okay, so i wanted a tom delonge strat(1-humbucker) but didnt have the money to buy it, and i also wanted to know the basic idea of guitar building, I decided to build a guitar with leftover parts.

I had the neck, body, and other parts which was originally from a cheap chinese strat. I decided to sand and repaint the guitar since it was dirty and was in horrible condition.(↓guitar's original pic)

i sanded the headstock and body, then sprayed wood polymer. after that i used some yellow laquer spray.

after that replaced the bridge, knobs, pots to 500K, and changed the bridge pickup to a used Dimarzio humbucker.

i also arranged the wiring so it's a 1-volume, 1-tone guitar. the single coil pickups are just fake ones, so it's actually a 1-Humbucker guitar.(I messed up when I was trying to cut the pickguard)

pickups were $25 in USD, bridge was 5$, also i needed some other stuff so it cost me about 60$(7000 yen) in total. it sounds really powerful, and sounds good especially with overdrive.
comments please also I'm thinking of some funny things to put on this guitar(stickers, etc) so ideas would be great too(especially for the headstock)

EDIT: this was the first time i modded a guitar...
also the laquer is really thin on the back, but it turned out to be pretty good, so i left it that way.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Last edited by zoltan256 at Aug 25, 2006,
you might want to buy a new pickgaurd which is cut for a humbucker there pretty cheap

to be honest i dont see the point in one humbucker in a strat, its made for singles and thats the sound that you get a strat for, but still good job
Quote by Dale_kerigan
you might want to buy a new pickgaurd which is cut for a humbucker there pretty cheap

to be honest i dont see the point in one humbucker in a strat, its made for singles and thats the sound that you get a strat for, but still good job

true but what's the harm? i mean there's still 2 single coils there so a hummer can't hurt to bring a bit more crunch in it. i'm personally a fan of superstrats.
Marty
Quote by sashki
Is it just me or don't the pictures work?
its fixed now... seems that i used to much bandwidth on geocities.
more pics: http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/zoltan256/
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by suicidalmoose
true but what's the harm? i mean there's still 2 single coils there so a hummer can't hurt to bring a bit more crunch in it. i'm personally a fan of fatstrats.

Edited for correctness .

But in response to the thread, it looks pretty decent, especially since it's your first try (it is your first isn't it? ). However, the laquer on the back looks a little thin, maybe you should give it another coat? Unless that's the look you're going for.

Regardless, great job!
I'd block the vibrato assembly too, since you are (presumably) a punk guitarist. Buy some more springs to put in the back and block up the gap in the body with a bit of wood. Also, pickguards aren't too expensive, so you might as well buy a new one and do whatever you did wrong, right.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I wanted to a delonge too (single bucker I know I know but I think it sounds good) so I bought a squier affinity strat as it's alder like a standard.

So I got it in blue but decided what the hell and redid it black with john mayer like speed stripes (gray) and of course bought a new pickguard, duncan invader and a convertible bridge to go from tremelo to hardtail.

All in all it wasn't easy but they're really really fun guitars!
cool, thats simlar to my baby. My BASTARDCASTER. It has a no name humbucker in the bridge (what? I like the way it sounds) a tone and a volume. Heres a picture of it(but I put black speed knobs on it since then):

I'm to lazy to resize the picture right now. It has some really random stickers on it.
Quote by livrockdie
cool, thats simlar to my baby. My BASTARDCASTER. It has a no name humbucker in the bridge (what? I like the way it sounds) a tone and a volume. Heres a picture of it(but I put black speed knobs on it since then):

I'm to lazy to resize the picture right now. It has some really random stickers on it.
thats a cool gutiar... the stickers look nice
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

Thank you. I'm working on putting a pickup in my acoustic now. Well, its in there but theres some problems. Check out the "acoustic electric" thread to see what I mean.
i added some tape and stickers... heres the pic
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

take off the hanging stuff its dumb looking

tape around the lower horn (its what most people do when they lose screws but it looks cool on an F**cked up guitar)
It looks horribly disgusting. Srry.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by livrockdie
take off the hanging stuff its dumb looking

tape around the lower horn (its what most people do when they lose screws but it looks cool on an F**cked up guitar)
yea i know it looks really gay what do you mean by the "lower horn"?
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

like this?

it doesnt look very well, so i think ill take it off later...
also i ran out of tape
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

Last edited by zoltan256 at Aug 26, 2006,
Ya, but you wrap the whole horn. It dosent look good with you design though(or maybe its that tape.). take the tape off the horns and just leave the piece across the body.
The front dont look too bad, but the back is hideous. And just so oyu know, I huess it didnt sink in when others posted it. Tom DeLonge's strat has only on humbucker and no other pickups and only one volume knob and nothing else. And I dont know your financial situation but with the gold birdge and chrome hardware, hand hacksaw cut pickguard, that thing over all looks horrible. Youd be best off to invest in a pickguard made for a Fat Strat setup and a chrome bridge. And dont pull that emo BS with putting on stickers to make a sh itty paint job come off as acceptable. Strip it back down re paint it and take your time to make it look good and then match up the hardware finishes and buy a shop made pick guard, and then youll have a good looking guitar.
^well I'm planning to get a new pickguard and other parts soon... it's just that guitar parts in japan cost so much... its like 35$ USD for a pickguard(it costs more than the guitar!! ), and it doesnt make sense using any more money on a cheap guitar that is made or hardwood or agathis.
I'm thinking of modding a squier affinity tele(alder body) soon, and when I do that i'll be serious and take more time... I was just playing around with this one to learn about guitars and soldering.

anyways heres an updated pic

Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

is it just me, or does the back have green all over it. I looked better before the paintjob m8.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Honestly, it looked better before. I'd strip it and repaint and take all the dumb stickers off and crap.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I think the yellow with stickers is awesome. If he likes it, keep it that way. It's what you like, not other people. I personally think you should get a new pickguard, but that's just my opinion.
yeah a new pickgaurd would do wonders for it, other than that nice idea, i'd just use duct tape for the stickery things though rather than them badminton sticker whatever they are's
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
to be quite honest, i'd buy a new guitar mate. Wtf have you done to this poor thing. Now it looks total s**t. If you wanted the tom delonge look then why not buy the guitar. Whatever you do, dont try guitar modification again
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Damn, you bastardized that whole guitar, but especially the pickguard.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by stevo192
to be quite honest, i'd buy a new guitar mate. Wtf have you done to this poor thing. Now it looks total s**t. If you wanted the tom delonge look then why not buy the guitar. Whatever you do, dont try guitar modification again

Hey man, it's a learning curve, y'know? Just because his first guitar didn't come out too well doesn't mean he should never try again, don't be so harsh!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I personally don't like stickers but design is always personal ... so, whatever makes you happy

Now, if you're going to do some refinishing in the future, these 2 websites have been very helpful:

Project Guitar

and

ReRanch 101

BTW, Japan-made Fenders, for the local market, are pretty awesome. I've gotten my dad to bring some from his business travels and twice when I visited.
Quote by stevo192

Hey man maybe he doesn't have $400 to buy that guitar, I mean by the looks of it he can't even afford a pickguard. Besides the TDL guitar has only 1 p/u, this one has 3 and the paint job turned out a lot better than mine!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."