good skate punk band!!!
although, Cky can be considered as a good skate punk band too!!

...is this kid serious.. skate punk is pretty much the old shool so-cal hardcore bands... and any band you find on a skate deack at www.angryyoungandpoor.com